49ers hiring John Lynch as GM

YoloinOhio

He's never been a scout, nor has he ever led an organization, but now he's going to lead an organization of scouts. Makes perfect sense.

If I was scout for the 49ers, I'd be dismayed that I have a raw neophyte who doesn't know what he's doing for a leader. If I was a scout looking for a job, I'd stay clear of the 49ers.

If I was a fan of the 49ers, I'd be worried. Lynch just might prove himself to be a quick and able learner. But there aren't a lot of good reasons to predict success here.

Are you saying that after playing football for his whole life, including a decade in the NFL, that Lynch can't watch football players and tell who is good and who isn't? I am not saying that scouting isn't difficult - I think it is very difficult and an inexact science, especially with no direct experience, but I would expect that a former NFL player and Stanford graduate could do a decent job of it.

Heck, a lot of us on here think that we can watch college football or peruse game film from websites and have a pretty informed opinion of how a college player will do as a pro. Further, we treat the NFL player assessments done by ProFootballFocus as gospel, yet I don't think that those folks have any actual NFL experience, either (nor do they know what any player's responsibilities are on any given play).

Just wait until the draft when the Bills' picks - selected by an experienced GM and scouting staff are roundly criticized by media and fans with no qualifications to do so. I suppose that those fans and media don't think that their criticisms are invalid just because they have no experience in a NFL front office.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that after playing football for his whole life, including a decade in the NFL, that Lynch can't watch football players and tell who is good and who isn't? I am not saying that scouting isn't difficult - I think it is very difficult and an inexact science, especially with no direct experience, but I would expect that a former NFL player and Stanford graduate could do a decent job of it.

Heck, a lot of us on here think that we can watch college football or peruse game film from websites and have a pretty informed opinion of how a college player will do as a pro. Further, we treat the NFL player assessments done by ProFootballFocus as gospel, yet I don't think that those folks have any actual NFL experience, either (nor do they know what any player's responsibilities are on any given play).

Just wait until the draft when the Bills' picks - selected by an experienced GM and scouting staff are roundly criticized by media and fans with no qualifications to do so. I suppose that those fans and media don't think that their criticisms are invalid just because they have no experience in a NFL front office.

Lynch just hired the Broncos top scout to take over the 9ers scouting department.

He hired Adam Peters from Denver and his title will be Vice President of player personnel. That's worth a mention if your going to debate the Lynch hire.

Until the Bills get a hire right I wouldn't be so quick to judge any other organization. The 9ers now look to have Lynch, Peters and Kyle Shanahan locked in, I would take the fresh blood over a beaten down Whaley and I'd prefer the offensive minded KS over Big Mac.

Why? What was the bigger problem on the team last year: offense or defense?

And the fortunes of the 49'ers, like the Bills, will rest on how good the QB is. Unless Shanahan is bringing Matty Ice with him...

Millen as well..

Again the point being discussed is whether this is unprecedented or not. It's not.

I never said it was unprecedented.

Why? What was the bigger problem on the team last year: offense or defense?

And the fortunes of the 49'ers, like the Bills, will rest on how good the QB is. Unless Shanahan is bringing Matty Ice with him...

I never said it was unprecedented.

Long term philosophy not just a one year fix. The game is trending towards easier offense and I'd prefer a coach who excels in that area.

Long term philosophy not just a one year fix. The game is trending towards easier offense and I'd prefer a coach who excels in that area.

I was never that impressed with Shananan as an OC. Again he like all OC's needs a good QB to succeed and his history proves that.

Until the Bills get a hire right I wouldn't be so quick to judge any other organization. The 9ers now look to have Lynch, Peters and Kyle Shanahan locked in, I would take the fresh blood over a beaten down Whaley and I'd prefer the offensive minded KS over Big Mac.

Why? I don't hate the Lynch hire I think it is a risk but time will tell there is no reason it can't work.

But why am I not allowed to think badly of other teams' hires just because I support the Bills? I am allowed to think the Bills normally get it wrong and other teams get it wrong.

By your logic only the Patriots fans are allowed to criticise other teams' decisions.

Why? I don't hate the Lynch hire I think it is a risk but time will tell there is no reason it can't work.

But why am I not allowed to think badly of other teams' hires just because I support the Bills? I am allowed to think the Bills normally get it wrong and other teams get it wrong.

By your logic only the Patriots fans are allowed to criticise other teams' decisions.

So the Patriots are the only competent team in the NFL? To jump all over the Lynch hire like a bunch of folks did was premature at best. A few days later he brings in Denvers top scout and suddenly it looks like the pieces of the puzzle might fit. We don't need to discuss Denvers recent success regarding draft day and pro personnel decisions, do we? I'm assuming this was a favor done by Elway for both Lynch and Peters.

OBD is a special kind of incompetent and until that gets fixed I choose to direct the majority of my criticism towards them. I'd have a hard time laughing while talking to a 9ers fan about the Lynch hire and then trying to defend OBD's decision making. The Bills have one direction and that is a seemingly endless path from bad to mediocrity. I still don't see a plan in place.

Edited by Commonsense

If only it were that simple. And you don't have to have an offensive minded HC to win games.

I didn't say it was easy nor did I say you need an offensive coach. It's personal preference but no one can ignore the emergence of Gase/Manning, KS/Ryan, Mcdaniels/Brady, Cooter/Stafford etc. I want a modern day QB and a guy in place who can grow with him, KS could have been that guy but of course you have to trust him as a HC to make the hire.

I didn't say it was easy nor did I say you need an offensive coach. It's personal preference but no one can ignore the emergence of Gase/Manning, KS/Ryan, Mcdaniels/Brady, Cooter/Stafford etc. I want a modern day QB and a guy in place who can grow with him, KS could have been that guy but of course you have to trust him as a HC to make the hire.

I'll settle for finding that first and then the coach if need be.

OBD is a special kind of incompetent and until that gets fixed I choose to direct the majority of my criticism towards them. I'd have a hard time laughing while talking to a 9ers fan about the Lynch hire and then trying to defend OBD's decision making. The Bills have one direction and that is a seemingly endless path from bad to mediocrity. I still don't see a plan in place.

Why do you have to defend the Bills? You don't. It is possible to think the Bills ballsed it up and other teams did the same. You say that the Patriots are not the only competent organisation... that's true but the Bills are FAR from the only incompetent one.

This is the 49ers that chose Baalke over Harbaugh and then have just had 2 consecutive 1 and done disasters as Head Coaches.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/john-lynch-demanded-secrecy-test-49ers-leak-info/story?id=45199037&yptr=yahoo

This shows he is very intelligence understanding that leaks are NOT good for football teams.

Personally if I think if a staff member, even if he is a washroom attendant passing on something he found in trash bin, leaks an item he or she should be fired for cause losing any unemployment or guarantee of contract.

Before agreeing to become the general manager of the San Francisco 49ers, John Lynch had some questions about the team's recent reputation for leaking information.
So Lynch decided to use his candidacy for the job to put the team to the test. Speaking to KNBR radio in San Francisco on Wednesday morning, Lynch said he asked CEO Jed York and executive Paraag Marathe to keep his name a secret during their search for a new general manager.
"I made a big deal that this stayed quiet," Lynch said. "First of all, you know what I was doing? Part of the rumors are things fly out of that building. So I wanted to see could I trust this building, you know? And so that was part of my thinking."
Through the past few years, the 49ers had become known for information seeping out, notably including many concerning quarterback Colin Kaepernick's status and most recently with the news that coach Chip Kelly and general manager Trent Baalke would be fired the night before the season finale against Seattle.