Hard not to root for this kid: Marquis Lucas

Oh. I thought it was a Tyler Dunne story ?

I was speaking, a bit facetiously, on the NFL. But, I should probably watch how my words are perceived. As a Los Angeles resident working in the motion picture industry, I have actually worked on my fair share of reality TV, and have a bit more respect for it than most. There is a rather common misperception that the story lines in reality TV are created. They're not. The story lines create themselves, and the directors, and editors exploit those story lines. Occasionally, if the show has been poorly cast, they will have to do what they can to prod the drama out of their cast, or make mountains out of mole hills.

The off-field side to the reporting, and the NFL's "feel good" stories are not unlike this. Lucas' story line is pretty amazing all by itself. But, as we've seen from time to time, on a slow news cycle, the pundits will do what they can to gin up human interest, and as Jerky very cynically pointed out, anyone in the NFL can be turned into a human interest story. (Really, anyone in the world can. IMO, everyone has a story to tell.)

And, why not? As I mentioned above some fans are only interested in what happens on the field, but not me. Personally, I like to know what the players are like as people. I root for them, and I love it when I can feel proud of who my team is.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Really?

Just growing up and playing football, regardless of background, does not make for a feel good story. Why don't you try living as this kid did for a month and then come back and tell me that his circumstances were not especially challenging.

Yeah, I'll just give you that one. A month? I wouldn't want a single day!

I was speaking, a bit facetiously, on the NFL. But, I should probably watch how my words are perceived. As a Los Angeles resident working in the motion picture industry, I have actually worked on my fair share of reality TV, and have a bit more respect for it than most. There is a rather common misperception that the story lines in reality TV are created. They're not. The story lines create themselves, and the directors, and editors exploit those story lines. Occasionally, if the show has been poorly cast, they will have to do what they can to prod the drama out of their cast, or make mountains out of mole hills.

The off-field side to the reporting, and the NFL's "feel good" stories are not unlike this. Lucas' story line is pretty amazing all by itself. But, as we've seen from time to time, on a slow news cycle, the pundits will do what they can to gin up human interest, and as Jerky very cynically pointed out, anyone in the NFL can be turned into a human interest story. (Really, anyone in the world can. IMO, everyone has a story to tell.)

And, why not? As I mentioned above some fans are only interested in what happens on the field, but not me. Personally, I like to know what the players are like as people. I root for them, and I love it when I can feel proud of who my team is.

Thanks you for taking the time to write this Rocky!!

I suspected facetiousness !

Its not just players i care about. Its people. Those that overcome struggles inspire. When these are brought to light, i might tend to take a leaning.

Sure writers and directors color the canvas. But a person such as you can read between the lines if need be. So many folks have a story. Often times you never hear it. Thats why i have issue with judging others

Really?

Just growing up and playing football, regardless of background, does not make for a feel good story. Why don't you try living as this kid did for a month and then come back and tell me that his circumstances were not especially challenging.

well said.

And thank you for recognizing that there is often more to the Man/ Woman than first meets the eye.

• 2 weeks later...

First, Ty Dunne is killing it with these kinds of stories. He's a very talented writer. BN better take care of him.

Second, I didn't even know this kid was on the team. What a story. Glad he and Miller bonded. Sometimes it's about more than football. Hope Lucas makes it somewhere - anywhere.

They may be 'human interest' stories rather than hard journalism but I like this stuff. Dunne is helping us get to know the guys on the roster better than ever before.

At least we learn new things from Dunne. I don't recall ever learning anything new from Sully. All you get from him is his negative slant on things already publicly known.

• 3 weeks later...