dicesare's right to smell rat in peter king piece

dave mcbride

Sam Wyche.

Regardless of what i think of bledsoe's play, dicesare is absolutely right on. that piece by king stinks of skullduggery. (on a somewhat related note, recall that the highly erroneous 20-20 hindsight piece king recently wrote trashing lawyer milloy looks a lot like payback for milloy's lying to him about contractual dealings (in august 03) with the skins prior to the pats cuttting him (and why shouldn't he have lied about this topic to a national reporter?). as well, as GG pointed out, king got the facts wrong about the wind, which suggests that someone with motives to trash bledsoe dreamed it up knowing king would never check. my guess as to the culprit: sam wyche, who has longstanding connections to the national media. wyche makes a lot of sense, since he's a huge booster of j.p. and is a fly-off-the-handle sort of guy. most crucially, check out this puff piece on wyche one year ago by king:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...yche/index.html

also, check this early 2005 column out, which shows that king has clearly stayed in contact with wyche:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...mqb.moss.part2/

key quote:

4. I think one of my favorite stories from the season, looking back, is how Sam Wyche, the quarterbacks coach in Buffalo, got his guys to relax. Sometimes, not every day, when Wyche sensed his QBs were nodding off and not paying attention, he'd pull out the airline pillows he bought for them (you know the ones that fit snugly around your neck so you can, theoretically, fall asleep sitting up practically anywhere), turn off the lights, have them turn their chairs around to see a large beach-scene picture at the back of the meeting room, and call out, "Power nap time!'' Fifteen minutes later, he'd rouse them and they'd be back to work.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam Wyche.

Regardless of what i think of bledsoe's play, dicesare is absolutely right on. that piece by king stinks of skullduggery. (on a somewhat related note, recall that the highly erroneous 20-20 hindsight piece king recently wrote trashing lawyer milloy looks a lot like payback for milloy's lying to him about contractual dealings (in august 03) with the skins prior to the pats cuttting him (and why shouldn't he have lied about this topic to a national reporter?).  as well, as GG pointed out, king got the facts wrong about the wind, which suggests that someone with motives to trash bledsoe dreamed it up knowing king would never check.  my guess as to the culprit: sam wyche, who has longstanding connections to the national media.  wyche makes a lot of sense, since he's a huge booster of j.p. and is a fly-off-the-handle sort of guy. most crucially, check out this puff piece on wyche one year ago by king:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...yche/index.html

also, check this early 2005 column out, which shows that king has clearly stayed in contact with wyche:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...mqb.moss.part2/

key quote:

4. I think one of my favorite stories from the season, looking back, is how Sam Wyche, the quarterbacks coach in Buffalo, got his guys to relax. Sometimes, not every day, when Wyche sensed his QBs were nodding off and not paying attention, he'd pull out the airline pillows he bought for them (you know the ones that fit snugly around your neck so you can, theoretically, fall asleep sitting up practically anywhere), turn off the lights, have them turn their chairs around to see a large beach-scene picture at the back of the meeting room, and call out, "Power nap time!'' Fifteen minutes later, he'd rouse them and they'd be back to work.

248321[/snapback]

Maybe true that Wyche is he source but probably false ranging from someone else is the source to King's version of Chinese telephone with a story Wyche told. This is way to theoretical to me much of an issue for a Bills fan regarding a player who ain't here no more.

Maybe true that Wyche is he source but probably false ranging from someone else is the source to King's version of Chinese telephone with a story Wyche told.  This is way to theoretical to me much of an issue for a Bills fan regarding a player who ain't here no more.

248329[/snapback]

That's really what it comes down to for me as well.

I enjoyed the article, it was a great read... but Drew is yesterday's news.

I still don't get what purpose it serves to leak this story now, after Bledsoe is already gone? And if the coaches are the ones making the decision about who starts at QB, and they decided on JP, what does Wyche have to gain from this story getting out? The media plays no role in influencing who starts for us at QB.

I still don't get what purpose it serves to leak this story now, after Bledsoe is already gone? And if the coaches are the ones making the decision about who starts at QB, and they decided on JP, what does Wyche have to gain from this story getting out? The media plays no role in influencing who starts for us at QB.

248362[/snapback]

It does if JP fails and Drew does well elsewhere. They can always fll back on it and say there were other issues why Drew was really gone.

248362[/snapback]

payback for something, i suspect. it's pretty inarguable that it's vindictive and intended to do bledsoe harm as he seeks another job. and it's from someone in the know who isn't hitched to bledsoe personally yet has to deal with him. since donohoe, modrak, and john guy ultimately are the guys responsible for bringing bledsoe here, they have nothing to gain from this - it just makes them look bad. clements and mularkey don't seem like the type. wyche does, and recall that he's pretty protective of mularkey (he got him started in his coaching career).

clements and mularkey don't seem like the type.  wyche does, and recall that he's pretty protective of mularkey (he got him started in his coaching career).

248367[/snapback]

He does? I don't know the man, but just about everything I've read about him seems to paint him in a good light.

Sam Wyche.

as GG pointed out, king got the facts wrong about the wind, which suggests that someone with motives to trash bledsoe dreamed it up knowing king would never check. 

248321[/snapback]

Where do you get he got the facts wrong? Who's GG?

GG is google guy.  :P

248404[/snapback]

So the whole King Article was false? I don't buy it. Dicesare would have pointed that out (about the wind) if it weren't true. The fact that Dicesare doesn't offer anything to disprove King's article proves the accuracy of the King piece.

The question Dicesare is asking is "who leaked it and why". My answer: Who gives a damn. If I were TD I would leak that too. Drew deserves to get torn to pieces for a stunt like that...especially if it was symptomatic of his attitude in general towards his coaches and teammates.

So the whole King Article was false? I don't buy it. Dicesare would have pointed that out (about the wind) if it weren't true. The fact that Dicesare doesn't offer anything to disprove King's article proves the accuracy of the King piece.

The question Dicesare is asking is "who leaked it and why". My answer: Who gives a damn. If I were TD I would leak that too. Drew deserves to get torn to pieces for a stunt like that...especially if it was symptomatic of his attitude in general towards his coaches and teammates.

248413[/snapback]

Who cares "against the wind"? You still have 2 quarters with and 2 quarters against the wind, there is no changing that fact. The Bills defense sucked that day and it didn't matter if we were going west in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th.

Who cares "against the wind"?  You still have 2 quarters with and 2 quarters against the wind, there is no changing that fact.  The Bills defense sucked that day and it didn't matter if we were going west in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th.

248427[/snapback]

I'm not saying the wind cost the Bills the game. I'm saying it speaks volumes about Drew if he goes out there and intentionally disobeyes the coaches. It goes beyond arrogant. It is flat out poor leadership. How could you possibly defend Drew's actions?

Combine that with Drew's PC and comments about JP, and it shows me there was a lot of trouble brewing behind the scenes that we weren't privy too. I'm not saying Drew is a bad guy, but it seems to me like he had worn out his welcome with teammates and coaches.

So, I say again, good riddence.

payback for something, i suspect. it's pretty inarguable that it's vindictive and intended to do bledsoe harm as he seeks another job.  and it's from someone in the know who isn't hitched to bledsoe personally yet has to deal with him.  since donohoe, modrak, and john guy ultimately are the guys responsible for bringing bledsoe here, they have nothing to gain from this - it just makes them look bad. clements and mularkey don't seem like the type.  wyche does, and recall that he's pretty protective of mularkey (he got him started in his coaching career).

248367[/snapback]

I give your theory some creedance (I have my source at One Bills Drive), but my only question would be, hasn't Peter King been one of Bledsoe's biggest national media supporters? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember him gushing over all things Bledsoe over the years...

Upon further review, isn't it possible that TD is the source his own self?

DeCeserie correctly points out, TD has a history of not being very loyal to his players. I won't call into question TD's abilities as a GM, but I have always been a little surprised by how he has treated some of these guys, on their way out....as much as we all wanted RJ gone, I seem to remember (my memory is a liittle fuzzy on the specifics now) that TD said some pretty crappy things about him, after making a pitch to keep him...

Upon further review, isn't it possible that TD is the source his own self?

DeCeserie correctly points out, TD has a history of not being very loyal to his players.  I won't call into question TD's abilities as a GM, but I have always been a little surprised by how he has treated some of these guys, on their way out....as much as we all wanted RJ gone, I seem to remember (my memory is a liittle fuzzy on the specifics now) that TD said some pretty crappy things about him, after making a pitch to keep him...

248451[/snapback]

Good. I want a manager that cuts the fluff.