Video: Pegula:"Whaley questioned Rex...put me to sleep"

https://mobile.twitter.com/NICK_WKBW/status/813897172500496390/video/1

Looks like terry made up his mind to hire Rex after interview #1 and never really took in whaleys input. With reports that Whaley and Rex never got along it's no wonder this team never made the playoffs. Looks like Terry has realized the error he made and is now giving Whaley an opportunity to finally 100% run the show himself

Edited by TallskiWallski83

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. thats telling......hope its not damage control....but with the coaches Russ has brought in over the drought I believe it.

The video is from when they announced Rex's hiring. It basically contrdicts a lot of the finger blaming the media is directing towards Whaley. Perhaps he IS telling the truth and he has no say in Rex's firing.

My guess is that the vision for the team was controlled by Rex, who reported to Pegula directly. Whaley was tasked with finding players Rex liked and that's it.It's no secret Rex and Whaley had a strained relationship. Sounds like Whaley didn't agree with all of Rex's decisions, but he went with it because Terry had given Rex a lot of pull within the organization. Hopefully now Whaley gets to run the show entirely and we can finally see what he can do

Edited by TallskiWallski83

You could interpret this entirely the opposite way.

"once we got into the details talk, the stuff about football, Whaley took over..." that's what I heard.

Right. After the owner made up his mind the underlings took care of the details.

The video is from when they announced Rex's hiring. It basically contrdicts a lot of the finger blaming the media is directing towards Whaley. Perhaps he IS telling the truth and he has no say in Rex's firing.

My guess is that the vision for the team was controlled. Y Rex who reported to pegula. Whaley was tasked with finding players Rex liked. It's no secret Rex and Whaley had a strained relationship. Sounds like Whaley didn't agree with all of Rex's decisions, but he went with it because Terry had given Rex a lot of pull within the organization

Yeah, and perhaps now Whaley will have his shot. That Rex proved to be the wrong guy to give leeway to, doesn't necessarily mean Whaley will be the right one. But, he gets his chance now. He'll live or die by the team's success if it is, in fact, his direction they take.

Right. After the owner made up his mind the underlings took care of the details.

And if that was the case, then he would have flatly ignored input from Whaley. I don't see anything in here to suggest that Whaley came out of the details chat pro or against Rex.

Seriously, am I missing something?

Whaley vetted Rex on the football side and he gave the thumbs up. He is culpable.

This is absolutely true. Whaley did the X and O portion for every candidate they interviewed on their cross country junket two years ago.

"once we got into the details talk, the stuff about football, Whaley took over..." that's what I heard.

As some would have it, Doug was on a vacation in the Himalayan mountains when the Pegulas hired Rex behind his back.

This is absolutely true. Whaley did the X and O portion for every candidate they interviewed on their cross country junket two years ago.

Which just about indicates that the idea Whaley was dragged kicking and screaming into working with Rex to be complete mularkey.

And if that was the case, then he would have flatly ignored input from Whaley. I don't see anything in here to suggest that Whaley came out of the details chat pro or against Rex.

Seriously, am I missing something?

The video is proof that Whaley, if involved in Rex's hire at all, only gave the thumbs up. But it does not mean Rex was Whaleys preferred choice. It sounds like Rex was a Pegula/Brandon decision. Whaley has basically had his hands tied as GM and has never had 100% authority to run the football operation. If anything good has come from Rex's failure, it's that he now does have 100% control and he will either live or die with the next coach HE hires.

That's exactly how I interpreted it

And I can't see how anyone could interpret it differently unless they're attempting to support their own pre-conceived agendas.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NICK_WKBW/status/813897172500496390/video/1

Looks like terry made up his mind to hire Rex after interview #1 and never really took in whaleys input. With reports that Whaley and Rex never got along it's no wonder this team never made the playoffs. Looks like Terry has realized the error he made and is now giving Whaley an opportunity to finally 100% run the show himself

Wow, how did I miss that the first time around?

Whaley asked a bunch of searching football questions to which Rex said "the right things". Pegula couldn't care less what the questions much less the answers were, he had already made up his mind as had Russ.

The video is proof that Whaley, if involved in Rex's hire at all, only gave the thumbs up. But it does not mean Rex was Whaleys preferred choice. It sounds like Rex was a Pegula/Brandon decision. Whaley has basically had his hands tied as GM and has never had 100% authority to run the football operation. If anything good has come from Rex's failure, it's that he now does have 100% control and he will either live or die with the next coach HE hires.

What--exactly--makes you say this?