Defense! Defense! Defense!!!

ROONDOGG55

The Bills D was average, the Bills O was Average. Bills record (if you didn't tank the last game.) was average. Oakland had a terrible D and a stellar O and are in the playoffs. Bills need to excel on one side of the ball or the other. IMO they are closer to doing that on O than D right now. Great RB check! Great/good WR Check, decent O line check... QB ????? (I ain't touching that one with a ten foot pool)

You are surprisingly rational and decent for a Pats* fan. This is correct. The answer for qb is not good enough.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Something tells me you haven't run the numbers here.

The numbers that show we averaged 23.7 points per game against those teams while our blameless defense gave up an average of 28.4 points.

23.7 points a game should get you more wins unless you have a defense that doesn't tackle and gives up 28.4 points. I'm hopeful we have Tyrod back with a healthy Sammy coz that 23.7 is going to be a lot higher.

For all of those QB hatin' naysayers out there that consistently blame our QB for the Bills problems (Including Jim Kelly), you are fricken wrong!! That mediocre QB orchestrated the best rushing attack our team has ever had. And a lot of that has to do with his dual threat capabilities. Now our passing game wasn't the greatest, but it also didn't need to be either. Our defense was absolutely horrid, and even worse when we really needed stops. The QB has nothing to do with guys whiffing tackles, blitzing the house EVERY time on 3rd down, playing a 5'6" CB on a 6'7" TE (and then bench him failing in coverage lmfao). I can go on for days, but none of this has anything to do with the damn QB. The defense let us down when we all thought it would be our best asset.

Now, to be honest, I would love to have a prolific QB that can sling the rock up and down the field, but we have had zero success in finding one. I really don't believe that our scouting department has a clue about evaluating QB talent at all. Cardale is definitely not the answer either. The dude has tremendous talent with his size and arm strength, but like EJ, he just doesn't have the ability to make an educated decision. Now off the filed these guys are bright and intelligent young men, but will never be consistent QBs.

So basically what I am saying, is we need to restructure TT's deal and keep him. Hire a defensive minded HC or pick up a great coordinator that can reshape this defense into what it was three seasons ago. Most of the parts are still there. Retain Z. Brown, Lorax, maybe Woody, draft a ball hawking safety and a replacement for Gilly. Drafting Malik Hooker or Quincy Wilson could fill one of those holes with the top pick in the draft.

As for replacements at the top spot, I'm good with retaining Lynn, The Rocket Scientist, and maybe McDerminator. Was big on him last year when the Panthers D was unstoppable, but this year was pretty bad.

Well said, could not agree with you more.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

Since a rookie contract is cheap, I think the best shot is to retain Tyrod and keep looking for that really good QB in the draft.

The problem with thinking "toss this dude on the scrap heap, he's not good enough" is that the draft is far from a sure bet, even with the best talent evaluators.

Meanwhile losing becomes a habit, just like anything else a team does - so if you have a losing culture, and you plug in a QB who might be a winner on a team that's used to trying hard, he's pushing a rock uphill.

Better IMHO to keep a capable QB who can win some games and push to have a scrappy team that tries hard 100% of the time, while looking for a better QB.

What is going on. We have a thread with people making a lot of sense. Tyrod makes plays and does not turn the ball over. He is not HOF bound but given the chance he can run an efficient offense like he did in week 16.

Well if TT wasn't a dumpster fire he would complete checkdowns when heavily rushed like the good qb's do (5 rushers)

Ahhh it was all the defense. Not the guy who can't complete passes. Got it. Listen to jimbo, TT ain't it bruh.

Is Tannehill it bruh?

They have tried to build the D up the past 2 years but the coaching change royally screwed this up by changing schemes. It's hard to win with a great defense because you have to rely on having 11 good to great players and little to no injuries.

A good QB can get a mediocre defense to the playoffs.

We can go 7-9 without Tyrod. He isn't the answer at the position.

Explain to me how it is difficult to win with a great defense? Almost every championship winning team had a great defense. You have no idea what you are talking about do you?

The problem is Tyrod and his passing struggles don't allow us to sustain drives late in the game to kill clock etc. Jim Kelly called him out on it yesterday perfectly.

Dude, the problem was that the defense gave up those leads. I don't understand why some of you think TT needs to put up crazy numbers for us to win. Winning games late when the defense has shut down the offense is a must, and some times he can't make the plays. But dude, when the defense gives up 20 point leads late in the game there's not much a QB can do to fix that.

Yes Tannenhill was it this year. When Taylor floundered in first Miami game the Tannman pantsed him.

That and playoffs.

So, when the Bills were up 17-6 with 6 min left in the 3rd quarter, TT lost them the game?? When the Fins ran for 256 yds and 2 tds, it was TT fault? Or how about, when the defense allowed three straight TD scoring drives happen right before their eyes...was that TT's fault as well? Dude, you're amazing lmao

So, when the Bills were up 17-6 with 6 min left in the 3rd quarter, TT lost them the game?? When the Fins ran for 256 yds and 2 tds, it was TT fault? Or how about, when the defense allowed three straight TD scoring drives happen right before their eyes...was that TT's fault as well? Dude, you're amazing lmao

God forbid he makes any plays in the 4th qtr. he's so great !

He's limited, we don't see the same thing here. Hopefully you can enjoy him as the Bears qb next year.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Never said he is great, and never will. All I am saying is that if our defense had performed like it was capable, he wouldn't have to lead those drives on an every game basis.

Actually the answer is probably the O-Line. Dallas made sure they got a high quality O-Line and a rookie like Prescott was able to come in and perform admirably. Put Prescott behind the Bills' O-Line and he is more like Bortles or any number of other young QBs that occasionally look good but ultimately end up in Mediocre Acres.

Never said he is great, and never will. All I am saying is that if our defense had performed like it was capable, he wouldn't have to lead those drives on an every game basis.

That's fair and has some validity for sure.

I see a low ceiling personally and would like to move on.

He's limited, we don't see the same thing here. Hopefully you can enjoy him as the Bears qb next year.

Actually I envision Romo playing up there next season. John Fox isn't a mobile QB kind of guy, he's a vet QB guy, and Romo played at Illinois.

A part from that, I completely understand why you want another signal caller back there. Everyone wants a Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers type guy, but we will never get him. Now, if we manage to snag the next great QB it definitely will not be with our current scouting department and GM in place. Whaley likes big, dumb, mobile QBs like what Rothlisburger was with the Steelers when he was a part of their scouting department. Just look at the last two QBs he has drafted. Whaley will never draft the guy that every Bills fan wants as their QB, and he certainly won't draft the guy you have as your profile pic.

the ONLY way I would bring TT backs is under a new heavy incentive negotiated deal after he tests FA which he would. I would not give him the offseason deal, that deal was a for a QB who could win games in the 4th quarter and hang with above .500 teams which he proven woefully incabale of

He has his positives and coulds still grow till the next QB is found and wins the job.. but the offseason option deal that is on the table now is way to rich of a deal for a what TT showed us in 2016.. Change much of that money into incentives and re offer it

Actually the answer is probably the O-Line. Dallas made sure they got a high quality O-Line and a rookie like Prescott was able to come in and perform admirably. Put Prescott behind the Bills' O-Line and he is more like Bortles or any number of other young QBs that occasionally look good but ultimately end up in Mediocre Acres.

Dude, we get a better RT and we'll be one of the best lines out there. We gave up a lot of coverage, and scramble sacks. TT has been horrible in that department, hanging on to the ball way too long and missing the open guys. Dak on the other hand could have been great here as well, we will never know...

That's fair and has some validity for sure.

I see a low ceiling personally and would like to move on.

I definitely agree about the ceiling, but I'd like to keep him and maintain what we have until someone better wins the job. Draft and develop guys to replace starters no matter how safe the position is. You never know when they might go down...we need a "next man up" kind of motto around here.

the ONLY way I would bring TT backs is under a new heavy incentive negotiated deal after he tests FA which he would. I would not give him the offseason deal, that deal was a for a QB who could win games in the 4th quarter and hang with above .500 teams which he proven woefully incabale of

He has his positives and coulds still grow till the next QB is found and wins the job.. but the offseason option deal that is on the table now is way to rich of a deal for a what TT showed us in 2016.. Change much of that money into incentives and re offer it

I agree, we have to pay him less. He's not worth that amount, but he's worth keeping around for a lesser amount.

Kelly's an a-hole, and a choke artist. There. I SAID IT!

Low blow man, that's like telling a kid Santa Clause isn't real.

Kelly, along with a great defense, great running game, and great special teams, and a great backup QB helped this team get to the promise land. He was a big part, but definitely not the only reason why we were successful.

WHILE many here and especially buffalo media ,tell you that they must have better scouting,,,keep this in mind, scouting is a inexact science,, if it were obvious who the pick should be ",DAK " would have been the first overall pick and every team passed on him till the 4th, he was viewed as a project, so much for projects. i guess,,

I agree, we have to pay him less. He's not worth that amount, but he's worth keeping around for a lesser amount.

Low blow man, that's like telling a kid Santa Clause isn't real.

Kelly, along with a great defense, great running game, and great special teams, and a great backup QB helped this team get to the promise land. He was a big part, but definitely not the only reason why we were successful.

And 2 HOF receiver's. He didn't need to be all that accurate with Lofton, Just throw it up there and be sure to not overthrow him. Lofton was the best ever at adjusting his speed, so that he would always catch the ball in front of him. Not just keep running and watch the ball land short into the defenders hands like todays receivers do. I still think he was the best ever.

WHILE many here and especially buffalo media ,tell you that they must have better scouting,,,keep this in mind, scouting is a inexact science,, if it were obvious who the pick should be ",DAK " would have been the first overall pick and every team passed on him till the 4th, he was viewed as a project, so much for projects. i guess,,

He would have been a high pick if he didn't have off field issues. Without the fight in Florida he would have been picked in the 1st or 2nd round for sure.