How Brady is beating defenses before ball is even snapped

I agree with most of this; my statement about Brady being frustrated was based upon his demeanor during the game--he acted the way he does when things aren't going his way (which is not often).

I also think that it's unrealistic to expect to prevent big plays from Brady altogether; it's far more reasonable to try to limit them. Do what Belichick does: take away the thing that your opponent does best (get the ball to Gronk).

Anyway, here's hoping that Rex does more of what we saw in that game and less of what we saw in weeks 2-7.

You gotta know that i really disliked that the Patriots stole a WR from Buffalo with the nickname 7/11 (because he is always open). This reminds me of the Patriots stealing away a relatively unknown non-starting WR at the time from the Dolphins named Wes Welker back in 2007. Hogan about the only Bills WR not injured at some point last year? Then, not to mention that the Patriots also signed Martellus Bennett away from Chicago...like Brady needs another top pass catching TE. I will literally hate the NFL and football if Brady should win another championship and be the greatest QB of all time by winning another SB.

You know, I really wanted to see Rex Ryan do well in Buffalo despite all his brash talk and broken promises. I bought into his last year's offseason hype of the building one of the greatest defenses ever last year. I have been hoping for years and years for the Buffalo Bills to build a super power run game with a super strong defense to mimic the Baltimore Ravens style of play. My problem is I just have a tough time getting over what Ryan did to the defense last year and now the team needs to keep drafting for the defense to allow Ryan to keep building his outdated 3-4 two-gap scheme.

I'm with you in hoping that Ryan gets his stuff together this year and does more of what we saw against the Colts week one and against the Patriots week in eleven. If Ryan actually works hard to bring it every week then the Bills have an honest shot to be a good team. Should Ryan not put forth the effort to that happen then I hope that Pegula makes a change and ends this stupidity of switching defensive schemes again.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta know that i really disliked that the Patriots stole a WR from Buffalo with the nickname 7/11 (because he is always open). This reminds me of the Patriots stealing away a relatively unknown non-starting WR at the time from the Dolphins named Wes Welker back in 2007. Hogan about the only Bills WR not injured at some point last year? Then, not to mention that the Patriots also signed Martellus Bennett away from Chicago...like Brady needs another top pass catching TE. I will literally hate the NFL and football if Brady should win another championship and be the greatest QB of all time by winning another SB.

You know, I really wanted to see Rex Ryan do well in Buffalo despite all his brash talk and broken promises. I bought into his last year's offseason hype of the building one of the greatest defenses ever last year. I have been hoping for years and years for the Buffalo Bills to build a super power run game with a super strong defense to mimic the Baltimore Ravens style of play. My problem is I just have a tough time getting over what Ryan did to the defense last year and now the team needs to keep drafting for the defense to allow Ryan to keep building his outdated 3-4 two-gap scheme.

I'm with you in hoping that Ryan gets his stuff together this year and does more of what we saw against the Colts week one and against the Patriots week in eleven. If Ryan actually works hard to bring it every week then the Bills have an honest shot to be a good team. Should Ryan not put forth the effort to that happen then I hope that Pegula makes a change and ends this stupidity of switching defensive schemes again.

...by switching defensive schemes again.

:lol: I keed, I keed....

More specifically check out the snap to throw #s in game 1 vs pats vs game 2 last season in this article....http://www.cover1.net/2016/01/2016122mergedsystems/

Interesting read that really doesn't take into consideration other differences between the two games such as the Patriots receiving corps and the offensive line being so different because of so many injuries to the Patriots starters. So, it was far easier for the Bills defense to pressure Brady in that second game! But yes, it was more than obvious Ryan changed "things" up in that second game. "Things" meaning he called more a one-gap 3-4 scheme and blitzed more often.

Let's also not forget what the newest addition to the Buffalo Bills coaching staff stated after watching film of last years defense. "When Ed Reed went and watched film of the 2015 Bills, the lack of communication astounded him."

Not to mention the confusion he saw between the players and the lack of effort.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/06/ed_reed_saw_confusion_and_guys_not_giving_effort_when_watching_2015_bills.html

I like to refer to the Bills 2015 defense as merged bullsh!t, or merged excuses. This wasn't a first-year head coach or someone that hasn't seen a Patriots offense very often like Jim Schwartz. This was a head coach that has seen Tom Brady and that New England offense twice each year for the previous six seasons! In his time with the NY Jets, he had only 4 wins out of 13 games and the bulk of those wins came in 2009 (1x)-2010 (2x).

Here is the bottom line in my view. In five years from now when Rex Ryan has all the players on the roster, he needs to run his specific 3-4 two-gap scheme. I think we can expect to see the very same results we saw from what he did after five seasons with the NY Jets. A defense that can limit yards to a degree but suffers in points allowed per game and by suffering I mean by about 20th in the league in points allowed which is nowhere near good enough. I also think we Bills fans will need to wait for Tom Brady to retire before Rex Ryan will beat the Patriots again.

There really shouldn't be any more excuses about anything from this head coach. Win or be gone!

Interesting read that really doesn't take into consideration other differences between the two games such as the Patriots receiving corps and the offensive line being so different because of so many injuries to the Patriots starters. So, it was far easier for the Bills defense to pressure Brady in that second game! But yes, it was more than obvious Ryan changed "things" up in that second game. "Things" meaning he called more a one-gap 3-4 scheme and blitzed more often.

Let's also not forget what the newest addition to the Buffalo Bills coaching staff stated after watching film of last years defense. "When Ed Reed went and watched film of the 2015 Bills, the lack of communication astounded him."

Not to mention the confusion he saw between the players and the lack of effort.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/06/ed_reed_saw_confusion_and_guys_not_giving_effort_when_watching_2015_bills.html

I like to refer to the Bills 2015 defense as merged bullsh!t, or merged excuses. This wasn't a first-year head coach or someone that hasn't seen a Patriots offense very often like Jim Schwartz. This was a head coach that has seen Tom Brady and that New England offense twice each year for the previous six seasons! In his time with the NY Jets, he had only 4 wins out of 13 games and the bulk of those wins came in 2009 (1x)-2010 (2x).

Here is the bottom line in my view. In five years from now when Rex Ryan has all the players on the roster, he needs to run his specific 3-4 two-gap scheme. I think we can expect to see the very same results we saw from what he did after five seasons with the NY Jets. A defense that can limit yards to a degree but suffers in points allowed per game and by suffering I mean by about 20th in the league in points allowed which is nowhere near good enough. I also think we Bills fans will need to wait for Tom Brady to retire before Rex Ryan will beat the Patriots again.

There really shouldn't be any more excuses about anything from this head coach. Win or be gone!

Two things:

1) Serious question: Have you read Rex's playbook? It's not a 1-gap or 2-gap scheme exclusively. It's split between both.

2) What could possibly have you under the impression that Rex needs 5 years to get the personnel for his D? What are they really missing? A true NT? Maybe a playmaker at safety?

There's a lot of hyperbole in there.

Two things:

1) Serious question: Have you read Rex's playbook? It's not a 1-gap or 2-gap scheme exclusively. It's split between both.

2) What could possibly have you under the impression that Rex needs 5 years to get the personnel for his D? What are they really missing? A true NT? Maybe a playmaker at safety?

I am of the opinion Rex will pretty much have what he wants in place this year.

Just don't see too many player shortcomings that are more than the normal year to year issues with FA and the draft, attrition and development.

Perhaps it will come down to , week in week out Coaching plans.

Also do not feel the do or die pressure this year for the program. But i think Rex will define his future with the Bills and possibly HC-ing in general this season.

Go Bills !

Two things:

1) I understand that Rex's playbook isn't supposed to be about one set scheme or set and employs a multitude of fronts, looks to disguise the coverage and confuse the opposing QB. He even incorporated Jim Schwartz's 4-3 wide nine into his playbook last season. That doesn't alter the results of what transpired last season on the field for Buffalo in being 31st in sacks and dead last in the NFL in QB pressures and middling in stats at the end of the season. There is a distinct reason for those numbers.

I mean, it has to be more than obvious that the overall defensive playcalling and schemes, fronts, sets, looks that Ryan employed last season weren't working very well except for in a select few games.

This, with one of the premier defensive front four's in the league in which three of the four were named to the pro bowl just the previous season and that fourth could have easily also been named to the pro bowl with his 10 sacks and 36 tackles. The Bills also employed possibly the two very best cornerbacks in the league last season in Gilmore and Darby. Rex Ryan himself stated before the season that he had never had this much player talent on a defense.

First off, understand that Marcell Dareus was complaining about how he was being asked to play in Ryan's scheme from training camp and after reading about what exactly he was saying. It was that he wanted to go back to Schwartz's style of 4-3, in just going after the QB on passing downs the majority of the time. After all, isn't that what the team had just given him a 100 million dollar contract to do?

Now Mario didn't start going public with his complaints about how he was being used until much later and his complaint wasn't exactly for the same reason. Mario was complaining about how often he was being asked to drop into pass coverage more than anything else.

If you read an article written by an ex-NFL defensive player who reviewed the game film of the week four NY Giants game in which he stated that Ryan used a two-gap run-stopping scheme the majority of the game, and he also noted that this isn't what the highly paid Buffalo Bills defensive linemen were given all that money to do. It was also noted by an ex-NFL player that after 7 games that Dareus was only asked to drop into coverage around 4 times, that Mario was asked to drop into coverage 14 times in that same period of time. Even the Bills HoF great QB Jim Kelly was questioning all those drop backs into pass coverage by the defensive linemen.

The media gave Rex Ryan's 2015 defense a nickname called "Wreck's D"!

Talk about hyperbole...

"Ryan's quote: "You mentioned how well we played on defense last year. Fourth in the league is probably a little disappointing, to be honest with you, because that's not where my expectations are. I know we'll lead the league in defense.

The reality: The Bills rank 20th in total defense, closer to being the worst defense in the NFL than the best."

"Ryan's quote: "We play defense based on our personnel, not just the scheme. I don't try to put a square peg in a round hole. I think I've been around enough to adjust based on the players that I have, the talents of the players that I have, and it'll be no different this year."

"The reality: Ryan has tried to fit a square peg in a round hole. After Jim Schwartz ran his "wide nine" scheme last season and allowed the Bills' defensive line to focus on pass-rushing, leading to an NFL-high 54 sacks, the story has been dramatically different this season. The Bills have 19 sacks, which ranks 30th in the NFL. Mario Williams and others have griped about their varied roles in the scheme, which is a close parallel to what Ryan ran with the Jets and requires defensive linemen to drop into coverage at times. Ryan has declared -- stubbornly, one might say -- multiple times that he and Thurman will "run our defense," essentially placing blame on the players for not picking up the system. The result has been a unit that has been leaky in most games. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22828/playoff-promise-among-rex-ryan-statements-that-will-likely-prove-false

2) In regards to the five years, the Bills will probably still be drafting for Ryan's defense in the next five years because that is what the NY Jets did with their first round picks in his six years there. It was also implying that Rex had six years in NY and his defense after all that time wasn't as good as his first two years there. Ryan's defense while being in the top 5 for yards a lot of those years was also 20th or so in points allowed. 2011 5th in yards, 20th in points allowed. 2012, 8th in yards, 20th in points allowed. 2013, 11th in yards, 19th in points allowed. 2014, 6th in yards, 24th in points allowed. Ryan's complaint that the GM's were out to get him fired by not allowing him the proper personnel is rather lame as I would tend to think he had a lot to say in who was drafted and signed in free agency, just like he did in his first two years.

Like I said, this wasn't a first-year head coach experimenting with different schemes to figure out what works. With Ryan's extensive defensive coaching background, he should have fielded a better defense then what we saw last year in Buffalo and yet week after week it was excuse after excuse from him. The time for excuses is over, wouldn't you agree?

The time for the Defense to shine is this year.

My opinion is the communication, not just gameday, was poor.

And during the games it become painfully obvious.

If the players pay attention and buy in, and then give Coaching the feedback they need? Bills have a good shot.

Team game.

was a bunch of individuals last year looking lost

.....and occasionally disinterested. Never saw THAT before.

Yes indeedy. I noticed the same.

Maybe they were a bit emotionally injured after Jim left.

This is not to be a smart ars.

It was mentioned enough times how much they loved playing for him. I can understand that honestly.

Hopefully they have come around to Rex's persona. And are learning to respect him. He has a ton of football knowledge and loves his players.

Beating Brady and Bellichick is surely Ryans priority. That should be something we could all agree upon?

Beating Brady and Bellichick is surely Ryans priority. That should be something we could all agree upon?

Oh, we all agree on that! Even if we don't out-score Brady, I want to see him taking a beating! Again, and again!

Oh, we all agree on that! Even if we don't out-score Brady, I want to see him taking a beating! Again, and again!

My friend, nothing less than a win, or two. or three even will suffice.Brady, no Brady , dinged up Brady.

Give me the W

Well all Buffalo Bills fans are required by law to carry air sickness bags with them at all times.

That and poop scoopers.

And that will even be enforced on private lots, apparently. Oops, I got lost.... Wrong thread....