Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Here's a stat - our defensemen have collectively scored a grand total of 5 goals this season. There are currently 33 other defensemen in the league that have individually outscored our entire defense.

McCabe got hurt in the Detroit game. The bottom of the barrel is visible. I hope the last man up defenseman knows how to skate backward?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McCabe got hurt in the Detroit game. The bottom of the barrel is visible. I hope the last man up defenseman knows how to skate backward?

We're going to get a first hand look at young a Ristolainen completely burning out. The minutes he's playing are ridiculous (even aside from tonight's emergency shifts)

Edited by QCity

We're going to get a first hand look at young a Ristolainen completely burning out. The minutes he's playing are ridiculous (even aside from tonight's emergency shifts)

What other option is there? The blue line is so thin that it is invisible. McCabe is not going to make the trip to Montreal. So there is a good chance he might be out a while. Maybe Guhle on an emergency recall? I'm not particularly fond of Kulikov but his injury is putting this team in a hole that seems to get deeper.

Edited by JohnC

What other option is there? The blue line is so thin that it is invisible. McCabe is not going to make the trip to Montreal. So there is a good chance he might be out a while. Maybe Guhle on an emergency recall? I'm not particularly fond of Kulikov but his injury is putting this team in a hole that seems to get deeper.

Its almost like we have a GM that worries more about his next obnoxious one liner than having a viable plan for blue liners.

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. X3mMvLXU_200x200.jpg

SABRES (18-18-9) at CANADIENS (28-13-6)

SAT JAN 21, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 220)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 45 games
Dmitry Kulikov (lower back, Dec. 29; injured reserve) – 11 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 9 games
Josh Gorges (hip, Jan. 7) – 7 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/16: Recalled F Cal O’Reilly from Rochester (AHL); Activated F Tyler Ennis from IR
1/19: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL)
1/20: Assigned G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Jan. 24: Buffalo at Nashville, 8 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 26: Buffalo at Dallas, 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 31: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 2: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 4: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at CANADIENS
This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Canadiens this season.
Last meeting: Montreal defeated Buffalo 4-1 in Buffalo on Oct. 12, 2016
Next meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 31 in Montreal
The Sabres are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Canadiens; 6-4-0 on the road
This is the 273rd game all-time between Buffalo and Montreal; Buffalo has a 124-109-39 series record.
The Sabres are 53-70-13 at home against the Canadiens all-time.

Morning Skate: January 21, 2017 at 11:30 am – 12:30 pm at Bell Center

@BuffaloSabres

Kyle Okposo walks you through his OT-winning goal on the Lexus Postgame Show: http://bufsabres.co/nNwGSQ
1f601.png
C2qohN5WEAAAhC-.jpg

@BuffNewsVogl

Jake McCabe will not travel to Montreal. Sabres will call up a defenseman. Bylsma doesn't think it will be Guhle

@CanadiensMTL

The Canadiens scored three power play goals to help earn a 3-1 win in New Jersey. Read -> http://goha.bs/2kcks38

only saw the 3rd and OT last night, plus the first few of the post game.

Duffer had Risto at almost 35 minutes, and was on the ice for all 4 minutes plus of OT. Said a week or so ago, you can see his play starting to suffer a bit.

BTW, heard Paul Hamilton yesterday, and he wants the Sabres to play Lehner like a real #1 this year, find out if he is capable. I tend to agree with him..this season is shot, start to evaluate. And if he is not, no contract and he's gots to go!

While i am not 100% down on GMTM like 4mer, i am not sold either. Big test will be this trade deadline and offseason..if he gives big contracts to Kulikov and Lehner just because of the price he paid to get them...he gots to go too!

Edited by plenzmd1

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. X3mMvLXU_200x200.jpg

SABRES (18-18-9) at CANADIENS (28-13-6)

SAT JAN 21, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES (Man Games Lost: 220)

Player (injury, first game missed) total games missed

Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) 45 games

Dmitry Kulikov (lower back, Dec. 29; injured reserve) 11 games

Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) 9 games

Josh Gorges (hip, Jan. 7) 7 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS

1/16: Recalled F Cal OReilly from Rochester (AHL); Activated F Tyler Ennis from IR

1/19: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL)

1/20: Assigned G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES

Tuesday, Jan. 24: Buffalo at Nashville, 8 p.m.

Thursday, Jan. 26: Buffalo at Dallas, 8:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Jan. 31: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 2: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 4: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHTS GAME

SABRES at CANADIENS

This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Canadiens this season.

Last meeting: Montreal defeated Buffalo 4-1 in Buffalo on Oct. 12, 2016

Next meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 31 in Montreal

The Sabres are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Canadiens; 6-4-0 on the road

This is the 273rd game all-time between Buffalo and Montreal; Buffalo has a 124-109-39 series record.

The Sabres are 53-70-13 at home against the Canadiens all-time.

Morning Skate: January 21, 2017 at 11:30 am 12:30 pm at Bell Center

@BuffaloSabres

Kyle Okposo walks you through his OT-winning goal on the Lexus Postgame Show: http://bufsabres.co/nNwGSQ

1f601.png

C2qohN5WEAAAhC-.jpg

@BuffNewsVogl

Jake McCabe will not travel to Montreal. Sabres will call up a defenseman. Bylsma doesn't think it will be Guhle

@CanadiensMTL

The Canadiens scored three power play goals to help earn a 3-1 win in New Jersey. Read -> http://goha.bs/2kcks38

I thought the Sabres burned Guhle's one call up from Juniors?

Its almost like we have a GM that worries more about his next obnoxious one liner than having a viable plan for blue liners.

I think you are being unfair. This is a rebuilding team that started the process not long ago. Getting enough quality players to play competitively is a big enough challenge let alone being able to establish a reserve of good players. The so called abundance of talent in the farm system was used up to an extent for acquisitions. How you do think we acquired O'Reilly? We traded off some young prospects to get him. It was well worth it.

Most of us here have criticized the GM for the Lehner deal. And I felt that the trade by the crusty GM of Pysyk for Kulikov was a big mistake. So far that assessment seems accurate. But let's put things in perspective. Any GM who makes a lot of deals is not going to have all of them work out. That's the nature of making deals.

If one takes a wider perspective on this franchise no one can deny that it is climbing up the ladder. Expectations were high prior to the season, just maybe too high and unrealistic. There is still much to be done. If you think the frustration level is high for the hockey fans wait until you see how the Bills' fans react if that lumbering franchise decides to go into a full throttle rebuild.

only saw the 3rd and OT last night, plus the first few of the post game.

Duffer had Risto at almost 35 minutes, and was on the ice for all 4 minutes plus of OT. Said a week or so ago, you can see his play starting to suffer a bit.

BTW, heard Paul Hamilton yesterday, and he wants the Sabres to play Lehner like a real #1 this year, find out if he is capable. I tend to agree with him..this season is shot, start to evaluate. And if he is not, no contract and he's gots to go!

While i am not 100% down on GMTM like 4mer, i am not sold either. Big test will be this trade deadline and offseason..if he gives big contracts to Kulikov and Lehner just because of the price he paid to get them...he gots to go too!

I disagree with the rotund Hamilton whose analysis is usually fair and good. Lehner is going to have plenty of opportunities to demonstrate that he is a #1 goalie or not this season. However, if Nielsson outplays him and is more consistent then his play should be rewarded. As I said in prior posts I am not as caught up in declaring and bestowing the title of #1 goalie on any particular player. If the position is better served with split play (even if it is not an even split) then do what's best for the team.

Just because the brash talking GM gave up a lot for Lehner (too much in my estimation) that doesn't mean that the evaluation of the goalies should be automatically skewed. Compete and show your stuff! No one should be entitled to a position, especially if that particular player is being outperformed and is less durable.

In hindsight, the GM would have been better off re-signing Chad Johnson and having him paired with the cheaper Nielsson instead of giving up a first round pick. That pick could have been used on an elite prospect who would have been ready in another couple of years. (Isn't hindsight beautiful? It makes one feel brilliant.) :D

I think you are being unfair. This is a rebuilding team that started the process not long ago. Getting enough quality players to play competitively is a big enough challenge let alone being able to establish a reserve of good players. The so called abundance of talent in the farm system was used up to an extent for acquisitions. How you do think we acquired O'Reilly? We traded off some young prospects to get him. It was well worth it.

Most of us here have criticized the GM for the Lehner deal. And I felt that the trade by the crusty GM of Pysyk for Kulikov was a big mistake. So far that assessment seems accurate. But let's put things in perspective. Any GM who makes a lot of deals is not going to have all of them work out. That's the nature of making deals.

If one takes a wider perspective on this franchise no one can deny that it is climbing up the ladder. Expectations were high prior to the season, just maybe too high and unrealistic. There is still much to be done. If you think the frustration level is high for the hockey fans wait until you see how the Bills' fans react if that lumbering franchise decides to go into a full throttle rebuild.

Plus one. Wish we had kept Pysyk, but still like the trajectory of the team.

I disagree with the rotund Hamilton whose analysis is usually fair and good. Lehner is going to have plenty of opportunities to demonstrate that he is a #1 goalie or not this season. However, if Nielsson outplays him and is more consistent then his play should be rewarded. As I said in prior posts I am not as caught up in declaring and bestowing the title of #1 goalie on any particular player. If the position is better served with split play (even if it is not an even split) then do what's best for the team.

Just because the brash talking GM gave up a lot for Lehner (too much in my estimation) that doesn't mean that the evaluation of the goalies should be automatically skewed. Compete and show your stuff! No one should be entitled to a position, especially if that particular player is being outperformed and is less durable.

In hindsight, the GM would have been better off re-signing Chad Johnson and having him paired with the cheaper Nielsson instead of giving up a first round pick. That pick could have been used on an elite prospect who would have been ready in another couple of years. (Isn't hindsight beautiful? It makes one feel brilliant.) :D

One way or the other, you need to find out if one of these guys can be a true #1 ...and like it not, you paid a #1 for Lehner and he is an RFA after this season...you best find out about him now. This season has ceased being about getting into the playoffs, and it is now about evaluations and who will be helping you next year.

On my run this morning, was listening to Rob Ray from yesterday...taking about the Vanek offer sheet. I was all for matching back then too....but damn, what a mistake in hindsight. Edmonton still would have sucked, we would have had 8 #1 picks in 4 years...we prolly would have sucked too for a few years.....i cringe everytime i think about it!!!!

One way or the other, you need to find out if one of these guys can be a true #1 ...and like it not, you paid a #1 for Lehner and he is an RFA after this season...you best find out about him now. This season has ceased being about getting into the playoffs, and it is now about evaluations and who will be helping you next year.

On my run this morning, was listening to Rob Ray from yesterday...taking about the Vanek offer sheet. I was all for matching back then too....but damn, what a mistake in hindsight. Edmonton still would have sucked, we would have had 8 #1 picks in 4 years...we prolly would have sucked too for a few years.....i cringe everytime i think about it!!!!

The giant and volatile Lehner is going to have ample opportunities to demonstrate whether he is a #1 goalie or not. Tilting the scale when evaluating him because of the excessive cost is not the right approach to take. If he is a #1 goalie then his play should indicate it. Favoring him because the GM doesn't want to admit a possible mistake is the wrong course of action.

What has clearly been demonstrated so far is that there isn't much to distinguish among the play of Nielsson, Chad Johnson or the volcanic tempered and biker tattooed big man. If after this season it isn't clear that he is a #1 goalie other teams will not make a big money commitment to him. Implicit in my assessment of his value on the market or with us is that I'm not overly impressed by him. He might turn out to be a good and consistent goalie but I wouldn't anchor this team with a long term commitment for someone who also has durability issues.

The Vanek decision in some respects is similar to the TT decision for the Bills. Do you keep a player so you can struggle to be respectable or do you cut the chord and go all in to building a stronger foundation to compete for something meaningful in the future? This comes down to the fundamental question of what is your goal? This type of decision calls for a lot of fortitude and bravery to pursue the bigger goal over the more immediate lesser goal.

Unfair?

The rebuild has been going on for how many years now? And THIS was supposed to be a playoff year. Instead they are certainly among the worst teams in hockey and possibly the worst. Reading this thread, even including things you have written. they are not 1 or 2 players away....they need major improvements in about 8-10 spots.....to sniff the 8 seed. And the GM is somehow good?

I'm not one of those people all bent out of shape by the #1 on Lehner. Sometimes you trade a #1. But any trade for Lehner was a win for the Senators.....and our GM has Senators roots....perhaps a payback of some sort?. Lehner is a terrible goalie who is also psychotic. Every GM makes mistakes, but to seek out a player like Lehner indicates that there are many more mistakes to come. And they have come. And we are 8-10 players away from sniffing an 8 seed. And people think we are on a Cup trajectory? Someone needs to explain that trajectory step by step ending with the Cup being lifted because it makes no sense. You could sooner convince me that Rex Ryan will take up golf and win the British Open.

Murray was handed an ideal situation and he has burned it to the ground. I wonder if Eichel saw what a loser this guy is and basically told Vesey to look elsewhere. If we were on such a great trajectory wouldn't Eichel have been banging on that kids door? Or maybe Eichel wants out, Not one player appears to care every time they are on the ice other than maybe Risto who is having his long term viability jeopardized by Murray's ineptitude.

I'll tell you what is unfair. Murray screwing up over and over and still talking down to everyone. That's unfair.

John, you can not find out if a guy is a number 1 by splitting time. If you want a guy who can go 62-68 games, gotta give one of these guys 3/4 of the starts and see how it falls out. Ya got a first in Lehner, a GM who made that investment...he is the guy from here on out that needs to get the majority of starts.

Or, you can make the decision today to move on and give Nillson the 3/4..i am okay with that as well. Don't think it will happen, but be fine if it did.

Only losing plan is to continue to split starts....and end without an an answer on either.

As an aside, both Hamilton and Rob Ray yesterday were very critical of some of the players in terms of attitude. Both said something to the effect "these guys hit tough times, they turtle and don't talk and get attitudes and are just general, overall arseholes"

Any one with a clue who they might be referencing?

Edited by plenzmd1

John, you can not find out if a guy is a number 1 by splitting time. If you want a guy who can go 62-68 games, gotta give one of these guys 3/4 of the starts and see how it falls out. Ya got a first in Lehner, a GM who made that investment...he is the guy from here on out that needs to get the majority of starts.

Or, you can make the decision today to move on and give Nillson the 3/4..i am okay with that as well. Don't think it will happen, but be fine if it did.

Only losing plan is to continue to split starts....and end without an an answer on either.

To me it is Nilsson for now and find your #1 later. Like I said earlier in the thread, Lehner seems more likely to murder three people in a fit of rage than to become a #1goalie. And if he somehow does both, we'll have to cut him anyway.