Saw Dead & Company last night in Camden NJ

The Poojer

absolutely beautiful day for a show, hot, but no humidity, plenty of ice cold beers. Place was packed and they sounded awesome. John Mayer is just tearing it up, and better yet, he was wearing jorts :lol: . Hopefully some of y'all are planning on catching them on the summer tour, they are really opening up the catalog with some nice songs. Standing on the Moon is one of my favorite Dead songs, especially when Brent Mydland did it, but man did Mayer do a nice job on it last night, it was a very nice philly tribute.

Set: 1:

Bertha - John Mayer lead vocals
Shakedown Street
West L.A. Fadeaway - John Mayer lead vocals
Row Jimmy - John Mayer lead vocals
Crazy Fingers
Big Railroad Blues - John Mayer lead vocals
Set: 2:
Playing in the Band
The Wheel > Eyes of the World
Standing on the Moon - John Mayer lead vocals
Let It Grow
Drums > Space > All Along the Watchtower
Morning Dew
Not Fade Away
Encore:
Ripple

they are really killing it so far on the summer tour. hell, even Drums>Space is something to look forward to. Bobby seems to have found a new source of energy. Jeff C is a really nice addition to the lineup, he has such a nice piano sound, so glad they chose him over Bruce Hornsby(nothing at all against Bruce). Oteil keeps looming larger each show, hell, he even got to sing in Cincy this past weekend. All in all, a nice revival of a great band and some excellent music. Can't wait to hear your Portland story

Portland next month...thanks for the review Pooj--can't wait.

Pooj - thanks for the review. Will be seeing them Thurs night at Jiffy Lube in Bristow VA and then Sat night at Citi Field after catching the Yankees-Twins game in the Bronx. Really looking forward to it now.

...........How long was a 14 song concert?

Three days :)

Honestly though, I still think it's douchey for Bobby & Co to launch this tour within a year of the last, final, eternal, forever, goodbye tour of the remaining Dead. Good for Phil to sit this one out.

Edited by GG

i think they all knew that Phil didn't want to/couldn't handle a full tour schedule with his cancer. they wanted to do something for the 50th with the 'core 4', but the others wanted to keep the band going, phil and john mayer played together at terrapin crossroads and phil probably told bobby & company that this was their guy and the rest is history. Phil i think is loving life playing with his kids at crossroads and doing select capitol theater shows.

Three days :)

Honestly though, I still think it's douchey for Bobby & Co to launch this tour within a year of the last, final, eternal, forever, goodbye tour of the remaining Dead. Good for Phil to sit this one out.

i think they all knew that Phil didn't want to/couldn't handle a full tour schedule with his cancer. they wanted to do something for the 50th with the 'core 4', but the others wanted to keep the band going, phil and john mayer played together at terrapin crossroads and phil probably told bobby & company that this was their guy and the rest is history. Phil i think is loving life playing with his kids at crossroads and doing select capitol theater shows.

Of course they wanted to keep the band going with tickets being scalped well north of $1k. Nothing wrong with keeping an eye on profits.

But I wonder what deadheads would think of a corporation that announced a once in a lifetime limited product, only to come out with a nearly exact version a year later?

i made the trek to Chicago and saw an incredible show with the core 4 and Trey, now I have seen the current line-up twice in the last 7 months and they are awesome. I do not feel cheated in any way, i am just happy to have the music carry on for new and old fans. after all, the experience is less about the guys on stage as it is those in attendance and the vibe of the crowd, it's a great time!

Of course they wanted to keep the band going with tickets being scalped well north of $1k. Nothing wrong with keeping an eye on profits.

But I wonder what deadheads would think of a corporation that announced a once in a lifetime limited product, only to come out with a nearly exact version a year later?

i made the trek to Chicago and saw an incredible show with the core 4 and Trey, now I have seen the current line-up twice in the last 7 months and they are awesome. I do not feel cheated in any way, i am just happy to have the music carry on for new and old fans. after all, the experience is less about the guys on stage as it is those in attendance and the vibe of the crowd, it's a great time!

Did you pay the $1000 or so a ticket that they GG refers to?

Good God - 15 minutes per song in the first set, a half hour intermission and then almost 19 minutes a song for the 2nd set............I don't think I'll be getting into jam bands anytime soon.

oh goodness no, we paid 150 per plus stupid fees. Jam bands aren't for everyone, i get it, but it allows for a lot of fun with the audience during the long jams

Good God - 15 minutes per song in the first set, a half hour intermission and then almost 19 minutes a song for the 2nd set............I don't think I'll be getting into jam bands anytime soon.

keep in mind, 3 of the 6 members are in their 70's, plus it's kinda always been that way, relatively short 1st set, then extended long second set. And the instrumentalists get an extra half hour break as Mickey and Billy do Drums>Space, it's the expected structure of a dead show. funny to say structure and dead show in the same sentence, but for as much jamming as they do, it is very structured

My one and only Dead show was their last with Jerry at Soldier Field. Honestly, I only remember the tailgate...and that is very fuzzy.

I sure would like to see them in the current configuration. They coming to Dallas or KC or anywhere near Tulsa?

I just looked it up. That was not Jerry's last gig in Chicago. I saw them in 94 with Traffic, a year earlier.

Memories starting to surface...dear Mr Fantasy...

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

I'm so jealous to hear this.

There's nothing like a Dead show.

I've seen them many times... Rochester x2, Buffalo x5, Denver x2, and Portland. (Portland being the only bad experience, just because the crowd had a really bad/drugged up vibe.)

Now, living in New Zealand, I know that I'll never see them again.

Enjoy 'em while you still have 'em!

oh goodness no, we paid 150 per plus stupid fees. Jam bands aren't for everyone, i get it, but it allows for a lot of fun with the audience during the long jams

keep in mind, 3 of the 6 members are in their 70's, plus it's kinda always been that way, relatively short 1st set, then extended long second set. And the instrumentalists get an extra half hour break as Mickey and Billy do Drums>Space, it's the expected structure of a dead show. funny to say structure and dead show in the same sentence, but for as much jamming as they do, it is very structured

I was going to say probably those that paid the $1000 were pissed. But, the only people that I know that throw that money at concerts don't really care about the money, anyway.

Saw them in Bristow VA last night. Mayer has injected some energy into the band & he was great. Fave last night was bluesy, rockin' Viola Lee Blues & JM kicked butt on it. Bobby sounds good & looks healthy, too.

Imo, that arena (Nissan/Jiffy Lube) is by far the worst in all of rockdom for ingress/egress. Thought I would never return but coughed up for Premier Parking. But that was a joke as well.

i'm listening to the show right now, love Candy Man, and Oteil joining the Rhythm Devils?????? what a treat

Saw them in Bristow VA last night. Mayer has injected some energy into the band & he was great. Fave last night was bluesy, rockin' Viola Lee Blues & JM kicked butt on it. Bobby sounds good & looks healthy, too.

Imo, that arena (Nissan/Jiffy Lube) is by far the worst in all of rockdom for ingress/egress. Thought I would never return but coughed up for Premier Parking. But that was a joke as well.

Edited by The Poojer

I don't know how you can beat Darien Lake. But, I was just told that the new Syracuse amp is horrible, too (although a very nice place).................Maybe most of these sheds are?