bench gilmore and darby the rest of the year

valle7878

Nobody...and I mean nobody...is suggesting it doesn't. But let's not pretend that the difference between Brady and Taylor is Belichick, that the difference between Sherman and Gilmore is Carrol, Julio Jones and Robert Woods Dan Quinn. It gets more preposterous as we go, doesn't it?

Players make plays. Better players make better plays more frequently.https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/796797973808222208

Winner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I respect you are giving an ex athelte's opinion but I am giving an ex coach's opinion. Coaching in any team sport is about using what your guys do best. Unless it is a sport with unlimited resources to go and get the best at everything you have to come up with a way of using the talents you have. That is the job. I don't absolve Gilmore of blame and I certainly didn't absolve Mario of blame last year when he gave up halfway through the season.... but coaching is about putting your players in position to do what they are best at and covering what they are worst at. It is why I hate "my way or the highway" system coaches. I don't rate Chip Kelly for the same reason. You suit what you do to what you have. You don't force feed what you want to do onto people. I know Rex would say he tried to take my approach last year and it failed... but forcing his system onto the D hasn't been a rip roaring success either.

And I don't disagree with that principle. Like, at all. In fact, I believe it's absolutely the sign of a good coach. But you can't set every player up with what he does best on every play. That's just not feasible, particularly in football.

So when you're asked to do the things you don't do best, you have to at least be competent.

That's just not feasible, particularly in football.

So when you're asked to do the things you don't do best, you have to at least be competent.

And the point some of us were making first half on Monday (and it was far from just me saying it) is I don't know what were taking away in the passing game. It seemed like there were open guys everywhere. I haven't watched the game back yet though. I will do it on Saturday.

And the point some of us were making first half on Monday (and it was far from just me saying it) is I don't know what were taking away in the passing game. It seemed like there were open guys everywhere. I haven't watched the game back yet though. I will do it on Saturday.

And at this point, I trust that you'll be able to evaluate whether they were open because of:

1. Scheme
  2. Our players getting beat
  3. Their players making plays
  4. No.'s 2 and 3.

I think you'll find 1 to be in short supply.

But if we're going to say the scheme should never put a guy in a situation to get beat one v one, well that's pure poppy rooster.

And at this point, I trust that you'll be able to evaluate whether they were open because of:

• Scheme
  • Our players getting beat
  • Their players making plays
  • No.'s 2 and 3.

I think you'll find 1 to be in short supply.

But if we're going to say the scheme should never put a guy in a situation to get beat one v one, well that's pure poppy rooster.

I have never said that.

I actually find this to be a fine discourse.

Not you Scott, not this time at least.

Bill and BC are having a very decent dialogue from differing PoVs.

I really appreciate this.

So you moved from the 3 and outs on offense make the defense suck to now the players suck. Got it.

Do you think Rex is doing a good job with the defense? Simple question.

phrasing like

got it

and

simple question

are sounding a bit rude to me.

Perhap you dont know that. Perhaps you do not care.

But i felt if the former were true you might be best made aware.

The play that sticks out in my mind the most was the TE Graham jumping over Gilmore. If he put his arms out or even stands up Graham gets tangled up and crashes to the ground. I thought that play exposed him the most.

Yeah, that could only happen if he closed his eyes, and that's a bad thing in an NFL football game. Pretty sure about that... I would have gotten a hand on him there. (And may have gone to the Great Beyond shortly thereafter.)

we actually played defense better without gilmore and darby you guys are the idiots

Valle, you really don't need to be part of this board if you're going to call people idiots for disagreeing with you.

No matter what opinion you hold, or how valid it may seem to you, you'll find people here who vehemently disagree. Hopefully we can disagree with respect instead of name calling.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I feel like you are being sarcastic. Is that possible?

Because the sarcasm font is not showing on this post.

Always pleased to see good discussion going on here!! Please do nit let it devolve

I always enjoy discussions with The Big Cat. We don't agree on Rex and the defense as a rule but he can withstand a little gentle ribbing on the heatmaps and it never degenerates into unpleasantness. I would hope he thinks my only desire is to see the Bills win.... I certainly believe that is his motivation. Edited by GunnerBill

I always enjoy discussions with The Big Cat. We don't agree on Rex and the defense as a rule but he can withstand a little gentle ribbing on the heatmaps and it never degenerates into unpleasantness. I would hope he thinks my only desire is to see the Bills win.... I certainly believe that is his motivation.

I am sure Most of us want to see the Bills win. No problem with disagreements and airing them out.

As long as we remain civic, mostly ;)