On this troubling day, it's time for some reflection

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175249-new-head-coach-rex-ryan-its-official/

Some real gems in there. Posters getting murdered for saying they wanted Kubiak over Rex. "Every intention of retaining Schwartz."

My favorite pre-2015 line. "That's what coordinators are for. You are confusing the two roles. Kubiak is a great coordinator but he can't coach. Rex knows how to run a football team." 2 years later, and look where we are.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175249-new-head-coach-rex-ryan-its-official/

Some real gems in there. Posters getting murdered for saying they wanted Kubiak over Rex. "Every intention of retaining Schwartz."

My favorite pre-2015 line. "That's what coordinators are for. You are confusing the two roles. Kubiak is a great coordinator but he can't coach. Rex knows how to run a football team." 2 years later, and look where we are.

How about this from all the Sabres and Bills fans out there - "All we need is a rich owner willing to spend money and we'll be fine!"

Hats off to The Dean for this post below, and WEO calling Kubiak.

I disagree with the last part. Apart from Chris Ivory, Richardson, Wilkerson, an aging Mangold and maybe David Harris, I can't think of anyone else there who would be noticeably better than the Bills player they'd replace.

I think that is faulty thinking. Let's look at it this way. The Jets had a very good D last year, as teams typically do with Rex involved. Nobody ever questions Rex's ability to put together a good D. Their D was very close, statistically, to the Bills this year.

Their offense was basically a disaster. Guess what other team had a strong D and a weak O? Yet the Bills, under Marrone (who has become the whipping boy for everything anyone doesn't like about the Bills) got the team to 9 wins. This with EJ and Orton and a terrible performance by the OL, Rex eked out 4. with Vick and Gino and by most accounts, a FAR better OL.

Are you prepared to say Orton and EJ are 5 wins better than Vick and Smith? What did Marrone have going for him that Rex did not, offensively?

Face it, Rex SUCKED this year. And he wasn't much better last year, either. His coaching ability (not just his record) has regressed just about every year since he started with the Jets.

I can't tell you how much I love this hire. Also, are people aware that despite having no credible cornerbacks, the Jets finished 6th in defense this season (yardage)? They gave up a lot of points, but their offensive ineptitude had something to do with that.

Yes, for some reason you love Rex. At the beginning of the year I suggested this would be Rex's last with the Jets. You disagreed. No, this is not an "I told you so" comment---I can't stand those. Over the years we've all made correct predictions and ones that flew in our faces. But I just can't see what you see in Rex's gameday HC performance that impresses you. Add to that, what does he bring to the Bills, who already have a great D?

This is a media/PR move. Big name coach, to make it seem the team is doing something different. In reality, IMO, they are just hiring another failed retread HC with a career losing record. I smell Pegula, and maybe even Brandon, on this move. I refuse to believe a football person derided this was the best move for this team.

I can only hope this becomes successful as a result of the swagger Rex projects. I'm not too big of a fan of swagger (especially when it isn't backed up) but maybe that is what this team needs. I'm trying to search for ANY positive in this move. I just can't see it at the moment.

Edited by jmc12290

Its not a troubling day. Its a beautiful day. I just finished my steamed vegetables for lunch. Work has finally steadied. Got a good leg up on farm work, too.

Oh, the Bills? I dont concern myself with wins and loses anymore this season, as I was done a month ago, or more. But, with regard to Rex I was hating this. I tried to buy in. I sat down and tried to make the pieces we had fit his D. All I could ever do was use backups who fit his system. And that made me sick. That we have to use The Lorax and other scrubs ...just sad

As I recall, at the time, the word coming from Jets fans was that Rex was an OK defensive coordinator but not head coach material, and that his in game decision making and tactics were horrible.

They also talked about the lack of discipline and penalties.

All of that stuff turned out to be very true.

No one knows a given team like the fans of that team.

When everyone in city X is telling you "don't hire the guy we just fired" you should listen.

We could have returned the favor with the Word on Fitz. Great guy, heart of a lion, terrible QB.

I was impressed to see a poster in there with the screen name of "Tyrods Tailor" ...i dont remember seeing that name before...pretty prescient poster if that was his name two years ago...color me impressed!

They retroactively change your name in all your past posts when you do a change.

I remember mostly hating it because we had beaten him 4 straight times or something like that. It's a weird move to hire the coach from one of the only teams you're actually better than.

2 of them noncompetitive blowouts.