It's May 24, do you know where your right tackle is?

Is the head coach supposed to talk to coordinators and assistants or is he above that?

As has been pointed out in this thread, there is a lot going on with Henderson. Wouldn't that spur a little curiosity in the HC, even if it was thought the kid can't play? Wouldn't he say to the press: "I spoke with Kromer and he said...." or at least "I'll have to check with Kromer....".

I thought I had read some positive news on Henderson's Cron's prognosis in the off season but maybe I am wrong. Either way, it sounds similar to the way Rex treated Brown while setting him up as a scapegoat/excuse.

It's not that Rex is a bad dude, it is just that he seems incapable of doing more managing more than a couple of things at one time and an NFL head coach needs to handle a lot.

Still waiting for your pick

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the head coach supposed to talk to coordinators and assistants or is he above that?

As has been pointed out in this thread, there is a lot going on with Henderson. Wouldn't that spur a little curiosity in the HC, even if it was thought the kid can't play? Wouldn't he say to the press: "I spoke with Kromer and he said...." or at least "I'll have to check with Kromer....".

I thought I had read some positive news on Henderson's Cron's prognosis in the off season but maybe I am wrong. Either way, it sounds similar to the way Rex treated Brown while setting him up as a scapegoat/excuse.

It's not that Rex is a bad dude, it is just that he seems incapable of doing more managing more than a couple of things at one time and an NFL head coach needs to handle a lot.

John, this is a fair point.

My guess is that Rex has spoken to Kromer and/or the medical staff about Henderson. But that's not what he was asked. He was asked if he had personally spoken to Henderson and he answered to the negative. It might be that Rex doesn't really want to address the issue and didn't volunteer what Kromer and/or the medical staff told him.

Since we don't really know what's going on behind the scenes, I suspend judgment. I expect a coach to be honest. I don't expect him to be fully forthcoming and transparent. For the good of the team, there are things that ought not be shared with the media.

My guess is that Rex has spoken to Kromer and/or the medical staff about Henderson. But that's not what he was asked. He was asked if he had personally spoken to Henderson and he answered to the negative. It might be that Rex doesn't really want to address the issue and didn't volunteer what Kromer and/or the medical staff told him.

Since we don't really know what's going on behind the scenes, I suspend judgment. I expect a coach to be honest. I don't expect him to be fully forthcoming and transparent. For the good of the team, there are things that ought not be shared with the media.

It is a fair point and as you said - we just don't know who else might be in communication. If little or no communication has been had - wouldn't it also be fair to put some of that on Henderson? Like, hey coaches just wanted to let you all know I'm doing better - I'm in shape and ready to play for your team.

Oh im not saying it isnt a fair point....the poster I replied to has been bagging RR in every possible way and I am asking him for who he wanted for his first round pick since Shaq Lawson was SUCH the wrong pick and for that loser RR

On Henderson? I feel like medical privacy comes into play here.....rememeber when Glenn was having the kidney issue but nobody was discussing it at OBD even when asked? I feel this is a lot of the same thing. Whaley is probably talking to people but not directly to Seantrel.

I really feel we are not done picking off the trashheap when it comes to OT....its interesting that they had Barnes (our only true NT) taking snaps at OT.......

Jordan Mills has started in this league and wasn't even that bad last year. He's an above average backup at worst. The left side of our line is as good as any in football. At no point last year, as I watched every snap, did I feel like either side of the offensive line was a major issue. Can the Bills generate a pass rush? Can Tyrod Taylor take another step forward? Can Sammy Watkins stay healthy? These are actual issues. Please everyone, stop trying to create this offensive line issue. There is none. They'll be fine. They have one of the better lines in the whole league. With the possible exception of the Cowboys, no one has five awesome starters on their OL. Every team has a Jordan Mills starting. Just let it go people.

Jordan Mills reminds me of another Bears castoff on the Bills, Mike Gandy. The kind of player that's a halfway-decent addition when you're desperate during the season, but immediately try to upgrade on once the season is over.

GO KUJO!

Edited by Rico

We led the league in rushing last year

Are they really that bad?

I have listened to you B word about that 1st round pick for what seems like an eternity now

Have you given who you would rather have yet?

You're really all over the place here so I'll go one by one.

I do not totally concur with the consensus on the right side of the line, but I have observed that many on this board have concerns and I pointed that out.

Please point out where I complained about the pick. I think Lawson will be a good player. The only complaint I have is that Rex's ineptitude painted us into the corner of needing the pick to be Lawson. That is not a complaint about Lawson, it is a complaint about Rex. If you find something where I said I think Lawson will be a bad player, please link it. Hint: Don't waste your time looking because it isn't there.

Realistically Lawson was the right pick because he is Rex's best last ditch effort at success. But I do think Lawson will do well under the next coach, so it is ok. Ragland OTOH is a bigger question mark. He is a self described throwback who probably only fits in an old fashioned defense like Rex's which is no longer in productive NFL use. I think he would have lasted until our third pick...certainly our second without the trade. Still, I think the trade value because we did not give up a ton. I would have rather taken Reed who would be useful in a new coach's defense.

I do not totally concur with the consensus on the right side of the line, but I have observed that many on this board have concerns and I pointed that out.

Please point out where I complained about the pick. I think Lawson will be a good player. The only complaint I have is that Rex's ineptitude painted us into the corner of needing the pick to be Lawson. That is not a complaint about Lawson, it is a complaint about Rex. If you find something where I said I think Lawson will be a bad player, please link it. Hint: Don't waste your time looking because it isn't there.

Realistically Lawson was the right pick because he is Rex's best last ditch effort at success. But I do think Lawson will do well under the next coach, so it is ok. Ragland OTOH is a bigger question mark. He is a self described throwback who probably only fits in an old fashioned defense like Rex's which is no longer in productive NFL use. I think he would have lasted until our third pick...certainly our second without the trade. Still, I think the trade value because we did not give up a ton. I would have rather taken Reed who would be useful in a new coach's defense.

So you did not say that we took Lawson because of RR's familiarity with him being a player from Clemson and used it as a way to bash RR

You did not do that?

This is a fine post.

So you did not say that we took Lawson because of RR's familiarity with him being a player from Clemson and used it as a way to bash RR

You did not do that?

Not exactly. I pointed out that half of the Bills interviews at the combine were from a school that Rex's kid attends. It may have limited Rex's ability to see clearly, if he ever had one, but it does not mean in any way that Lawson is a bad player. If you read it that way I don't know what to tell you. Did we really look into all the facts or just comply with Rex stomping his feet for Lawson?

This is a fine post.

You could read it that way and wish that Rex is really well informed and hope that he is being coy and measured with what he says. That's one way to go.

Henderson needs to focus on dealing with the intestinal disease. Football is probably no longer an option for him. Jordan Mills or Cyrus Kouandijo do not inspire optimism. Rookies Lucas and Lumpkins are long shots. Looks like this is still a hole. The rest of the line is capable.

The medical staff briefed the coaches last season. Nothing has changed with Henderson. If you know anyone with this illness, you know it is brutal. Rex not talking to him since season's end does not bother me. I think they already know that he was not going to play this season. Jordan Mills was signed for that reason.

So this is a brutal disease? lets say it is, because yes i do know folks with it and yes it can be.

So why is Rex , a players Coach not checking in with the Kid and being supportive ?

He has, and he knows enough. Hendy is his potential starting or up RT.

This is how Rex talks folks. he hates the media. watch his last presser, he was about boiling over.

Also regarding Ragland

I dont think there is a snowballs chance in HE double toothpicks that he lasts till the 3rd round......He was one of the top 4 LB's of this draft and one of them was way overdrafted....the others had injury concerns.

I want to know why every time someone uses the word "throwback" it is auto used like some sort of cuss word for a player.....for those of us that remember guys like Chris Spielman.....we LOVED those players.....they elevated the play of the guys around them because they themselves just knock the stuffing out of people.....enforcers....sure tacklers.......guys that can stack and shed so that DL in front of them can actually get after a passer.

What I want to see from Ragland is if he can maintain his proper weight to keep his under rated sideline to sideline ability going at the NFL level.....I want to see if they can move him into a pass rush position like they did in college to keep him on the field in 3rd down.....he is rook so he's gotta prove it...but....this was the SEC defensive player of the year. We are not talking about a scrub college layer here.

Not exactly. I pointed out that half of the Bills interviews at the combine were from a school that Rex's kid attends. It may have limited Rex's ability to see clearly, if he ever had one, but it does not mean in any way that Lawson is a bad player. If you read it that way I don't know what to tell you. Did we really look into all the facts or just comply with Rex stomping his feet for Lawson?

You could read it that way and wish that Rex is really well informed and hope that he is being coy and measured with what he says. That's one way to go.

I find it interesting that you take a instance where Rex took a player that you think is actually going to be good....but you found a (tried to) twist it into a negative.

I mean.....I gotta hand it to you.....that takes scones

Also regarding Ragland

I dont think there is a snowballs chance in HE double toothpicks that he lasts till the 3rd round......He was one of the top 4 LB's of this draft and one of them was way overdrafted....the others had injury concerns.

I want to know why every time someone uses the word "throwback" it is auto used like some sort of cuss word for a player.....for those of us that remember guys like Chris Spielman.....we LOVED those players.....they elevated the play of the guys around them because they themselves just knock the stuffing out of people.....enforcers....sure tacklers.......guys that can stack and shed so that DL in front of them can actually get after a passer.

What I want to see from Ragland is if he can maintain his proper weight to keep his under rated sideline to sideline ability going at the NFL level.....I want to see if they can move him into a pass rush position like they did in college to keep him on the field in 3rd down.....he is rook so he's gotta prove it...but....this was the SEC defensive player of the year. We are not talking about a scrub college layer here.

I find it interesting that you take a instance where Rex took a player that you think is actually going to be good....but you found a (tried to) twist it into a negative.

I mean.....I gotta hand it to you.....that takes scones

I agree that those players you mentioned were AWESOME and Ragland will play just like them. But he is called a throw back because this defense will need a time machine to work. The players today will outrun Ragland and would have outrun Spielman if he was born the same year as Ragland. That's is why Ragland lasted so long in the draft despite being projected to go much sooner. Most coaches don't want to run a system that no longer works and/or make adjustments to their base. Those changes led to all of those teams passing on him while all the pundits wondered why. There were TWO guys with massive injuries and super high risk that went ahead of him because although DAL and JAX aren't sure if they will even play, they think Ragland does not fit the 2016 NFL. Maybe they're wrong.

I agree that those players you mentioned were AWESOME and Ragland will play just like them. But he is called a throw back because this defense will need a time machine to work. The players today will outrun Ragland and would have outrun Spielman if he was born the same year as Ragland. That's is why Ragland lasted so long in the draft despite being projected to go much sooner. Most coaches don't want to run a system that no longer works and/or make adjustments to their base. Those changes led to all of those teams passing on him while all the pundits wondered why. There were TWO guys with massive injuries and super high risk that went ahead of him because although DAL and JAX aren't sure if they will even play, they think Ragland does not fit the 2016 NFL. Maybe they're wrong.

Ragland dropped because of his medical in my opinion

Whey do you continue to insist that Reggie Ragland is a slow player? He isnt slow at all......is he Zach Brown fast? No.....he is a monster hitter with excellent football instincts who moves well in short zones and tracks defenders well sideline to sideline.

If your gonna tell your down linemen to go after the qb you need a guy like this behind them that has the physical size and mentality to stack and shed blockers.

Throwback does not have to mean slow.....its a mentality

I did read it the way i wrote.

Rex has his quirks and limitations for sure. I just think Hondo is pretty close the overall reality . i don't think Rex is measured, but he tries to be coy.

What makes you think i am wishing for something ?

Huh?

Did you mean: If you're going to tell your down linemen to avoid the qb.......

Did you ever stop to think that maybe last years scheme was biult to make sure the run did not get up into our LB's because that was a weak part of the defense?

If these guys run the 5-2 I guarantee you it is meant to allow DL to get into the backfield (with Ragland patrolling behind them)

Huh?

Did you mean: If you're going to tell your down linemen to avoid the qb.......

and btw all i said was Hondo had a fine post. Thats was all i said and you have sketched my portrait already.

Quick work.

My ears are a bit pointier though