Watch Rex really close. I think he has been already told.

Iraq Vet

No coach is choosing buffalo over X either way. Haven't you been around the last 10 years?

Chan wasn't the only HC we could get because we fired Jauron.

No in demand coach is going to choose the Bills job if:

• the new ownership only gave the guy that they hired less than two years
  • even though he was about as successful as any Bills coach in the past 17 years and
  • even though the team has had an inordinate amount of injuries, suspensions, and substandard QB play.

Whether you believe that the Bills job was not desirable under Ralph, the Pegulas would be ensuring that the Bills job is not particularly desirable with them as owners (and certainly with DW as GM or whoever is trying to throw Rex under the bus).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• even though he was about as successful as any Bills coach in the past 17 years and
  • even though the team has had an inordinate amount of injuries, suspensions, and substandard QB play.

Whether you believe that the Bills job was not desirable under Ralph, the Pegulas would be ensuring that the Bills job is not particularly desirable with them as owners (and certainly with DW as GM or whoever is trying to throw Rex under the bus).

Their only chance at getting an in demand coach is if they torch the front office as well...It is an easy sell for the new ownership group to spin when they are all out....

I seriously can see us canning Rex and promoting Lynn. The marketing story will be, look at how it worked in Denver, NYG and TB... :bag:

No coach is choosing buffalo over X either way. Haven't you been around the last 10 years?

Chan wasn't the only HC we could get because we fired Jauron.

The Chan hiring was the year that the Seahawks gave total control to Pete Carroll and the Redskins courted Mike Shanahan. Buddy Nix stood in front of a mic and offered us one of his whoppers, he was receiving 15 calls a day for weeks (say, was Marv Levy still interested?), and bloopers, "Oakland gets a lot of calls. Don't say I said that."

But before Nix was on the prowl answering his buzzy cellphone, we had Russ Brandon turning over rocks. Ralph agreed to have Russ fly out to Colorado and pitch the Bills via Powerpoint to Shanahan. Shanahan was later invited to come to Washington by Snyder, which he did and was hired there.

It was never desirable. Why would anyone have ever picked Buffalo over Chicago or Denver or Miami or New York or Tampa etc etc? No in demand coach has EVER chosen the Bills in the last 20 years. Firing Rex is hardly the last straw and stars are gonna stop begging the Pegulas to work here. Edited by jmc12290

It was never desirable. Why would anyone have ever picked Buffalo over Chicago or Denver or Miami or New York or Tampa etc etc? No in demand coach has EVER chosen the Bills in the last 20 years. Firing Rex is hardly the last straw and stars are gonna stop begging the Pegulas to work here.

Agree to disagree.

I believe that the Pegulas have changed the attraction of working for both the Bills and Sabres. I think that they will reverse their goodwill if they fire Rex for the reasons I mentioned above. Such a decision would be self-defeating and short sighted.

Just my two cents.

Agree to disagree.

I believe that the Pegulas have changed the attraction of working for both the Bills and Sabres. I think that they will reverse their goodwill if they fire Rex for the reasons I mentioned above. Such a decision would be self-defeating and short sighted.

Just my two cents.

Any justification for that? Who have they hired that was in high demand for the Sabres? Or the Bills for that matter? Edited by jmc12290

Rex could finish 9-7 with the 32nd ranked passing offense in the NFL, suspension/injury of the one defensive superstar player, injury to the only safety who can play, injuries to the entire WR corps (which was not deep anyway), and basically zero production from the team's first two draft picks due to injury.

I suggest getting a QB to find another 1-2 wins in 2017.

Any justification for that? Who have they hired that was in high demand for the Sabres? Or the Bills for that matter?

I think that they have an excellent reputation as people and owners.

Murray also was a guy that people had pegged for GM around the league.

They hired a Stanley Cup winning coach who certainly was in demand.

Anytime you pay $1.4 B for a team, that sends a message.

What the Pegulas have done in downtown Buffalo as part of the renaissance including, but not limited to, the hockey complex and Academy of Hockey.

Rex could finish 9-7 with the 32nd ranked passing offense in the NFL, suspension/injury of the one defensive superstar player, injury to the only safety who can play, injuries to the entire WR corps (which was not deep anyway), and basically zero production from the team's first two draft picks due to injury.

Indeed.

Also

Agree to disagree.

Just my two cents.

That's nice and all, but retaining Rex will mean extending the drought another season. What are your priorities?

Every defense gets shredded. It's the modern NFL with rules to favor the offense.

The only time great defenses consistently work/win in today's NFL is in the playoffs, when all of a sudden the refs don't call every ticky tack penalty.

It's why the Ravens routinely get blown out by NE* in the regular season, only to beat them or play them right down to the wire in the playoffs. Their #1 defense in the NFL didn't do diddily squat to stop NE* on SNF.

There's also an entirely different level of effort/preparation that goes into a playoff game. How else can you explain the great defenses getting lit up during the season on occasion but locking it down in the playoffs/SB?

Edited by TheFunPolice

How bout a new defensive coaching staff and scheme that doesn't get shredded?

. . . and a defensive scheme that does not get players hurt or suspended.

Rex is such a fool for allowing so many players to get hurt.

It's not the 32nd ranked passing offense. They aren't even close to last in passer rating or passing yards per play. People need to stop repeating this tired mantra. It's not true unless you apply the crudest, most context-free measure - total yards. They are 21st in passer rating. 23rd in ypa, and 4th in fewest INTs thrown. That's not good enough, to be sure, but it's hardly dead last.

Edited by dave mcbride

Mike and Mike on ESPN they had Adam Schefter on. They debated the potential firing of Rex and it was panned. Golic pointed out the guy is in year two and to fire him is bad. This is what bad franchises do. The topic of who in the organization that is planting seeds in the media about the potential firing was addressed. That person is self serving. Wonder who benefits most from Rex being fired? Last that if they do go 9-7 and fire Rex it means friction behind the scenes. The opinion is that Whaley and Rex are at odds on philosophy. The drama continues on One Bills Drive.

How the hell can you be at odds with your HC's philosophy after you bring him a hybrid LB/DE, an all around LB from a winning program and a versatile defensive tackle (then a late CB) through the draft and plus two LBs in FA.

It would be insane for Whaley to give his HC all the tools he asked for and then do a 180º and turn against him.

I'm starting to think this is all a media driven and not an in house disfunction. I'm not saying the FO and coaches are happy this defense doesn't quite work consistently but I can see a lot of people outside of the organization making things bigger than they are.

It's not the 32nd ranked passing offense. They aren't even close to last in passer rating or passing yards per play. People need to stop repeating this tired mantra. It's not true unless you apply the crudest, most context-free measure - total yards. They are 21st in passer rating and 23rd in ypa. That's not good enough, to be sure, but it's hardly dead last.

Stats are funny like that. You can pick whichever category fits the agenda.

For me it's simple: IF Rex finishes 9-7 he will be 17-15 here after 2 seasons, making him the winningest HC we've had since Wade.

And it's a foregone conclusion that he WILL be fired because it just has to happen so they can promote Anthony Lynn (because that is what is going to happen if Rex gets canned).

Firing a coach who is two games over .500 in year #2 while trying to develop a young QB and dealing with all kinds of injuries is a joke.

Edited by TheFunPolice

That's nice and all, but retaining Rex will mean extending the drought another season. What are your priorities?

Again, why would any in demand coach want to take this job if current ownership did not give the current guy two years even though he has been about as successful as any we have had over the past two years despite the depth of injuries, suspensions, and substandard QB play.

Firing Rex under these circumstances is a message to any prospective coach that you are probably better off going elsewhere because you are not going to be given a fair chance, your record is not going to be evaluated in context, and we are going to let people in the personnel department anonymously throw you under the bus.

Stats are funny like that. You can pick whichever category fits the agenda.

For me it's simple: IF Rex finishes 9-7 he will be 17-15 here after 2 seasons, making him the winningest HC we've had since Wade.

And it's a foregone conclusion that he WILL be fired because it just has to happen so they can promote Anthony Lynn (because that is what is going to happen if Rex gets canned).

I honestly don't think he gets fired if they get to 9-7. Just a gut feeling on my part.

Lol. This excuse again. Ay I hope it's not another offseason of the rexcuses on defense.

Maybe it is just me, but I have this outlandish theory that teams perform better when their best players are available to play. Go figure.

I know it is a novel idea but something tells me that (by way of example) having Aaron Williams as our safety is better than a street free agent.

Maybe it is just me, but I have this outlandish theory that teams perform better when their best players are available to play. Go figure.

I know it is a novel idea but something tells me that (by way of example) having Aaron Williams as our safety is better than a street free agent.

I know a team with a winning record about the make the playoffs and they actually lost the reigning DPOY, not a middling safety.

I honestly don't think he gets fired if they get to 9-7. Just a gut feeling on my part.

I would be shocked, because it would be absurd.

The Bills would get crushed in the sports media and they would deserve it. No playoffs for 17 years, but you finally find a coach who has a winning record after year #2 and you fire him to start all over again because you went 9-7 and just missed getting in.

Winning record after 2 seasons? Check

Winningest coach in 17 seasons? Check

Only in year #2? Check

You're fired.

It's INSANE!

Edited by TheFunPolice