Russ Brandon and others...

pepsicat17

Not putting words in your mouth asyou said, and I quote, from post #220:

Sure sound like you said Brandon was going to be allowed to "stick around" and "hire him." Or did you misquote yourself?

And you really need proof that team owners are the ones who hire coaches? Really?

Stop trying to argue semantics with me, I don't even know what you're getting at. On this matter, this is all I have to say:

Russ Brandon will be involved in the HC search. For that I am being critical. I don't have the energy for your back and forth about 1997 advertising contracts and crap that has no value to me whatsoever. I'm glad you're hopeful that Brandon will help them get it right in his 5th search. Seems like you have a lot of faith in the guy.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop trying to argue semantics with me, I don't even know what you're getting at. On this matter, this is all I have to say:

Russ Brandon will be involved in the HC search. For that I am being critical. I don't have the energy for your back and forth about 1997 advertising contracts and crap that has no value to me whatsoever. I'm glad you're hopeful that Brandon will help them get it right in his 5th search. Seems like you have a lot of faith in the guy.

That "crap" is the entire reason he ascended in the organization in the first place, so it has value to this conversation in that context.

What doesn't have value is insisting that Brandon is going to hire the head coach or that he should say "no" to the Pegulas when they ask for his input in the process. I'm not saying you proffered that idea, but that is the general gist of many around here. If you need someone to blame for a crappy coaching hire in Rex Ryan, blame the Pegulas.

That "crap" is the entire reason he ascended in the organization in the first place, so it has value to this conversation in that context.

What doesn't have value is insisting that Brandon is going to hire the head coach or that he should say "no" to the Pegulas when they ask for his input in the process. I'm not saying you proffered that idea, but that is the general gist of many around here. If you need someone to blame for a crappy coaching hire in Rex Ryan, blame the Pegulas.

Brandon will be involved in the HC search. I have no idea where you came up with that bizarre hypothetical where he tells the Pegula's "no." You're dodging the massive argument here:

This will be the 5th head coaching search Brandon is involved with.

Brandon will be involved in the HC search. I have no idea where you came up with that bizarre hypothetical where he tells the Pegula's "no." You're dodging the massive argument here:

This will be the 5th head coaching search Brandon is involved with.

Right. And Marrone is the only one he made a final decision on, although that, too, was done by committee; and the only one that was within his purview to wield that much influence on to boot.

He's going to be involved at the behest of the Pegulas and the idea that they should fire Brandon from his more important role in the entire PSE enterprise, is an unrealistic expectation. Which is where that bizarre hypothetical comes from. Disgruntled fans don't want him involved. At all. And if he's not going to be fired, what else can prevent that other than him saying "no" to the Pegulas desire to involve him.

I guess there's a chance the Pegulas tell him to sit this one out and I can see that happening. If the Pegulas announce that Brandon had no involvement, would you believe that?

Edited by K-9

Right. And Marrone is the only one he made a final decision on, although that, too, was done by committee; and the only one that was within his purview to wield that much influence on to boot.

He's going to be involved at the behest of the Pegulas and the idea that they should fire Brandon from his more important role in the entire PSE enterprise, is an unrealistic expectation. Which is where that bizarre hypothetical comes from. Disgruntled fans don't want him involved. At all. And if he's not going to be fired, what else can prevent that other than him saying "no" to the Pegulas desire to involve him.

I guess there's a chance the Pegulas tell him to sit this one out and I can see that happening. If the Pegulas announce that Brandon had no involvement, would you believe that?

I don't see that happening, but I would give Terry and Kim credit for that if they removed Brandon from the process and were vocal about it. I would prefer a new brain trust to figure out the search, this guy is batting 0% regardless of his level of involvement (which, save for the Marrone hire as you pointed out, is never going to be known).

I don't like you separating me into a "disgruntled fan" category like I'm some sort of loony for not wanting to put up with 17+ years of this mess.

I don't see that happening, but I would give Terry and Kim credit for that if they removed Brandon from the process and were vocal about it. I would prefer a new brain trust to figure out the search, this guy is batting 0% regardless of his level of involvement (which, save for the Marrone hire as you pointed out, is never going to be known).

I don't like you separating me into a "disgruntled fan" category like I'm some sort of loony for not wanting to put up with 17+ years of this mess.

We are ALL disgruntled fans. I just put Brandon's employment with the team well below other, more important factors that contributed to the futility. That's all. I certainly don't think you're a loony. Not in the least.

Awesome.

Nothing dysfunctional about the new owners who don't know **** about football hiring the head coach.

OK, what owners know **** about football? I mean REALLY? There's few that come from the game or have played it, but not many. Then again, it's not rocket science. Especially when you have a great QB that can make EVERYONE look like a genius.

Edited by K-9

You missed the point.

Why the !@#$ is the owner hiring the head coach?

Are you really asking that question? Who do you think hires head coaches in this league? Lemme guess; the football czars? The GMs? All of whom are hired by the owners, anyway?

You missed the point.

Why the !@#$ is the owner hiring the head coach?

The owner should be signing off (with veto power) on whoever the GM wants to hire... only the Bills don't have a real GM. Bad situation that Pegs royally !@#$ed up, let's hope he wakes up, cleans house, and hires a real GM.

Then the owner has role beyond signing checks

I don't want my owner hiring coaches. I only want my owner hiring the guy who hires coaches. Are you following this? Fans' expectations, especially disgruntled fans, are so out of whack with league realities, it's mind boggling.

You are grossly misstating my position. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be changes. Hiring a new HC is not an insignificant action. However, I strongly believe that dismissing the GM and rebuilding the front office and coaching staff will set this franchise further back. Not having a qb who can function at a reasonable level is first and foremost the issue that needs to be addressed. There are no quick and perfect solutions to that issue. But there should be qbs that are on the market capable enough to manage an offense at a level that allows this team a reasonable chance to compete. Maybe a qb like McCarron who is reasonably accurate and can read defenses might be a passable option for the short term.

Respectfully, who is going to make the final decision on who to hire as HC and will it be successful at all if the very same people that have been unsuccessful in the past do the hiring. Brandon since 2007. Whaley since 2013.

What's more, who is to find this elusive elite franchise QB if the current GM already took his shot with EJ and then went overboard in spending two first round picks on a glass WR attempting to make that QB pick work. Meanwhile, the guy basically had no success with building a proper offensive line. Remember LG Chris Williams for 5 mill per who played 3 games and done! Or how about OG Colin Brown who Whaley tried to replace Andy Levitre with and was so bad he only lasted 6 games before being cut. Let's not forget it was Rex Ryan who vouched for all pro LG Richie Incognito and wanted Tyrod Taylor. Ryan was also chasing Cowboys OG La'el Collins before he signed with Dallas.

This team already passed on Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater for that glass WR who is always injured and now looking back at that 2014 draft. If Whaley knew wtf he was looking at in terms of college talent the team could have gone with trading up for LBer Khalil Mack or WR Mike Evans instead of Watkins! Or stayed at #9 and drafted all pros LBer Anthony Barr, WR Odel Beckham JR, DT Aaron Donald, OG Zack Martin, LBer CJ Mosley. Or traded up for Carr, Bridgewater.

I think Bills fans want to give Whaley more credit than he deserves and since it's been so long since the team had a successful playoff season that fans tend to not see all the problems. Who cares if the team changes the entire front office structure and then fails to win more than 3 games. That will simply mean they haven't found the right front office people. It will also allow them to make changes to the FO again and ultimately have a legit shot at a franchise QB with a top 3 pick.

I have no faith in Doug Whaley and his scouting staff to find a decent HC or QB. I also have no faith in Russ Brandon or the Pegula's to make those choices either.

Today was one of the few times I saw Terry at a game without Brandon steps away. Get some one in here who has won in the league before. I think they could

do a lot worse than Tom Coughlin.

Same, or hire Bill Cowher and allow him to evaluate and rebuild the team as the man does know player talent and coaches.

I would have preferred hiring Packers GM Ted Thompson away from Green Bay and give him complete autonomy on the football side. This idea was looking good a few weeks ago when the Packers were losing.