This is why Big Pat wants to leave

d_wag

"Even though the Bills say they want to keep him, they haven't made an offer since making an early proposal last summer."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1036008.asp

i don't blame him for shopping his services.......obviously the bills aeren't too eager to get a deal done and he can't sit around waiting on them........if i was in his position, i wouldn't be giving a hometown discount to a team that has made such little effort to retain me........

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is he's not worth more than Sam Adams.  I'm sure the offer they gave him was the same offer they gave Sam, and if Pat hasn't taken it, he can look elsewhere for a deal.

254424[/snapback]

you don't think that offer is outdated? you don't think big pat willl be in more demand then sam was?

you don't think that offer is outdated? you don't think big pat willl be in more demand then sam was?

254425[/snapback]

No. Sam Adams is a better player than Pat Williams. Pat has never been to the Pro Bowl and he really didn't have a good season this year. Hell, I bet many people haven't even heard of Pat Williams.

All signs he indicate he does not want to leave (he says he will take less money to stay, friends on the team speak highly of him) and that TD and the Bills do not want him to go (they speak highly of Pat's role and he has been identified as oneof the three TD wanted to make a deal with last season though he felt he only had the money to get one done.

However, though both want to play well together, there is at least uncertainty, if not a difference in what they believe the free market will offer PW.

It looks to me like the odds are that JJ goes, but the odds are that PW stays.

They are only odds because if someone makes a psychotic offer to PW he is gone. However, I think the cap constraints on the rest of the league and the fact they would have to take this risk on a good player, but a 30 or so year old good player makes it unlikely folks will go there.

I think that this will be like the Ruben Brown thing from years ago. Where Brown was given an offer by the Bills, rejected it because he thought he could command more money. Then, he came crawling back and accepted the offer. I hope it works that way. Pat Williams and his agent just need to see their market before they come back. I hope that they at least will give Buffalo a chance to match whatever offer they get.

Why do you think we are a team on the cusp of greatness? If Pat leaves, why do you think he can only go to some mediorce team? He could go to a contender he needs a DT. If Pat and JJ leave and with a rookie QB in JPL I not sure where we will end up next year.

He has two options, one sign with the bills for a deal similar to sam adams and play for a team on the cusp of greatness, or sign a mega rich deal which will take him to the end of his career, and play for a chump team.

254427[/snapback]

Why would going to another team for more money translate into him playing for a chump team? :D:D

Why do you think we are a team on the cusp of greatness? If Pat leaves, why do you think he can only go to some mediorce team? He could go to a contender he needs a DT. If Pat and JJ leave and with a rookie QB in JPL I not sure where we will end up next year.

254439[/snapback]

some time like the chiefs - a team a lot closer to greatness than the bills - will probably be happy to pony up $4+ mil/year for a very solid, reliable DT. and they wouldn't be stupid to do it, either.

i really can't see either williams or jennings back with the bills next year. the handwriting seems to be on the wall.

Bills could make the deal sound better than it is 5 years for 25 million but back load the salaries and give him a generous signing bonus 7M. I think he would take that--I can't imagine the Bills not wanting to re-sign him. Especially what Ralph was saying about him after the last game.

There is absolutely zero news in all of this stuff that has come out recently. There was zero chance that the Bills were going to make their very best offer to Pat before Free Agency. There was zero chance that Pat was going to sign with the Bills (once it was past the midway point of last year) until he could both see what was out on the open market and use that against the Bills in his impending negotiations with them.

The Bills definitely want him, he definitiely wants the Bills, both have no incentive whatsoever to overpay or overplay their hands right now. It is 100% posturing. FFS was right on the money, unless some team makes an extraordinary offer to Phat Pat that is millions above what the Bills feel (and know) he is worth to them, he will wait it out and then resign with the Bills for a little if not a substantial amount more than he would make if he just agreed now.

The Bills needed to see if he was going to be on the decline over the course of the year (which he didn't seem to be). They couldn't sign all three of the FA-to be, meaning Schobel and Jennings and Williams. They decided Schobel was the guy they most likely wanted at their price, and make the significant offer to him and not to Jennings or Williams. They know they can get Williams for a little less than the going rate but they cannot get Jennings for that. Nothing has or will change in all of this until FA starts and teams start to bring Williams in and discuss dollars with him. TD will without question get to haggle with the agent and the Bills already have a ceiling figure for what they think he is worth to the team. And there is probably a 80-90% chance that he will sign with us. We have the money. We think we are close to winning it all. We like the player. He likes us. Pat will be a Bill.

I think that this will be like the Ruben Brown thing from years ago.  Where Brown was given an offer by the Bills, rejected it because he thought he could command more money.  Then, he came crawling back and accepted the offer.  I hope it works that way.  Pat Williams and his agent just need to see their market before they come back. I hope that they at least will give Buffalo a chance to match whatever offer they get.

254434[/snapback]

Why exactly would you want it to work that way? So he can come back bitter and have it affect everything else, from his onfield attitude to his conditioning ethic? There's times when you have to let guys walk away. See: Hugh Douglas.

4 yrs-$16 million with $6 million guaranteed money

Give him $10 million of that in the first 2 yrs.

Sounds fair too me

254436[/snapback]

My numbers would be broken down like this:

4 yrs-$16 million with $5 million sb plus $1 million roster bonus

Give him the chance to also earn another $2 million from incentives

2005: $2 million salary, $1.25 million proration

2006: $2 million salary, $1.25 million proration, $1 million roster bonus

2007: $3 million salary, $1.25 million proration

2008: $3 million salary, $1.25 million proration

This deal puts $10 million in his pocket the 1st 2 yrs

Why exactly would you want it to work that way? So he can come back bitter and have it affect everything else, from his onfield attitude to his conditioning ethic? There's times when you have to let guys walk away. See: Hugh Douglas.

254504[/snapback]

I'd rather have it happen that way than lose him.

My numbers would be broken down like this:

4 yrs-$16 million with $5 million sb plus $1 million roster bonus

Give him the chance to also earn another $2 million from incentives

2005: $2 million salary, $1.25 million proration

2006: $2 million salary, $1.25 million proration, $1 million roster bonus

2007: $3 million salary, $1.25 million proration

2008: $3 million salary, $1.25 million proration

This deal puts $10 million in his pocket the 1st 2 yrs

254521[/snapback]

I like those numbers. If he was willing to accept that. BTW...how close are those to Sam Adams? Would Big Sam still make more or would he then ask for a raise?

Here's a chance for Pat Williams to do the "New England" thing...take less money in order to keep the team together. He has his business. He has his charities. He's got a lot of goodwill built up in the Buffalo area. Is he going to chuck it for an extra million or two? Yes, that's a lot of money, but it's money he could make up after he retires with local endorsements, support for his business, etc. If he plays his whole career in Buffalo, he's got to be able to make more, shouldn't he?

PTR

I love PW, but this guy will be 33 years old before the 1st half of the season is finished next year. While there are deviations, most defensive lineman are in serious decline at this age. I can't get my arms around $4m+ for this guy.

In my opinio, this team is built to really contend in 2006. Will a 34 year old PW be a factor in 2006, warranting a $4m+ contract? I'm don't believe he will. The most I'd be willing to pay for him is a deal averaging $3-3.5m, with a bonus that doesn't string us up in later years.

Here's hoping both Pat and TD see what is at stake and reach a workable deal.