Espn: Buyer Beware for teams promoting internal coaches

YoloinOhio

Joe Collier was ok his first year and then the wheels came off. Harvey Johnson....not once but twice. Why Ralph ever did that was beyond me. His second tenure was the worst Bills team ever, 1-13. Then he did the same with Jim Ringo a few years later. Ringo was an interim, but the others weren't. When promoting from withing the record isn't much better, Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough, at least Wade Phillips had two winnig seasons and made the playoffs.

PS John Rauch was not an interim or a promote from within. He came from the Raiders and was awful while here.

@seifertESPN

Jaguars hire Doug Marrone. Bills consider Anthony Lynn. Warning: History of promoting interim coaches is bleak

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/228260/doug-marrone-hire-by-jaguars-buyer-beware-for-teams-promoting-interim-coaches

Interesting post.

So 6 of 9 previous interim HC hired as permanent HC this century produced losing records and 4 were fired in 2 years. Only Jason Garrett has had a winning record in >1 yr.

But what is the record of outside HC candidates hired to replace fired coaches? I mean, that sounds bad for promoting an interim HC, but what if 30% success for the next HC in the situation of replacing a fired coach is actually typical no matter where the coach comes from? Or maybe it's even worse?

I'm not thrilled about doing the research to answer my own question. Anyone know?

I think simply saying, "the players like him" is a bit misleading. I don't think any player is going to badmouth a coach they currently play for or has a potential at becoming their head coach. Take Rex Ryan as an example. When he was our coach, every player said, "We're all in", and, "I think we can win with him". Now that he's gone, you hear a lot of, "The system was too difficult", and, "We need a coach that demands discipline."

In other words, I don't think any of us know whether or not the players actually like Anthony Lynn until he's gone and then are asked. I'm not saying he should or should not be our coach, I would just like more objective evidence than, "the players like him" or, "he is respected". Of course he is. He is the current head coach.

Lynn is such a respected coach, everyone wants him, but he's been a RB coach forever and only became OC this season when the OC was fired.

Why didn't someone at least promote the man to OC if he was so sought after?

It's not an attack. It's a question. How does a guy who has never been able to rise above RB coach suddenly deserve to be HC?

Someone pointed out that it may be harder for minorities to step up to coordinator positions as well. That may be doubly true if Lynn is a run-first offensive philosophy guy in a pass-happy league.

But I have the same question: why did he stay with Ryan for 4 years, and when Ryan changed OCs, if Lynn is such a hot candidate, Ryan favors a run-heavy approach, and thinks so highly of Lynn, why not promote Lynn to OC himself in 2013 (when Lynn already had 10 years as RB coach) instead of bringing in the much-traveled Mornhinweg?

I think simply saying, "the players like him" is a bit misleading. I don't think any player is going to badmouth a coach they currently play for or has a potential at becoming their head coach. Take Rex Ryan as an example. When he was our coach, every player said, "We're all in", and, "I think we can win with him". Now that he's gone, you hear a lot of, "The system was too difficult", and, "We need a coach that demands discipline."

In other words, I don't think any of us know whether or not the players actually like Anthony Lynn until he's gone and then are asked. I'm not saying he should or should not be our coach, I would just like more objective evidence than, "the players like him" or, "he is respected". Of course he is. He is the current head coach.

Good points. It's never a career-enhancing prospect to bad-mouth or critique the guy who is and might continue to be your boss.

I think there's an additional point in that people have a natural tendency to mistrust change and cling to the familiar, even if the familiar is mediocre. Sometimes people accept mediocre because they've never known good or great, so it's comfortable. Sometimes people accept mediocre because they're getting a lot of positive feedback, and the new, though it has the promise of being better, is not necessarily better for you.

Note, I'm not saying Lynn is mediocre; I hope he's a great coach and a leader of men, especially if we hire him. Just giving another viewpoint on why people, even people who see the need for change, tend to cling to the familiar.