Christmas Gift Idea...seeking advice

USMCBillsFan

Does anyone here have the Amazon Echo? My girlfriend saw a commercial and seemed interested in it. I've been trying to read up and it seems I have to get Amazon Prime for it to really be any good, especially since she loves to listen to music. I have Apple Music on my phone but it doesn't work with the Echo. I'm just looking to see if it's in fact, as confusing to set up and use as what I've been seeing. I'm pretty electronically savvy but reading about it confuses me.

Also asking if anyone has it and what they think. Is it worth getting?

I think the answer will depend on how interested she is on committing to the tech habitat around that.

I don't have one but I've been debating using it as the brain center of some of the automation around the house I've been contemplating.

I think the answer will depend on how interested she is on committing to the tech habitat around that.

I don't have one but I've been debating using it as the brain center of some of the automation around the house I've been contemplating.

I have far from a "smart home". I think mostly for her she'll like the music aspect of it. She listens to music on her phone constantly while puttering around the house and think she'd like the phone freed up for phone things. lol.. But I think I would like the help features as I cook a lot so recipes and grocery lists added by voice as I think of things might be convenient.

I was thinking about getting the echo dot for my wife. She is the same way with music, listens constantly on her phone. But i think she would utilize features, such as weather, calendar, and reminders as she got more comfortable with it. I haven't looked into the Google Voice yet, but I will check it out and comment after.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TJD0Y4/ref=fs_ods_fs_aucc_bt

dot review:

https://www.cnet.com/products/amazon-echo-dot-2nd-generation/review/

Edited by ricojes

Whenever I see commercials for these I think of Colossus: The Forbin Project.

Today you're asking it cute questions on 80s music or wine selections to go with the chicken dish.

Tomorrow, it's telling you that your showers are too long and cuts off the hot water after 2 minutes and directs that all carbohydrates be removed from the house since it detected a slight increase in your BMI.

Whenever I see commercials for these I think of Colossus: The Forbin Project.

Today you're asking it cute questions on 80s music or wine selections to go with the chicken dish.

Tomorrow, it's telling you that your showers are too long and cuts off the hot water after 2 minutes and directs that all carbohydrates be removed from the house since it detected a slight increase in your BMI.

Until it gets sick of the organics and decides to turn off the carbon monoxide detector or springs a natural gas leak

If mostly just listening to music I'd suggest a good quality Bluetooth speaker

My wife got one and it's amazing! They also use them at the Sea Island (Ga) Tennis Center and they can carry a good area. (Many courts) Pretty surprising actually.

Edited by Augie

My wife got one and it's amazing! They also use them at the Sea Island (Ga) Tennis Center and they can carry a good area. Pretty surprising actually.

I've gone with UE branded boom speakers (have both a mega and mini boom). The mega can really fill the room.

But there are a few good ones out there