12-23: Doug Whaley on WGR

26CornerBlitz

Doug hasn't shown an ability to recognize a QB and that will be his downfall unless it changes quickly. From the EJ pick until this day the position has been bungled. What are his answers when the Pegula's ask what scouting report did you have on Dak? Carr? Heck even Brisset seems to have a higher upside than any QB roaming around in Buffalo.

For a team so desperate at QB he has passed on some talented ones which were readily available when we were on the board. Pubically cry about being in "purgatory" because your not bad enough to get good then promptly pass on another starting QB.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, it's actually the opposite take that's thrown around here. Nix gets the 2013 draft and Whaley gets the awesome Hughes trade that also happened that April.

Well, I can only speak for myself. Whaley was a big part of the 2013 draft and the Hughes trade. And he traded down to get EJ and picked up a rookie who was runner up for rookie defensive player of the year, who he flipped for McCoy. That works for me and I hope he takes another early round shot at a qb.

Doug hasn't shown an ability to recognize a QB and that will be his downfall unless it changes quickly. From the EJ pick until this day the position has been bungled. What are his answers when the Pegula's ask what scouting report did you have on Dak? Carr? Heck even Brisset seems to have a higher upside than any QB roaming around in Buffalo.

For a team so desperate at QB he has passed on some talented ones which were readily available when we were on the board. Pubically cry about being in "purgatory" because your not bad enough to get good then promptly pass on another starting QB.

Ha. So Briskett, who played 2 games and went 1-1, has more upside than any Bills qb? Talk about reaching to make a point.

It's laughable how easy people act like it is to find a qb. Jerry Jones wanted Lynch and settled in Prescott. The Pats passed on Brady like 6 times. The Seahawks passed on Wilson at least 3 times.

But Whaley should have drafted Andrew Luck. What a dummy.

GMTM (Tim Murray of the Sabres if not a fan) is also awkward with the media. Either way I take more credit on what they do in terms of talent on the field/ice and I for one feel Whaley's been a good GM. I'd give him an overall grade of B- since he's come here.

WTF? Murray comes across as 10x more confident and knowledgeable than whaley! Whaley sounds like the village idiot talking! at one point today he said their record was "7and7and7."

He is a sleeze, and he's responsible for all the leaks...today just removed all doubt. he was a yammering stammering idiot in the face of what were still relatively softball questions, given all that's been reported.

i thought he got himself fired today...we'll see, i guess.

Well, I can only speak for myself. Whaley was a big part of the 2013 draft and the Hughes trade. And he traded down to get EJ and picked up a rookie who was runner up for rookie defensive player of the year, who he flipped for McCoy. That works for me and I hope he takes another early round shot at a qb.

Ha. So Briskett, who played 2 games and went 1-1, has more upside than any Bills qb? Talk about reaching to make a point.

It's laughable how easy people act like it is to find a qb. Jerry Jones wanted Lynch and settled in Prescott. The Pats passed on Brady like 6 times. The Seahawks passed on Wilson at least 3 times.

We have not done a good job throughout the years, not just with Whaley, in investing in the QB position. It is the number 1 reason for the streak. Take a look at the lack of early round picks spent on the position.

Murray yes. Whaley maybe when it comes to draft choice deals, but not so in player for player trades.

I'd say Whaley is like 50-50 in trades. The McCoy, Hughes trades were robberies. Sammy is an overpay and so might Ragland.

really? Hughes?

I should have been more precise - they both overpay in some trades.

1) There was no reason to pay as much as the Bills did for the Sammy pick given that the Dolphins had set the market the year before by trading LESS to move up MORE spots.

2) I still do not understand trading a first round draft pick for a goaltender that was a back up in Ottawa and whom they could not afford to keep in any event. I think that GMTM did his uncle a favor by trading more than a second round pick. I also wish we could have had the first round pick to include in the ROR deal rather than Zadorov. I also thought that some of the "throw ins" in the Kane/Bogosian deal probably were unnecessary.

Edited by Peter

No one said it's easy. It's his job and he gets paid very well to do it, if he don't figure it out he won't have a job it's that simple. You need a capable QB to take the next step, stop whining to the press about purgatory and find one. They have been available, that was my point and you know that.

Jacoby is getting a lot of love from inside Patriot Place and I'm going to trust their judgement on a QB. Seems they are poised to move on from Jimmy G. some talk of him being soft which came from Ben Volin who is a Pats reporter. You can say it's a reach but they value things that our organization has ignored for to long. Find a quaterback that understands the game and can process it, the most frustrating part of TT is his inability to adjust plays and protection.

That's why I rail on Whaley and his efforts at QB, I don't even think they scout QB's correctly. Heck I wanted Cardale after his National Championship run but he didn't declare, I was still glad we drafted him. You know why? Because I'm a fan and I'm blinded by the excitement a player creates and ignore his most obvious flaws for sake of enjoying the moment. I have said it plenty of times Whaley makes a lot of decisions as if he was one of us fans and not a GM. Sorry I expect more from the leader of an organization than an average TBD poster.

Edited by Commonsense

I should have been more precise - they both overpay in some trades.

1) There was no reason to pay as much as the Bills did for the Sammy pick given that the Dolphins had set the market the year before by trading LESS to move up MORE spots.

2) I still do not understand trading a first round draft pick for a goaltender that was a back up in Ottawa and whom they could not afford to keep in any event. I think that GMTM did his uncle a favor by trading more than a second round pick. I also wish we could have had the first round pick to include in the ROR deal rather than Zadorov. I also thought that some of the "throw ins" in the Kane/Bogosian deal probably were unnecessary.

The market is based on talent and 2014 blew 2013 out of the water in the NFL.

No one said it's easy. It's his job and he gets paid very well to do it, if he don't figure it out he won't have a job it's that simple. You need a capable QB to take the next step, stop whining to the press about purgatory and find one. They have been available, that was my point and you know that.

Jacoby is getting a lot of love from inside Patriot Place and I'm going to trust their judgement on a QB. Seems they are poised to move on from Jimmy G. some talk of him being soft which came from Ben Volin who is a Pats reporter. You can say it's a reach but they value things that our organization has ignored for to long. Find a quaterback that understands the game and can process it, the most frustrating part of TT is his inability to adjust plays and protection.

That's why I rail on Whaley and his efforts at QB, I don't even think they scout QB's correctly. Heck I wanted Cardale after his National Championship run but he didn't declare, I was still glad we drafted him. You know why? Because I'm a fan and I'm blinded by the excitement a player creates and ignore his most obvious flaws for sake of enjoying the moment. I have said it plenty of times Whaley makes a lot of decisions as if he was one of us fans and not a GM. Sorry I expect more from the leader of an organization than an average TBD poster.

What exactly are you saying about Cardale here?

The market is based on talent and 2014 blew 2013 out of the water in the NFL.

I think the Browns took DW to the cleaners and we could have traded less if we had waited them out. If not, I would have stuck to my guns and "settled" for OBJ or someone else.

Yes this is all true. There is a lot more luck, good fortune, randomness...whatever you want to call it, in finding a QB than people want to give it credit for. Where the Bills have fallen down is not drafting enough options at the position.

What exactly are you saying about Cardale here?

Big arm, flashy title run. He was a joy to watch and easy to fall in love with over that short span. Fast forward...a year later he is a misfit at OS and does little to further his career/expectations but our GM also must have fallen in love the previous year.

Big arm, flashy title run. He was a joy to watch and easy to fall in love with over that short span. Fast forward...a year later he is a misfit at OS and does little to further his career/expectations but our GM also must have fallen in love the previous year.

So you've come to the conclusion that he was a bad pick already?

:lol: this place...

So you've come to the conclusion that he was a bad pick already?

:lol: this place...

Is that what I said? I said it was a pick a fan like me would make and it didn't surprise me one bit. Could he surpass Dak and anyone else that emerges from that draft class? Sure, we are all hoping for it.

Have you read how raw his fundamentals are and how bad his footwork is? Did you see any of it for yourself in preseason? He has a long way to go and I'd have a hard time trusting anyone in Buffalo grooming a QB right now.

Edited by Commonsense

WTF? Murray comes across as 10x more confident and knowledgeable than whaley! Whaley sounds like the village idiot talking! at one point today he said their record was "7and7and7."

He is a sleeze, and he's responsible for all the leaks...today just removed all doubt. he was a yammering stammering idiot in the face of what were still relatively softball questions, given all that's been reported.

i thought he got himself fired today...we'll see, i guess.

:lol:

Yeah, pro personnel / scouting is much more his speed... somewhere where he doesn't have to get in front of a mic.

I always laugh at these interviews. Like Doug is going to go on the radio and say "Rex is toast and I might not be far behind".

I'd prefer he said "I heard from [new] owner of Buffalo News say that "Jerry is toast and Bucky might not be far behind".

If so, it certainly has not been a wonderful message to send the players these past few weeks.

. . . and, sadly, those that are leading the crusade against Rex are likely to be rooting for Miami and the Jets . . . .

Closet P*ts fans; like child molesters who think what they is doing is okay but society does not accept them.

I have a question about Doug has the 53 and Rex has the 46. Is it safe to assume, that Rex and Doug work together to acquire players that fit the offensive and defensive schemes of the coaches? I'd rather not think that Doug just says..."Hey I've always liked this guy and I'm going to sign him".

On most teams coaching staff is part of scouting during off-season; not sure if Bills use that model.

Hughes was Nix.

For about the 20th time in the last two weeks, you once again have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

By making up stuff up and presenting it as fact you are accomplishing nothing but embarrassing yourself in front of people who know better.

But please continue in the same manner because it makes it so much easier for other people to decide who to put on their ignore list. :thumbsup:

He is in an impossible situation due to the leaks coming out of OBD. All we really know is that there have been anonymously sourced reports that Rex is a goner and that the Pegulas have not countered those reports with a public statement of any kind which they certainly would have done if there was no chance that he was going to be fired.

Supposedly coming out of OBD - could be an agent or maybe just made up.

And there is absolutely NO reason why the Pegulas should reply to rumors from "anonymous sources" to media.

Whaley sounds like the village idiot talking!

He is a sleeze, and he's responsible for all the leaks...today just removed all doubt. he was a yammering stammering

Actually he is one of the smartest, most honest and hardest working men you'd ever have the pleasure to meet; a total class act who earns the ungrudging respect of everybody who gets to know him.

You have my condolences for whatever happened in your life that turned you from one of the board's more reliable posters into the miserable, bitter jerkhole you've become. Hope things get better for you in the future

Edited by Simon

Actually he is one of the smartest, most honest and hard-working men you'll ever meet; a total class act who earns the ungrudging respect of everybody who gets to know him.

You have my condolences for whatever happened in your life that turned you into one of the board's more reliable posters into the miserable, bitter jerkhole you've become.

Wow, spike the Eggnog quick the locals are feisty. I hope the in laws are half as riled up as this board.