We need a Stafford-like QB

dayman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of INT does not equate to excellence.

But not turning the ball over (including by fumble) is really, really important. That's a big reason why Alex Smith's teams are always in or nearly in the playoffs. But it's also why that alone is almost never enough to win in the playoffs, unless, of course, Broncos 2015-16 defense ....

But not turning the ball over (including by fumble) is really, really important. That's a big reason why Alex Smith's teams are always in or nearly in the playoffs. But it's also why that alone is almost never enough to win in the playoffs, unless, of course, Broncos 2015-16 defense ....

Sure it's important. But if its THE driving factor of a QB's game it means he's not making enough passes.

Lets just go ahead and quantify this. Of course, every team wants a Brady. And, of course, there is only 1 Brady (and very few Brady knockoffs).

With that said, what kind of attainable QB do we need? We need a Matt Stafford-like QB.

Now, don't get me wrong, Stafford is not great b/c he takes sacks, throws picks, and way too often he just kind of goes out there and sucks--for most of the game. BUT...when they need him to sling it...particularly at the end of a game, he has a serious habit of delivering. He's like a poor man's Favre. And that is enough to make him good (not average).

My point? We should have a poor man's Favre, not a poor man's Russel Wilson. We can control (more or less) the game w/ D and running...compensate for QB mistakes with roster and playcalling. When it comes to QB...we should not be enamored with conservatism and limiting turnovers.

Turnovers happen. So be it. Give me someone with some fire. I'm not anti-Tyrod...but the dude is just too "under control." Show me some fire, show me some risk taking when the game demands it, show me some urgency.

Anyway, rambling post...but you get the point. We need something different at QB and Tyrod has not shown signs of the kind of fight we need to call upon from time to time. When it comes time to look around...lets roll the dice on a guy with an arm that can boom or bust any given Sunday...I'll lose that way much more easily than I will the way we lose with Tyrod (helplessly when things don't go according to plan).

PS: Yes, I realize our weapons are depleted.

Ohhhhh, The Pro-Taylor crowd are going to eat you alive.

the Lions have averaged less than 7 wins/season since stafford has been in the league.

The lions have reached 10 wins a whopping 2x since stafford has been there. Hooray.

Thats 7 seasons.

And they made the playoffs? that's right they did. Now we are the saps with the longest non-playoff streak.

Tyrod has 2 int. He isn't the problem

Most fans have only one focal point for losses and that is the QB position. However, jr1 is correct when he states that TT isn't the problem.

It isn't Tyrod Taylor's fault that he was the leading rusher against the Dolphins with 7 carries for 35 yards and one TD!!

Looking for real blame? The problem is that either the team didn't attempt to run the ball enough against Miami or didn't have the talent on the roster to get it done. One falls on Lynn the Bills OC and the other falls on the Bills GM. Then there is the defense that stunk up the field with an inability to stop the run all game long!!

C'mon guys Bills fans are smarter than this!! Look at the entire team to determine what went wrong against Miami! The Bills had the lead in the game up until the fourth quarter and it wasn't Taylor who allowed a 53-yard run from the 2-yard line in the fourth!! It wasn't Taylor who allowed 214 yards rushing to some unknown RB!! It wasn't Taylor who allowed 454 yards of offense to the smelly fish!!

The Bills showed that right side of the line with RT Mills and RG Miller is very suspect as both players gave up big plays!! The Bills receiver corps is ridiculously thin with made of glass Marquise Goodwin the #1 WR!! ...WTF!! The Bills don't have a replacement for LeSean McCoy so now all of a sudden Taylor isn't good enough because he didn't win the game after the Bills defense gave up a 66 yard TD to Kenny Stills and a 12 yard TD to the smelly fish in the fourth quarter!!

Far, far too much blame to go around to factors other than the Bills QB in this one. Taylor out-performed Tallywhacker stat wise and a big reason why Miami's offense was the better offense was because they could run the ball this week and Buffalo couldn't!

Yeah I love how he sneezes at the idea of 10 wins.

That's Bills fans for you. Or at least a lot of them. But the weird thing is that they don't just sneeze at the idea of winning 10 or 11 games and making the playoffs ("why would we want a crappy game manager like Alex Smith?" "Why would we want a reckless bomber like Matt Stafford?"). They also pooh pooh the idea of a full rebuild to get the high draft pick you need to grab a Stafford. They are, in other words, weirdly content with mediocrity, convinced that our roster is playoff worthy and that failure therefore must be a consequence of bad coaching and/or other teams cheating.

Most fans have only one focal point for losses and that is the QB position. However, jr1 is correct when he states that TT isn't the problem.

It isn't Tyrod Taylor's fault that he was the leading rusher against the Dolphins with 7 carries for 35 yards and one TD!!

Looking for real blame? The problem is that either the team didn't attempt to run the ball enough against Miami or didn't have the talent on the roster to get it done. One falls on Lynn the Bills OC and the other falls on the Bills GM. Then there is the defense that stunk up the field with an inability to stop the run all game long!!

C'mon guys Bills fans are smarter than this!! Look at the entire team to determine what went wrong against Miami! The Bills had the lead in the game up until the fourth quarter and it wasn't Taylor who allowed a 53-yard run from the 2-yard line in the fourth!! It wasn't Taylor who allowed 214 yards rushing to some unknown RB!! It wasn't Taylor who allowed 454 yards of offense to the smelly fish!!

The Bills showed that right side of the line with RT Mills and RG Miller is very suspect as both players gave up big plays!! The Bills receiver corps is ridiculously thin with made of glass Marquise Goodwin the #1 WR!! ...WTF!! The Bills don't have a replacement for LeSean McCoy so now all of a sudden Taylor isn't good enough because he didn't win the game after the Bills defense gave up a 66 yard TD to Kenny Stills and a 12 yard TD to the smelly fish in the fourth quarter!!

Far, far too much blame to go around to factors other than the Bills QB in this one. Taylor out-performed Tallywhacker stat wise and a big reason why Miami's offense was the better offense was because they could run the ball this week and Buffalo couldn't!

Yes, but it was Hotrod who didn't see O'Leary on 3rd down 10 yards in front of him wide open in the 4th quarter in Fish territory OR see another open WR open on 3rd the next drive but instead patted the football And took off running for a sack.

Of course the D deserves blame as does ALynn for abandoning the run.

However Hotrod doesn't get a pass because everyone else messed up too.

It was a team loss. Everyone shares blame, even Hotrod even if he didn't turn the football over.

I agree, we need a QB that may be the MVP favorite that was picked 1st overall. What are we doing and how can't we see that? Stupid Whaley

Sure it's important. But if its THE driving factor of a QB's game it means he's not making enough passes.

How many is enough? We were 4th in the league in scoring before last week and scored 25 points. When are we passing enough? If the points aren't the indicator of a successful offense I am trying to figure out what is? Edited by Kirby Jackson

I agree, we need a QB that may be the MVP favorite that was picked 1st overall. What are we doing and how can't we see that? Stupid Whaley

How many is enough? We were 4th in the league in scoring before last week and scored 25 points. When are we passing enough? If the points aren't the indicator of a successful offense I am trying to figure out what is?

I'm agreeing with this.

Our offense has been putting up the points. Hotrod ain't gonna win it late, so work with what ya got. During our win streak the plan was to jump on 'em early and not let them catch up with a strong D and ball control and a few more points.

This week it backfired on us. Oh well, we'll get 'em this week.

We are now where I think Whaley and Rex talked about when they got here. We are in QB purgatory with no end in sight really. So instead of getting some schmuck and let him pass 30+ times and game and lose like we did with Fitz and EJ and Trent and JP (square peg), we'll get a QB that can take care of the football, have a strong running game and a monster D and try to win that way. Good strategy since good QBs are so hard to fine. We'e won more than we've lost.

Roll with Hotrod who is better than a lot of QBs we've had until can draft or develop or trade for a real QB.

I see us at a stage the Saints were around 2004. They had a good team with no good QB. Then they got Blue Drees and the rest is history. If we're vigilant which obviously Doug is, we'll find our man eventually. In the mean time, let's win some gaimes!

I'm agreeing with this.

Our offense has been putting up the points. Hotrod ain't gonna win it late, so work with what ya got. During our win streak the plan was to jump on 'em early and not let them catch up with a strong D and ball control and a few more points.

This week it backfired on us. Oh well, we'll get 'em this week.

We are now where I think Whaley and Rex talked about when they got here. We are in QB purgatory with no end in sight really. So instead of getting some schmuck and let him pass 30+ times and game and lose like we did with Fitz and EJ and Trent and JP (square peg), we'll get a QB that can take care of the football, have a strong running game and a monster D and try to win that way. Good strategy since good QBs are so hard to fine. We'e won more than we've lost.

Roll with Hotrod who is better than a lot of QBs we've had until can draft or develop or trade for a real QB.

I see us at a stage the Saints were around 2004. They had a good team with no good QB. Then they got Blue Drees and the rest is history. If we're vigilant which obviously Doug is, we'll find our man eventually. In the mean time, let's win some gaimes!

I for one don't trust Whaley to find that elusive franchise QB for Buffalo. He has had so many chances the last few years and yet all he did was keep attempting to band-aid the team enough to get EJ to workout okay.

Enough about his inability to find a quality QB though.

"If" the Bills had a better O-line! A better receiving corps! A healthy RB they would be able to win games just like the Dallas Cowboys are winning and be 5-1 like Dallas is right now. They are using that same Rex Ryan philosophy in building a run first team with a good defense. Rayne Dakota Prescott is averaging 212 passing yards a game with 7 TD's, 1 INT- Tyrod Taylor 185 yards a game with 9 TD's, 2 INTs. The run vs pass stats are so very similar between the two teams.

Is Tyrod Taylor somewhat currently limited in his NFL passing ability? I'd say yes to that and think there is still time and room for development. The guy can win games when you give him a solid run game to support his efforts! Take away that solid run game from Dak Prescott and I doubt he wins many games with just his arm.

The Lions were 0-16 the year before he was drafted. Let's therefore not count his first season (or his second season, for that matter - he only played in 3 games). If they end up with a winning season this year, the Lions will have had winning records in 3 of 6 seasons with him as QB. In those six seasons, they are 43-44 with two double-digit win seasons. To remind everyone, the Bills haven't won ten games since 1999.

To be fair, the Dolphins front seven is far more talented than their run D ranking suggests. Suh is the best DT in the league.

The Bills have had 2 winning seasons in 13 years.

TT has a winning record on these Bills over 21 games at 12-9. So how is what TT is doing (winning) easily dismissed but yet Stafford being at below .500 lauded?

And I like stafford and of course I wish he was on the Bills or we had a similarly talented QB. But his pros come with cons as well, And his main con is turnovers. Combining fumbles and int's he has had some seasons with 20+ turnovers and one year nearly 30 turnovers. You can blame the rest of his team all you want but when you turn the ball over at that clip your team is going to lose a lot. But of course, he'll finish the year with 4,500yds passing.

To his credit, he seems to be maturing as a QB and is improving by minimizing turnovers.

Edited by bobobonators

The problem is the WR core. TT has no one to throw to. 88 is made of glass. Hunter is new and Powell has lots of learning to do. Sammy is a bust and Woods can't thrive unless he's the slot w/ 2 GOOD receivers.

Would a poor man Favre turn the ball over like Stafford? I mean Stafford did well with Calvin Johnson there, more or less, but are you telling me for the past decade or more that the Bills FO is unable to find a suitable QB? Is TT really the best we could do in the past decade?

Edited by gr8billsfan

The Bills have had 2 winning seasons in 13 years.

TT has a winning record on these Bills over 21 games at 12-9. So how is what TT is doing (winning) easily dismissed but yet Stafford being at below .500 lauded?

Are you really judging Qbs by their win loss record? Because that is terrible logic. How many games have we won that are because of Tyrod's play?

And I got back and forth on Stafford. He makes a ton of mistakes but he has been awesome since Jim Bob became the OC. And shockingly, he got better after he lost one of the most physically gifted Qbs in NFL history.

Are you really judging Qbs by their win loss record? Because that is terrible logic. How many games have we won that are because of Tyrod's play?

And I got back and forth on Stafford. He makes a ton of mistakes but he has been awesome since Jim Bob became the OC. And shockingly, he got better after he lost one of the most physically gifted Qbs in NFL history.

If I judge TT by stats im told that stats are garbage time. If i judge TT by w/l im told that they dont matter. Gotcha.

How many is enough? We were 4th in the league in scoring before last week and scored 25 points. When are we passing enough? If the points aren't the indicator of a successful offense I am trying to figure out what is?

THE driver of that point production's on the bench with a hammy.

That's the problem.