Underrated issue/key on ST

YoloinOhio

Underrated issue: Colton Schmidt has been inconsistent at best and is giving the opponent way too favorable field position. If he kicks like he did last week and gives Ben 40 yards to cover regularly instead of 80 just chalk up the L

Underrated key: Brandon Tate PR. He's been a good to great FA add. This offense benefits greatly from good field position and just seem to lack any confidence when pinned back inside the 20.

Thoughts on these players?

I am boggled by Schmidt's performance these past few games. Undoubtedly he has been hurting us, but I'm not sure what happened. He seemed fine earlier this year.

Tate has been one of Whaley's best moves. This year we have seen several cheap impact players on this roster, but Tate is not getting the same attention as Z. Brown and the Lorax. He has been phenomenal on both sides of kickoffs and punts and has stepped up as a receiver too.

I don't know what else you really want from a Punter. His career AVG is 42 yards.

So when you cannot move the ball on Offense and are punting from the <20 you are giving the opposition around the 50 anyway after a small return

Want him to consistently book 60+ punts, that is not him...

I see college punters consistently flipping the field regardless of where the offense ends up, so I expect an NFL punter to do the same. I do think he had a really good season last year.

Well that Doesn't happen... Best Punters in the league shank some. What you see in college is never going to happen with the running start blah blah.

So when the Offense is pinned and cant move the Ball the next team will get the ball around the 50.

It's certainly easier to make this thread off the back of Colton's worst game of the season, if not his career. He is what he is, a middle of the pack punter with momentary glimpses of poor and brilliant play. He's only given up 162 return yards this season, I think that's probably been by design. Kicking slightly shorter, to the sideline quite a bit. Best execution of which was Week 1 against Devin Hester.

He's not got a booming leg but he's a pretty decent directional punter. That helps him kill the ball instead of giving up touchbacks (only 2 this year on 57 punts).

There's an interview with Danny Crossman in the archives for the John Murphy Show, it's worth listening to. They talk about asking him to execute a lot of different techniques and that they've put a lot on his plate this year. He seems pretty happy with the job Colton's been doing.

Long-term, I think he's replaceable. His RFA tender will be somewhere around the $1.9m mark so they could grab a UDFA and let them battle for it in camp. He's not bad - could be both better and worse.

I don't know what else you really want from a Punter. His career AVG is 42 yards.

So when you cannot move the ball on Offense and are punting from the <20 you are giving the opposition around the 50 anyway after a small return

Want him to consistently book 60+ punts, that is not him...

He had 2 sub 35 yard punts - one was low and really returnable. I'd like something better than that.