Is 10-6 But Missing Playoffs a Success or Failure?

is the fanbase now down to missing the playoffs for 17 straight years but calling 10-6 (not going to happen)

a successful season? I would call it a successful season losing the AFC championship game. Or winning the superbowl.

There are no moral victory's in the NFL. The Ryan bros can't coach there way out of a wet paper bag.

It amazes me that people can't say yes or no and why. Yup they'd pry lose the 1st playoff game , yup 8-8 or 9-7 is more likely. Oh well, at some point Russ Brandon will get blamed LOL

OK, assuming we actually go 10-6.

Is that a success? Depends entirely on your definition of "success" and what the stated goals of the organization are.

I believe Pegula hired Rex with the notion that Rex would get us into the playoffs, and in the near term.

If we go 10-6 and fail to make the playoffs, I think the organization would consider that a failure, as it is now Rex's 2nd year with the team.

Whether or not this season is considered a success or failure is immaterial however.

This team will not make the playoffs with Rex as its coach, and he will not get more than 3 seasons to do it, if he even gets a third.

I.E., Rex's days are numbered.

The million dollar question is not whether this season is considered a success or failure. The big question is what is Pegula thinking and where are we on his personal timeline for success? How fed up is he with Whaley/Rex if at all?

How much longer until he drops the ax?

It's impossible to say; he has retreated into a rather private role with both teams.

Edited by Fadingpain

OK, assuming we actually go 10-6.

Is that a success? Depends entirely on your definition of "success" and what the stated goals of the organization are.

I believe Pegula hired Rex with the notion that Rex would get us into the playoffs, and in the near term.

If we go 10-6 and fail to make the playoffs, I think the organization would consider that a failure, as it is now Rex's 2nd year with the team.

Whether or not this season is considered a success or failure is immaterial however.

This team will not make the playoffs with Rex as its coach, and he will not get more than 3 seasons to do it, if he even gets a third.

I.E., Rex's days are numbered.

The million dollar question is not whether this season is considered a success or failure. The big question is what is Pegula thinking and where are we on his personal timeline for success? How fed up is he with Whaley/Rex if at all?

How much longer until he drops the ax?

It's impossible to say; he has retreated into a rather private role with both teams.

Thanks... Do we want a we want a public owner like Jerry Jones? Pegula is never going to be that and it doesn't help that Sullivan and TBN trash him all the time.

...10-6 but no playoffs is a failure to me in many ways but sure sounds nice for once.

A 10-6 record is what I was privately figuring would happen. However, I still wouldn't call it a success. I think anything other than the post season is a failure. Even if they crash out of the first WC game we could call the season a success. I'd say an 8-8 record with a post season berth a success. I think this roster is at the point where anything but post season games is a failure.

I know it's tough to judge a team based on a moveable target, like how many wins it takes for the play-offs but that's the reality of the NFL these days. 8-8 could do it, and 11-5 might not be good enough. A good team is going to win the games it needs to.

This loss hit me harder than it should have. At 10-6 there's still a chance. Go Bills!

10-6 will be a success under the circumstances:

1) Inconsistency in the passing game. TT doesn't have to be Brady in order for us to win with him. Just be functional enough to compliment the running game, avoid turnovers, keep the chains moving, and just be consistent with it.
2) Injury depleted WR corp relying mainly on castoffs and practice squad level receivers
3) Outdated defensive scheme that still isn't the best fit for this group even though they do play it well at times, and a secondary that hasn't been the same since Rex let Donnie Henderson go and AW went down for the season.

Next season, coaching and (as much as I like Whaley), front office jobs should be on the line.

We are in the same predicament every year. We are not winning out.

That being said- and I posted it in another thread earlier- were they to somehow win out, they would much more than likely make the playoffs.

See what happens if they beat Pittsburgh and then have Cleveland at home the following week. Things would change very quickly as far as the standings go. Again though, I fully expect them to lose to Pittsburgh.

Edited by metzelaars_lives