2016 NFL Draft--The "What Would You Have Done?" Thread

Here's the question... John Elway and his scouting dept felt good enough about Lynch to trade up for him... We could have drafted Lynch ourselves and still gotten Ragland and all the rest of our picks thereafter presumably... Are we gonna be watching this kid for the next 10yrs while we miss the playoffs again and again? Most franchise QB's are taken in the 1st round... Aside from Manuel when have the Bills ever TRIED drafting a QB early? I don't know if Tyrod is the answer or not... Time will tell....

Lynch fits Kubiak's system, so he's probably gonna be serviceable at some point. Don't come back with I-told-you-so's after his first game, though.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. OLB/DE Shaq Lawson

2. RT Jason Spriggs

3. QB Connor Cook

4. DT/DE Matt Ioannidas

5. WR Moritz Boehringer

6. FS Jalen Mills

6. ILB Scooby Wright

Drafted Connor Cook when he was there in the 3rd round. Big mistake.

:thumbsup:

although with Carr starting it may be a while before he gets on the field.

So let me caveat this by saying that I don't know what Jack's medical report said, but I am presuming by all 32 passing on him that it was serious enough to create some genuine doubt about his long term future. If you feel good about Jack he is the pick, no question. So on that basis:

#19 - Shaq Lawson - Edge/Clemson (no change);

#41 - Reggie Ragland - LB/Alabama (no change);

#80 - Connor Cook - QB/Michigan State;

#139 - Kyle Murphy - OT/Stanford;

#156 - DJ Reader - DT/Clemson;

#192 - Jeremy Cash - S/Duke;

#218 - Robby Anderson - WR/Temple;

:thumbsup:

Still not a Ragland fan but hope he does well

Here’s what I was thinking as the Draft unfolded and based on my perception of our needs: QB backup, WR starting, OT ® or OG, ILB (w/ pass coverage skills) … I didn’t see DE/OLB as such the tremendous need that the team did. Everyone talks about how great Ryan’s D mind is, well then he should have been able to make due on the edge with Lawson, Hughes, and Dareus who’s supposed to be playing DE in the 3-4, which makes no sense. Before the Draft there were players on the roster that logged 35 sacks in 2014 under Schwartz, if the "defensive genius" Ryan couldn't get that from them then he's a phony. Either way, the middle of our LB-ing corp was, and still is, bereft of pass D skills.

To start, I wouldn’t have traded our 4th pick (117) or traded up at all in this relatively deep draft, there should have been no need to. I may have traded down.

1/19: Treadwell: Would have instantly upgraded our passing game and perhaps he would have even outshone Watkins this fall. All of the appropriate WRs for us all went just picks afterwards except for Fuller who we had no chance at in round 2.

2/49: Cody Whitehair (OG): Would have all but instantly made the OL from LT to RG solid and increased the odds of solid play from one of our RTs.

3/80: Prescott, he'll be the best QB in this draft after Goff.

4/117: Kentrell Brothers (ILB) Better pass D skills than Ragland

Also, undrafted Scooby Wright, ILB from Arizona, would have been a fantastic 6th round pick.

IMO that Draft would have added to wins and buffered our QB/WR situations as well while bolstering the OL.

Scooby was drafted by the Browns

Here's the question... John Elway and his scouting dept felt good enough about Lynch to trade up for him... We could have drafted Lynch ourselves and still gotten Ragland and all the rest of our picks thereafter presumably... Are we gonna be watching this kid for the next 10yrs while we miss the playoffs again and again? Most franchise QB's are taken in the 1st round... Aside from Manuel when have the Bills ever TRIED drafting a QB early? I don't know if Tyrod is the answer or not... Time will tell....

Here is an answer.... the Broncos called the Bills abour our Quarterback before they decided to use the draft and take Lynch. Does that tell you who Elway and his scouting staff felt had the bigger chance?

Doing your "due diligence" about the availability of QB's tells you little to nothing about any particular QB... If Elway thought the Bills were interested in Lynch (as was reported that the Bills wined and dined Lynch) he would naturally have been interested in Tyrod's availability... And about finding out whatever he might about how deep our interest in Lynch was as well...

Doing your "due diligence" about the availability of QB's tells you little to nothing about any particular QB... If Elway thought the Bills were interested in Lynch (as was reported that the Bills wined and dined Lynch) he would naturally have been interested in Tyrod's availability... And about finding out whatever he might about how deep our interest in Lynch was as well...

Elway, Kubiak and those Broncos tried to sign Tyrod as a FA last offseason as well and offered him more money than Buffalo. He signed for us because he felt he had a better chance to start. Whilst I have no way of proving it definitively I think all the evidence suggests that the Broncos like Tyrod a lot.... and it seems pretty clear to me that they'd have preferred him to any of the rookies they thought would be there for them at the end of the first round.

Rd1 (19) - Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson (Unchanged)

Rd2 (41) - Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama (Unchanged)

Rd3 (80) - Braxton Miller, WR, OSU/Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina - If pushed I'd take Braxton here, but I could make an argument for either.

Rd4 (139) - Cardale Jones, QB, OSU (Unchanged)

Rd5 (156) - D.J. Reader, NT, Clemson

Rd6 (192) - Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford

Rd6 (218) - Jalen Mills, S, LSU

I like this

Here’s what I was thinking as the Draft unfolded and based on my perception of our needs: QB backup, WR starting, OT ® or OG, ILB (w/ pass coverage skills) … I didn’t see DE/OLB as such the tremendous need that the team did. Everyone talks about how great Ryan’s D mind is, well then he should have been able to make due on the edge with Lawson, Hughes, and Dareus who’s supposed to be playing DE in the 3-4, which makes no sense. Before the Draft there were players on the roster that logged 35 sacks in 2014 under Schwartz, if the "defensive genius" Ryan couldn't get that from them then he's a phony. Either way, the middle of our LB-ing corp was, and still is, bereft of pass D skills.

To start, I wouldn’t have traded our 4th pick (117) or traded up at all in this relatively deep draft, there should have been no need to. I may have traded down.

1/19: Treadwell: Would have instantly upgraded our passing game and perhaps he would have even outshone Watkins this fall. All of the appropriate WRs for us all went just picks afterwards except for Fuller who we had no chance at in round 2.

2/49: Cody Whitehair (OG): Would have all but instantly made the OL from LT to RG solid and increased the odds of solid play from one of our RTs.

3/80: Prescott, he'll be the best QB in this draft after Goff.

4/117: Kentrell Brothers (ILB) Better pass D skills than Ragland

Also, undrafted Scooby Wright, ILB from Arizona, would have been a fantastic 6th round pick.

IMO that Draft would have added to wins and buffered our QB/WR situations as well while bolstering the OL.

Taskers,

I'm sure you're right about the impact of your draft on OL & WR. I have no opinion on college QB 'cuz I don't know enough. How would this draft have helped our D, specifically our glaring holes at LB and DE?

Brothers may make it in the NFL - he's got the fire in his tummy, and some analysts had him going in the 2nd round. Guess who they had going in the 1st? Mizzou is the one program I know a little about because of proximity. I thought Chase Daniel was a better QB than Blaine Gabbert but, that size thing, and the NFL scouts just wouldn't listen to me. :rolleyes: Mizzou guys seem to have trouble translating to the NFL (see fellow undersized, slow SEC honors player Sam, Michael). Brothers is small for an NFL LB at 6' and most people seem to feel he needs to really work on his pass D skills and that 4.89 40 time and those short arms won't help. I think that's a reason why he went in the 5th round. Draft scout had Brothers rated #2 out of 182 LB. Guess who they rated #1? B-) Ragland isn't a track star, but he is faster.

We could not have picked up Scooby Wright undrafted. He was drafted by the Browns in the 7th round.

I think it's easy to sit there and call Whaley names from an "All Offense" perspective. It becomes harder when one actually has to balance both sides of the ball.

19 - Shaq - Edge/Clemson

41 - Ragland - ILB/Alabama

80 - Braxton Miller - WR/Ohio State

139 - Cardale - QB/Ohio State

156 - DJ Reader - DT/Clemson

192 - Kyle Murphy - OT/Stanford

218 - Ka'imi Fairbairn - K/UCLA

I like this too. It balances both sides a bit better. Might take a safety in the 7th though can't beef at a kicker.

So let me caveat this by saying that I don't know what Jack's medical report said, but I am presuming by all 32 passing on him that it was serious enough to create some genuine doubt about his long term future. If you feel good about Jack he is the pick, no question. So on that basis:

#19 - Shaq Lawson - Edge/Clemson (no change);

#41 - Reggie Ragland - LB/Alabama (no change);

#80 - Connor Cook - QB/Michigan State;

#139 - Kyle Murphy - OT/Stanford;

#156 - DJ Reader - DT/Clemson;

#192 - Jeremy Cash - S/Duke;

#218 - Robby Anderson - WR/Temple;

I like this too

I agreed with our first 2 picks but was screaming (not literally) for Cook at 80. In hindsight I feel the Bills probably did a better job than I would have. In Whaley I trust, however Rex may have been a big mistake - we will find out soon. Go Bills!!!!!!