Who helped and hurt their case tonight?

Big C

He was then like the Cardale/Listenbee picks were this year.......modest gambles on physical measurables over college production.

Duke had the fastest 20 yard shuttle time and 4th best 40 time of the safeties at the combine in his draft year and like Listenbee he did that with an injury(turf toe).......so physically the guy was high pedigree athlete.

How many years and how many D coordinators before you know what you have. I thought Donnie henderson would have him sorted out, but he did not

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like the list, but Gragg is missing from "helped." He played well last year toward the end of the season. Nice to see the backup TE's having a good game.

Agreed, it's a good list. Gragg made the team in the first quarter of the game with his play -- if he wasn't already a lock.

Yes, I should have put Chris Gragg on my list for "Helped".

He's been a difficult player to figure out since he's been with us.

Tight End depth is a big concern to me for the Bills, and I am hoping someone in this group can establish themselves.

Gragg had a good game on Saturday.

Yes, I should have put Chris Gragg on my list for "Helped".

He's been a difficult player to figure out since he's been with us.

Tight End depth is a big concern to me for the Bills, and I am hoping someone in this group can establish themselves.

Gragg had a good game on Saturday.

I'm with you there on Gragg. I really liked his athleticism coming out of college and he's made a (very) few plays here and there that have given me hope. He looked really good Saturday though, let's hope he keeps it up.

How many years and how many D coordinators before you know what you have. I thought Donnie henderson would have him sorted out, but he did not

I think Henderson was a great coach. Ive noticed for some players regardless of coaching it takes longer for the game to 'click' for them. Im not convinced by one pre-season game but he def stepped up made plays and showed progression everyone wanted to see 1-2 years ago.

Good thread. I find this the best way to look at pre-season. I've tried to order them in terms of who helped his case most not who played the best so for me:

Helped:

#1 - Duke Williams - there is a 4th safety spot there for the winning and Duke Williams had an excellent game. I thought there were signs of him coming on at the end of the Marrone / Schwartz year but then last year he looked lost in the defense. He has always been a decent hitter, but last year he blew so many coverages he was a liability on the field. I wonder if he was one of those who struggled to understand the defense? Because last night he seemed to know his coverage responsibilities and was really effective breaking up passes. He has jumped back above Jonathan Meeks' supposed strong camp and Colt Anderson's special teams play.

#2 - Walt Powell - had a really good night with his judgment on returns and made some good plays on offense with a couple of very nice grabs from EJ. For me he is in that mix for the 6th receiver / special teams ace role that has been played by Marcus Easley the past couple of seasons (even if Easley's contributions were as a gunner not a returner).

Agree with all except I think Powell is gonna be 4th or 5th WR. Based on Astros notes and last game I dont see anyone passing Powell on the depth chart other than Sammy Woods and Goodwin, do you? I would think its Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, Powell, Dez, Listenbee (Hes a rookie they invested in and they wont get rid of him with that speed hes already a lock in my book due to draft.), and Easley. Was really impressed with Seymour, that eye surgery def helped. I think that surgery rose his ceiling another notch. Also who knew Cardale would be a "gamer!" that was a good surprise. I wasnt really a believer till I saw the instincts he displayed on Sat. Its gonna be fun watching him learn by trial of fire this pre-season.

I think Henderson was a great coach. Ive noticed for some players regardless of coaching it takes longer for the game to 'click' for them. Im not convinced by one pre-season game but he def stepped up made plays and showed progression everyone wanted to see 1-2 years ago.

Agree with all except I think Powell is gonna be 4th or 5th WR. Based on Astros notes and last game I dont see anyone passing Powell on the depth chart other than Sammy Woods and Goodwin, do you? I would think its Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, Powell, Dez, Listenbee (Hes a rookie they invested in and they wont get rid of him with that speed hes already a lock in my book due to draft.), and Easley. Was really impressed with Seymour, that eye surgery def helped. I think that surgery rose his ceiling another notch. Also who knew Cardale would be a "gamer!" that was a good surprise. I wasnt really a believer till I saw the instincts he displayed on Sat. Its gonna be fun watching him learn by trial of fire this pre-season.

One preseason means little of course. Repeatability, or consistency is the key.

Powell seems to me a 4th-5th too. like the work effort !

Looks like his hard work is paying off for him.

Jones is going to be fun to have on the team, i really feel that already

One preseason means little of course. Repeatability, or consistency is the key.

Powell seems to me a 4th-5th too. like the work effort !

Looks like his hard work is paying off for him.

Jones is going to be fun to have on the team, i really feel that already

Most def. I dont know about you guys but Cardale is making the 3th and 4th quarter pre-season games must see tv for me.

Edited by Marty McFly

Most def. I dont know about you guys but Cardale is making the 3th and 4th quarter pre-season games must see tv for me.

Thats cool actually. and what watching football should be about.

and i agree. The kids smile is genuine

Thats cool actually. and what watching football should be about.

and i agree. The kids smile is genuine

I felt bad for EJ when the announcers were like "one thing I see in Cardale that I have never seen from EJ, is that he looks comfortable out there, hes comfortable running the offense" while I think its sad, I have to agree, kid looked like he belonged there, just gotta get the football IQ up and strengthen his mechanics we might have something there in a couple years.

I felt bad for EJ when the announcers were like "one thing I see in Cardale that I have never seen from EJ, is that he looks comfortable out there, hes comfortable running the offense" while I think its sad, I have to agree, kid looked like he belonged there, just gotta get the football IQ up and strengthen his mechanics we might have something there in a couple years.

It was Tasker and Stone. Thats was some of the worst game analysis i have EVER witnessed. even for Preseason.

Yea whats up with Tasker kinda of being a dick on that game

Its not his first time. But it really stood out to me he was not prepared.

Folks have mentioned he has been struggling for awhile.

When a former Buffalo Bill does not know the players numbers or names and mix up which teams and positions they play i worry for the CTE. honestly.

But i do not want to go down that path too far Marty. sorry.

When we can find some positives in that game from some of the younger players and new FA guys to look forward to

Its not his first time. But it really stood out to me he was not prepared.

Folks have mentioned he has been struggling for awhile.

When a former Buffalo Bill does not know the players numbers or names and mix up which teams and positions they play i worry for the CTE. honestly.

But i do not want to go down that path too far Marty. sorry.

When we can find some positives in that game from some of the younger players and new FA guys to look forward to

I agree with the positive attitude big breh. Theres enuff doom and gloom from all the N3 s here. I wqonder how much they get paid to do commentary? Sounds like a sweet job, free tickets to Bills games and scheming on hot girls that wanna open up like lamborgini doors cuz im on TV and Famous. Im really excited for Seymore considering he was highly regarded in college when his vision was messed up something like 40/20. Got his eyesight fixed in the off-season and as his eyes adapt more hes starting to improve. I think watever ceiling he had before, was shattered after he got the eye surgery. think about it, guy has been playing his whole career with !@#$ed up depth perception which caused him to not catch a lot of interceptions (which was one of the biggest knocks against his game), player fixes eyesight has 1 interception in 1st pre-season game and a couple good break ups and only allows one catch. Also J Williams, mark my words, will be the guy to replace Shady when the time comes. Kid is outstanding if you check his college highlights. He has the "holy ****" plays CONSISTENTLY and proved it again in the pre-season game just look at his YPC, hes gonna be a beast. Who impressed you the most 3rd?

What makes you question Cardale's football IQ? That comment seems at odds with the rest of your take on Cardale.

What makes you question Cardale's football IQ? That comment seems at odds with the rest of your take on Cardale.

When I said football IQ, I meant his situational football instincts. You know the stuff you can really only learn by logging real game time.

I agree with the positive attitude big breh. Theres enuff doom and gloom from all the N3 s here. I wqonder how much they get paid to do commentary? Sounds like a sweet job, free tickets to Bills games and scheming on hot girls that wanna open up like lamborgini doors cuz im on TV and Famous. Im really excited for Seymore considering he was highly regarded in college when his vision was messed up something like 40/20. Got his eyesight fixed in the off-season and as his eyes adapt more hes starting to improve. I think watever ceiling he had before, was shattered after he got the eye surgery. think about it, guy has been playing his whole career with !@#$ed up depth perception which caused him to not catch a lot of interceptions (which was one of the biggest knocks against his game), player fixes eyesight has 1 interception in 1st pre-season game and a couple good break ups and only allows one catch. Also J Williams, mark my words, will be the guy to replace Shady when the time comes. Kid is outstanding if you check his college highlights. He has the "holy ****" plays CONSISTENTLY and proved it again in the pre-season game just look at his YPC, hes gonna be a beast. Who impressed you the most 3rd?

Not sure yet Marty. But we shall revisit this question soon I hope !

Enjoy the dialogue> rootin for Seymore and J williams, watched his highlights too !

I like some of the Vet Fa pick ups like Blanton and Z Brown.

but we can keep tabs as the team gets up to speed !

:thumbsup:

When I said football IQ, I meant his situational football instincts. You know the stuff you can really only learn by logging real game time.

Thats a fair answer. Why it is nice he gets time to watch the pros and pick TT and even EJMs brain. Got a good feeling about him. Just raw

Maybe it's just me, but when I see the term "IQ", I think someone is referring to a person's inherent intelligence, not their experience level. To me, football IQ refers to inherent feel for the game, which I think Cardale has in spades. Edited by mannc

Maybe it's just me, but when I see the term "IQ", I think someone is referring to a person's inherent intelligence, not their experience level. To me, football IQ refers to inherent feel for the game, which I think Cardale has in spades.

I understand what you mean and now you understand what I meant. Cant believe we have a developmental QB with stacked physical talent that hasnt been thrown rite into the fire yet. I cant remember the last time we had that. (Kolb and EJ dont count since the rubber mat took him out with a steel chair)

Not sure yet Marty. But we shall revisit this question soon I hope !

Enjoy the dialogue> rootin for Seymore and J williams, watched his highlights too !

I like some of the Vet Fa pick ups like Blanton and Z Brown.

but we can keep tabs as the team gets up to speed !

:thumbsup:

Thats a fair answer. Why it is nice he gets time to watch the pros and pick TT and even EJMs brain. Got a good feeling about him. Just raw

I was a fan of the Blanton and ZBrown signings. Can you imagine if we didnt pick up ZBrown? our LBs would be in trouble.... I hope Blanton gets a lot of reps this pre-season in case Aaron has to walk away from the game. Based on Cardale, Blanton needing to step up in case Aaron stays out, J Williams return to the field, and the WR competition its gonna be a fun pre-season to watch.

A bit of a tangent here, but I hate how Duke Williams tackles. He often flies up for the big hit, and fails to wrap up his tackle. Typically, the ball carrier just bounces off of him and scampers for more yards. This happened twice during the Colts game.

That said, I have noticed a positive difference in his play during this offseason.