Let's talk about...John Miller

Rubes

Hand technique was his big weakness coming out of college. Quick DTs like Donald would own him there.

His technique since then has improved greatly.

Functional strength as well...plus his footwork--not technique-wise, but rather cutting down on the number of steps it takes to get him where he needs to be.

He's following the exact career path I had him on before the 2015 draft. I suspect he'll make one more leap between this season and next, which will put him among the better guards in the NFL. I still don't think he'll ever be a pro bowl caliber guard, but that's totally fine with me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Functional strength as well...plus his footwork--not technique-wise, but rather cutting down on the number of steps it takes to get him where he needs to be.

He's following the exact career path I had him on before the 2015 draft. I suspect he'll make one more leap between this season and next, which will put him among the better guards in the NFL. I still don't think he'll ever be a pro bowl caliber guard, but that's totally fine with me.

Hasn't he been grading out at an unbelievable rate every week this season? Are you expecting regression? Otherwise one would assume a pro bowl this year (and in the future if he makes those leaps you speak about) is more than attainable?

Hasn't he been grading out at an unbelievable rate every week this season? Are you expecting regression? Otherwise one would assume a pro bowl this year (and in the future if he makes those leaps you speak about) is more than attainable?

He's been very good--Buffalo's best lineman IMO.

It's not that I'm expecting regression per se, I simply don't think he'll be among the top 6-8 guards in the NFL. He's not on the level of guys like Osemele, Yanda, etc., which is okay with me.

It's not that I'm expecting regression per se, I simply don't think he'll be among the top 6-8 guards in the NFL. He's not on the level of guys like Osemele, Yanda, etc., which is okay with me.

Physical limitations will stop him being a top-tier player but his technique can be nurtured to the point where he's a very reliable 10-12 year player. The thing that I think gets lost on people is that, as a offensive lineman, neutral can be a win. John is getting to the point already where he's not doing harm to the game plan.

If you get that from a 3rd round pick, that's return on investment you can live with.

I follow your logic - my comment is, hasn't he been grading out as THE best (if not it's gotta be top three) guard in the NFL? So shouldn't that warrant pro bowl consideration if that keeps up?

I follow your logic - my comment is, hasn't he been grading out as THE best (if not it's gotta be top three) guard in the NFL? So shouldn't that warrant pro bowl consideration if that keeps up?

PFF has him 24th in the NFL, Richie 39th.

24th as a pass blocker, 27th as a run blocker. I think that's probably fair.

PFF has him 24th in the NFL, Richie 39th.

24th as a pass blocker, 27th as a run blocker. I think that's probably fair.

Oh wow! I saw back to back weeks where he was an outrageous like +14 or something! Either I saw wrong or there's an insane amount of great guards this year puttin up huge numbers...or he had some stinkers to even out those awesome weeks

Physical limitations will stop him being a top-tier player but his technique can be nurtured to the point where he's a very reliable 10-12 year player. The thing that I think gets lost on people is that, as a offensive lineman, neutral can be a win. John is getting to the point already where he's not doing harm to the game plan.

If you get that from a 3rd round pick, that's return on investment you can live with.

Absolutely.

It's the very thing that I said leading up to the 2015 draft when I looked at his video: mid-round pick, immediate starter, long-time contributor, never a pro bowler...and that's totally fine.

Oh wow! I saw back to back weeks where he was an outrageous like +14 or something! Either I saw wrong or there's an insane amount of great guards this year puttin up huge numbers...or he had some stinkers to even out those awesome weeks

That's still pretty good out of 64 players. I don't think you could honestly expect much more from a 3rd round player. I think the Bills line has been playing better than PFF is currently stating. I suppose they are also looking at the first two games in which the Bills run game was nonexistent. The current ranking should improve if they continue to play as well as they have in the last three games.

"20. Buffalo Bills (10)

Starters: LT Cordy Glenn, LG Richie Incognito, C Eric Wood, RG John Miller, RT Jordan Mills

The Bills’ line has been impressively average across the board. RT Jordan Mills probably strays the furthest from average when it comes to his run blocking, but he has actually been relatively solid as a pass blocker to balance that, allowing only six total pressures and no sacks or hits yet this year. Strangely, only LG Richie Incognito has actually surrendered a sack amongst the starters, and he has coughed up three on his own."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/

That's still pretty good out of 64 players. I don't think you could honestly expect much more from a 3rd round player. I think the Bills line has been playing better than PFF is currently stating. I suppose they are also looking at the first two games in which the Bills run game was nonexistent. The current ranking should improve if they continue to play as well as they have in the last three games.

"20. Buffalo Bills (10)

Starters: LT Cordy Glenn, LG Richie Incognito, C Eric Wood, RG John Miller, RT Jordan Mills

The Bills’ line has been impressively average across the board. RT Jordan Mills probably strays the furthest from average when it comes to his run blocking, but he has actually been relatively solid as a pass blocker to balance that, allowing only six total pressures and no sacks or hits yet this year. Strangely, only LG Richie Incognito has actually surrendered a sack amongst the starters, and he has coughed up three on his own."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/

I don't understand how they grade O-linemen. The giants legit have pressure on every single pass play, and average about 50 yards rushing per game. But their Line is top 5? Whaaaat?

I don't understand how they grade O-linemen. The giants legit have pressure on every single pass play, and average about 50 yards rushing per game. But their Line is top 5? Whaaaat?

Yep. Their line is not good. I have long been dubious about PFF's line gradings.

I don't know if they've done a re-grade from the time I received the PDF files but Miller has a cumulative gameday grade of -1.3.

The 77.4 grade for him is the high-end of average. 81.7 in pass pro is very good, 75.0 as a run blocker.

I don't have a clue how he can be below average (0.0 being completely neutral) in one set but above average/good in others.

Edited by Blokestradamus

From what I surmise is that they grade individuals rather than how the entire unit is playing and thus they grade each player and then add the totals. Richie Incognito graded so highly last season he really made up for the right side of that Bills line as they graded at #10 overall and we all saw how bad that right side was at times.

It is rather dubious that the three worst graded lines this year are the Rams, Seahawks, and Vikings. Yet all three teams have a winning record. However, we do see the Seahawks is the worst just by watching the games and should Wilson miss a game we would really see just how bad that line really is playing. Minnesota is last in the NFL in rushing and the Rams are 28th. Plus the Rams are last in the league in three and out percentage.

Does John Miller have anything to do with this? Yep!

@PFF_Zoltan

Highest average yards before contact (OL perf. indicator): 1. Buffalo 2.78 2. Atlanta 2.42 3. Carolina 2.42 4. Chicago 2.36 5. Dallas 2.31

Man, someone really has a lot of time on their hands to calculate that ****.