Rex's house hits the market

papazoid

Yes but it's a city where the worst times are potentially behind it. I know a lot of former Buffalonians love to tell themselves the narrative that the area is dead, but it isn't true. If you want to say you left for better taxes,weather, etc that is fine. However, it's slowly becoming an wives tale that the economic grass is greener on the other side. People with skills and education can succeed in most fields in WNY just as much as they can elsewhere. People without either will struggle just as much elsewhere as they would in WNY. The golden age of finding greener pastures is over.

The bolded part I agree with. the rest I don't. I garnered the skills and education in WNY to earn a nice living, then headed south for more tolerable weather. I get back once a year -in the early Fall.

I agree, I think the city hit rock bottom in the early to mid eighties and was kind of stuck in that rut and stagnation through most of the nineties. Other cities boomed and skylines exploded upwards while Buffalo seemed to tear down more than it built. There is a lot of private and public investment going on now, people putting their own money into infrastructure and projects and getting returns. it just feels like momentum has turned and is sustainable. Even manufacturing is returning with Solar City/Tesla. It's not all great- the east side is not exactly along on the reinasance ride. Taxes are still prohibitive for business. Compared to many other areas, buffalo is doing well. Just need the Bills to catch up now!

Most of the Buffalo "boom" is the result of Cuomo's "Buffalo Billion", which turns out is mired in scandal.