OT: Hunter S. Thompson

nodnarb

:D

i'm sad and i'm speechless.

holy f---ing sh--.

i hav a pile of his books on my shelf and i guess after having read them all you'd have to say that if anyone would do it...

still it's a huge slap in the nuts.  just awful..

247085[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with you more. Huge loss...

Anyone see his last column on shotgun golf?

I'm stunned and sad. As scary as this sounds, HST and his freewheeling style were a big influence on me in my "days". As a matter of fact many of my friends called me by the Nickname "Laslo", as I was in law school and carried around a plastic doctor bag full of goodies at times.

I can't imagine that Hunter would have made an exit like this without leaving behind a note. When it shows up I'm sure it will live up to him.

RIP Hunter. :D

Sh--!!!

He was the kind of guy that made you feel like the world was a more interesting place just knowing that he was still doing his own thing. HST was a true throwback to a different time.

It was just last week that I chose Thompson (in a thread on The Stadium Wall) as the person that I would most like to sit next to (and drink with) on a long plane ride.

Many of us are born with our literary heroes pre-deceased...Hemingway, Toole, Kesey, Huxley, Kerouac. My literary hero died 02/21/05.

RIP Hunter

PS - Nodnarb, you introduced me to John Kennedy Toole and Fred Exley and for that I am thankful.

As you may or may not have known, Thompson was still writing columns for ESPN.com's Page 2. His last one was on 2/15/05 and it involved a late-night phone call to Bill Murray about a concept called "Shotgun Golf". The whole call is transcribed and it's definitely an interesting read...to me it sounds as if Murray is just humoring Hunter.

But read for yourself: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1992213

another over hyped "poor tortured misunderstood soul" chickens out. thanks for making room for someone who matters! :D

Wow. You have to think he was terminally ill or something. or maybe all that acid finally sent him 'round the bend.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...2723492,00.html

247077[/snapback]

another over hyped "poor tortured misunderstood soul" chickens out.  thanks for making room for someone who matters! :D

247465[/snapback]

I agree that suicide is a coward's route, but it is sad that so many of our most creative people are mentally ill to the point that they feel they have to take such extremes. I use to often wish I had talent like Dr. Thompson, but I wouldn't ever want what seemingly comes with it.

I read "Shotgun Golf". If that was what Hunter Thompson's Brain Cells were left to conjure up, it was time.

I enjoyed Hunter during the late 60's and 70's, but he got to be a huge pain in the ass during the the last 20 years. I had two poet friends who were about the same age, and offed themselves when drugs and dissapation finally took their toll. One called me from a mental institution, and when our babysitter wouldn't take the collect call, went to the roof and jumped.

Life is not fair, it just is, and at least Hunter had his 15 minutes, although the last 5 minutes were hard to bear for some of us.

The irony of that sigline is palpable.  Dude shoots himself in the head and using illicit substances worked for him?  Uh, OK.

247471[/snapback]

Well... yeah...

Still, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and presume he was facing a terminal illness or Alzheimer's, and that he was perfectly lucid when he made the decision to do what he did.

Unless you mean that the use of such substances eventually led to the terminal condition, in which case I'll grant you that it didn't work for him as well as he thought.

'Course, there's always the possibility he meant it as a JOKE.