North Dakota - pipeline

tomato can

I mean, it is understandable and reasonable why people protest... Not that I agree and I am willing to put our good enviro record to the test by being for the pipeline. Yet, understandable/reasonable (protests) when crazy schit like this happens:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/09/red-river-russia-possible-factory-leak/

Thank God we don't live in Russia. But, we are all still on the same rock.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I mean, it is understandable and reasonable why people protest... Not that I agree and I am willing to put our good enviro record to the test by being for the pipeline. Yet, understandable/reasonable (protests) when crazy schit like this happens:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/09/red-river-russia-possible-factory-leak/

Of course it's Norilsk. Norilsk is one of the most polluted places on the planet.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/09/red-river-russia-possible-factory-leak/ Russian River turns Red

bgg7q_s-200x150.gif

Of course it's Norilsk. Norilsk is one of the most polluted places on the planet.

I wonder if that river can freeze in that state? Being so heavily polluted, does it freeze anyway?

You know what is some scary schit... Some places here. Like the Illinois Waterway near Joliet. It will get to 20 below Fahrenheit for a month and the river (canal) will still stay liquid @ 40 degrees. I like to think it is just warm water, not the anti-freeze in it... ;-)

Gotta get damn cold in Norilsk... I wonder if that pollution allows the water to freeze? Or is it just one big steam show?

...Yeah my point, TomatoCan? There was a time, not too long ago when a "Death Smog" was hanging over Donora, PA (1946). That changed everything in this country. We just won the war and people were dropping by our own hand. We do take our recent environmental record for granted. I don't think it unreasonable to protest something somebody mistrusts or feels uncomfortable w/near where they live. Yet, they need to learn and research the science behind things. I agree, pipeline should be built AND the enviro crowds need to keep foot on pedal... Just not unreasonably mashed to the floor. Again, fine line here between a successful taking of a natural resources and protecting our environment. Unfortunately, the Rooskies can't get it through their thick Commie heads... OR, most other parts of the world we chase our Donora, PAs to...

I wonder if that river can freeze in that state? Being so heavily polluted, does it freeze anyway?

You know what is some scary schit... Some places here. Like the Illinois Waterway near Joliet. It will get to 20 below Fahrenheit for a month and the river (canal) will still stay liquid @ 40 degrees. I like to think it is just warm water, not the anti-freeze in it... ;-)

Gotta get damn cold in Norilsk... I wonder if that pollution allows the water to freeze? Or is it just one big steam show?

It gets down to 50 below. I don't think there's anything that doesn't freeze there.

Norilsk Nickel released a statement, too: "There's nothing wrong. The river is its normal color."

...Yeah my point, TomatoCan? There was a time, not too long ago when a "Death Smog" was hanging over Donora, PA (1946). That changed everything in this country. We just won the war and people were dropping by our own hand. We do take our recent environmental record for granted. I don't think it unreasonable to protest something somebody mistrusts or feels uncomfortable w/near where they live. Yet, they need to learn and research the science behind things. I agree, pipeline should be built AND the enviro crowds need to keep foot on pedal... Just not unreasonably mashed to the floor. Again, fine line here between a successful taking of a natural resources and protecting our environment. Unfortunately, the Rooskies can't get it through their thick Commie heads... OR, most other parts of the world we chase our Donora, PAs to...

I understand what you are saying. The USACE process to obtain the permits is pretty thorough. The tribes were all involved.

The judge overruled them this afternoon and allowed the work to continue. Shortly after the Obama Adminstration shut the work down.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/the-obama-administration-temporarily-blocks-the-dakota-access-pipeline/499454/?utm_source=atlfb

The story is that they offered the tribe $10 million to go through the rez. The tribe wanted 20 so the builders decided to go around them instead. Now the outcry is that their water supply is in danger, because the construction is upstream (but off the Rez) of their "sacred" lake.

Follow the money, it will explain everything.

The story is that they offered the tribe $10 million to go through the rez. The tribe wanted 20 so the builders decided to go around them instead. Now the outcry is that their water supply is in danger, because the construction is upstream (but off the Rez) of their "sacred" lake.

Follow the money, it will explain everything.

Yep... You think the tribe would have figured out how much it would cost them to go around and use that in negotiations before doubling rhe amount they were asking. The amount going around has to much closer to 10 million than 20. What a bunch of idiots!

Play high-risk, high reward and a lot of times one gets boopkiss. Now they cry "environmental saftey." That is always a big what if, what a stupid way to think. They thought they had them cornered having to run through The Rez... Guess not.

Wow... Bummer!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 1 month later...
Defeated in court, the Dakota Access Pipeline protests continue

Two different courts have now heard complaints from both Native American and environmental extremist groups and rejected attempts to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline project’s construction. One might assume that this legal process would be enough to see the various parties satisfied that everyone had been given their rightful hearing in court and, while perhaps unhappy, get us back on track. The reality is far different. The protests are not only continuing, but in some cases bending seriously toward even more incidents of violence. This might be tamped down a bit if there was full government cooperation, but thus far the White House doesn’t seem inclined to offer any real support for the victors in the legal battles.

All the while, people living in the area of the pipeline construction project – particularly those in law enforcement – are growing nervous that what is now merely unpleasant could turn seriously violent. And one big reason is that there are competing groups of protesters on site. Some are Native American tribe members who have largely followed the law, but others are imports from activist groups who are causing problems.

On one side you have the Sioux Nation’s concerns over their ancestral lands and the possible desecration of graves or destruction of cultural artifacts. While numerous inspections have failed to locate any such cultural materials along the planned route (where previous pipeline and power line work has already been completed) that’s a legitimate concern. The owners of the project must be mindful of these concerns and remain diligent in preventing any such destruction while keeping the tribes in the loop on their activity. But that’s not the same as the other groups who are there. They are protesting fossil fuels and don’t seem to give more than lip service to the concerns of the tribes.

There have already been too many incidents which have either turned violent or led to intimidation of the construction crews and even the local authorities. There needs to be a stronger federal presence here, particularly since it’s federal property where one of the largest protest camps is located. Work ground to a halt while the various concerns were aired out in court but the process has been followed according to the law. The Obama administration may not like the decision of the courts, but they need to abide by it, protect these workers and restore order.