London Gets Four NFL Games in 2017

This is why I really hate Goodell. Europe teams dont work so hurt the NFL fans by this wasted series?

What is the point of these games? Mexico and Canada I sort of understand but over seas?

You do realise that the people who sell these games out year on year (even when the match ups on paper don't look great) are NFL fans don't you? There are lots of us in Europe and we didn't like NFL Europe because the games were substandard. So Goodell can either take the narrow minded "only American NFL fans count" view or he can open his mind to actually growing the game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realise that the people who sell these games out year on year (even when the match ups on paper don't look great) are NFL fans don't you? There are lots of us in Europe and we didn't like NFL Europe because the games were substandard. So Goodell can either take the narrow minded "only American NFL fans count" view or he can open his mind to actually growing the game.

Goodell is an idiot.

What's the end game and NFL Europe division? or is the NFL just going to keep wearing teams out traveling overseas.

Goodell is an idiot.

What's the end game and NFL Europe division? or is the NFL just going to keep wearing teams out traveling overseas.

The end game is certainly a London franchise at some stage I believe. Whether there is any plan for a full European division I'm less sure, but expect a game in Germany at some stage too. The travel only becomes a major issue when it is west coast teams going to London or a London team going to the west coast. Otherwise professional athletes travelling 5 and 6 hours to and from games is not uncommon and happens in other sports too. I think

I think the first thing that will happen in terms of dealing with the wearing out point will be removal of the 4th pre-season game and an additional week added onto the regular season so teams will still play 16 games but over 18 weeks with two bye weeks.

I think the best thing for the Bills would be to move to London. Obviously will never work in Buffalo anymore, maybe a change in scenery will wake up the organization.

Goodell is an idiot.

Why is Goodell the idiot? He is just doing what the OWNERs want.

This is why I really hate Goodell. Europe teams dont work so hurt the NFL fans by this wasted series?

What is the point of these games? Mexico and Canada I sort of understand but over seas?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So that means 4 teams lose a home game to the London I wonder what kind of perks Goodell get's for each game he brings there ??

You know he's not doing those games just because I bet there is a clause in his contract that for every game he screws a US fan base out of he gets some kind of compensation !!

Hey Roge if it ain't broke don't fix it !!

So that means 4 teams lose a home game to the London I wonder what kind of perks Goodell get's for each game he brings there ??

You know he's not doing those games just because I bet there is a clause in his contract that for every game he screws a US fan base out of he gets some kind of compensation !!

Hey Roge if it ain't broke don't fix it !!

His bosses - the owners - get an expanded base of NFL fans to flog their merchandise and game pass packages to thereby raising revenues. It is as simple as that.

His bosses - the owners - get an expanded base of NFL fans to flog their merchandise and game pass packages to thereby raising revenues. It is as simple as that.

You are in Europe. What model works there for NFL games to get money out of broadcasters/advertisers - PPV, network, NFL access or what?

Stupid move on part of the NFL, I think the morning games were developing an audience. It was fun to cook breakfast with a beer open and football in the background. Now the London games are just another ordinary game.

They are ordinary already. Edited by iinii

Goodell is an idiot.

Really? 'Wearing teams out' by sitting in a first class seat for an extra few hours one time during the year?

Lots of people travel overseas for work a lot more often than that and for a lot less money.

You are in Europe. What model works there for NFL games to get money out of broadcasters/advertisers - PPV, network, NFL access or what?

I can only speak for the UK but the last TV deal the NFL did over here (which basically gave Sky Sports exclusive rights to broadcast NFL games on TV here - save for 2 London games per year which are on free to air TV) was the biggest that they have ever done and audience figures continue a steady growth.

They also NFL Game Pass subscriptions to the more hardcore fans such as myself (the NFL do not publish stats on the number of subscriptions by country but I would suggest that has gone up significantly in the last 5 years) and there is a whole floor of Nike's flagship London store now dedicated to selling NFL gear - unthinkable 10 years ago. Again, I don't have the sale figures broken down for those stores but they wouldn't dedicate space to merchandise that wasn't selling, and that is without the additional sales they make from their NFL shop distribution tents on actual gamedays over here when the queues are simply not worth standing in they often run to up to 2 hours in length.

I do find that there is a bit of American arrogance over the NFL and over American Football as a whole with the presumption that Europeans couldn't possibly get it, or understand it and that they have no place liking it and selling out the games. I do understand that for local fan bases there are only 8 home games a year and losing one of those 8 to London or in the future maybe Germany is tough. I get that. I just do not believe that in and of itself is sufficient reason not to try and grow the game globally. America should be proud of the NFL as an exported product, not desperately trying to hide it for fear others might share the enjoyment.

Edited by GunnerBill

I can only speak for the UK but the last TV deal the NFL did over here (which basically gave Sky Sports exclusive rights to broadcast NFL games on TV here - save for 2 London games per year which are on free to air TV) was the biggest that they have ever done and audience figures continue a steady growth.

They also NFL Game Pass subscriptions to the more hardcore fans such as myself (the NFL do not publish stats on the number of subscriptions by country but I would suggest that has gone up significantly in the last 5 years) and there is a whole floor of Nike's flagship London store now dedicated to selling NFL gear - unthinkable 10 years ago. Again, I don't have the sale figures broken down for those stores but they wouldn't dedicate space to merchandise that wasn't selling, and that is without the additional sales they make from their NFL shop distribution tents on actual gamedays over here when the queues are simply not worth standing in they often run to up to 2 hours in length.

I do find that there is a bit of American arrogance over the NFL and over American Football as a whole with the presumption that Europeans couldn't possibly get it, or understand it and that they have no place liking it and selling out the games. I do understand that for local fan bases there are only 8 home games a year and losing one of those 8 to London or in the future maybe Germany is tough. I get that. I just do not believe that in and of itself is sufficient reason not to try and grow the game globally. America should be proud of the NFL as an exported product, not desperately trying to hide it for fear others might share the enjoyment.

Only a sample size of one, but I never saw a more excited fan than the guy I was sitting next to at the Bills game last year in London. He was wearing a Manning jersey (half the stadium was wearing gear from one of the other 30 teams) and came by himself, wasn't really rooting for either team but loved the game. He said he'd been to several NFL games. It seemed to me that the Brits were pretty into it, as of course were the Americans.

Only a sample size of one, but I never saw a more excited fan than the guy I was sitting next to at the Bills game last year in London. He was wearing a Manning jersey (half the stadium was wearing gear from one of the other 30 teams) and came by himself, wasn't really rooting for either team but loved the game. He said he'd been to several NFL games. It seemed to me that the Brits were pretty into it, as of course were the Americans.

When I was there the two fans next to me were wearing Dallas jerseys and from the Netherlands. The night before I met a Bills fan from Scotland. All three of them were excited to be seeing American football live.

I would go again if the Bills are there, but only if they are the "home" team.