Why The Bills Should Draft Offense

Chilly

I've seen reports stating this is a horrible class for WR's. So hopefully we don't spend our 19th on a WR. I feel LB, RT, DL are much bigger needs. I wouldn't hate Treadwell being the pick, but it will depend on what is still on the board at 19.

Also didn't we recently spend our #1 on a QB in a horrible QB class. Why repeat that move?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick 19 should be best player available at a position of need. WR, RT, OLB/pass rusher, DT, or NT would all make fine selections at pick 19. WR and OLB/Pass Rusher would be the best picks position wise. But whatever player the Bills take at pick 19 they need to make sure that the player they get makes an impact right away. The Bills need to find 2 starters in this draft along with another contributor. So I have no issue with the Bills taking a WR at pick 19 if they manage to get one of the better receivers in the draft.

I think the Bills scoop up a MLB in round 3 to pair with Brown or add depth, which would leave the first two rounds open to take the best players available at several positions of need. And then use the 4th and 5th round picks to sure up some depth along the roster.

I've seen reports stating this is a horrible class for WR's. So hopefully we don't spend our 19th on a WR. I feel LB, RT, DL are much bigger needs. I wouldn't hate Treadwell being the pick, but it will depend on what is still on the board at 19.

Also didn't we recently spend our #1 on a QB in a horrible QB class. Why repeat that move?

imo it's only "horrible" if you need a #1 WR. There aren't any elite guys in this class. Any of the WRs in this class at 19 is too high. If they can trade down and get an extra 2nd and 3rd or something and then take him at say 30, that's fine. I don't care which round they take the WR as long as they get a good one and they don't reach.

Best case scenario is they can move Woods to the slot and upgrade at WR 2 in this draft. 2nd-3rd round is going to be where the run on WRs takes place IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It really depends on where Roman's line of thinking is.....

They might very well think

- We have a bonafied number 1

- We are totally happy with our number 2.....who also provides excellent blocking

- All of our RB's can catch

- We brought in SEVERAL wide receivers in the latter part of last offseason.....3 of which have NFL experience

- We are gonna throw to Clay a lot

I really think at the end of the day this draft is gonna be about getting Rex Ryan's D back into order.....and selecting a QB in there somewhere

Still not factoring in Hogan's 60 targets, and Harvin's 20 (in 5 games).

sure, that's why they shouldn't take one at 19 (IMO). But rounds 2-4 make sense to me. Because they are probably all better than anyone on the roster other than Sammy and maybe Woods, and Sammy gets hurt a lot and Woods is likely gone next year.

It's a deep WR draft if you need a good #2, not a good wr draft if you need a #1. Fortunately we do not.

I am wondering why Woods is likely gone.....I would think he would be a totally affordable option next offseason.

I am wondering why Woods is likely gone.....I would think he would be a totally affordable option next offseason.

i think he will choose to leave in FA, as this year the WR money in FA was higher than what I think those players really deserved. Woods will have no reason to sign an extension early. He's only 23. He can sign a 4 year deal somewhere where he could see tons of targets (Indy for example) then hit another pay day at 27. Look what Chris effing Hogan just got. That's not going away. Bills can pay him but I think they would rather replace him in the draft and save the cap space for Sammy's huge payday. Jmo

I would prefer to keep him, of course

Edited by YoloinOhio

i think he will choose to leave and the WR money in FA was higher than what I think those players really deserved. Woods will have no reason to sign an extension early. He's only 23. He can sign a 4 year deal somewhere where he could see tons of targets (Indy for example) then hit another pay day at 27. Look what Chris effing Hogan just got. That's not going away. Bills can pay him but I think they would rather replace him in the draft and save the cap space for Sammy's huge payday. Jmo

I don't disagree, I do think it's wise to plan for the future without Woods. However, I think Taylor's play this year will factor into Woods' decision. If Taylor takes the step forward most of us are hoping he takes and the Bills make the playoffs, I can see Woods wanting to stay. Doubly so if he gets 75-85 catches this year. But if Taylor falters and the Bills look to be in QB limbo yet again, then he's as good as gone.

i think he will choose to leave in FA, as this year the WR money in FA was higher than what I think those players really deserved. Woods will have no reason to sign an extension early. He's only 23. He can sign a 4 year deal somewhere where he could see tons of targets (Indy for example) then hit another pay day at 27. Look what Chris effing Hogan just got. That's not going away. Bills can pay him but I think they would rather replace him in the draft and save the cap space for Sammy's huge payday. Jmo

Agree with all this. I think the model is going to be pay Sammy and cycle through your Hogans and Hankersons and a series of #2s who are drafted and play 1 contract.

Still not factoring in Hogan's 60 targets, and Harvin's 20 (in 5 games).

When we found Kevin Hogan he was going from camp to camp getting cut......

I think we will draft a WR.....but we have big strong WR's that are not tested yet....much like Hogan was at a certain point.

Lets keep in mind that Sammy Watkins is always either going to draw double coverage or the opposing teams best DB

Agree with all this. I think the model is going to be pay Sammy and cycle through your Hogans and Hankersons and a series of #2s who are drafted and play 1 contract.

it is the Bengals model. Pay the elite guy who you can't find in most drafts( AJ Green) and keep drafting well enough at WR to keep #2-3 stocked. Edited by YoloinOhio

it is the Bengals model. Pay the elite guy who you can't find in most drafts( AJ Green) and keep drafting well enough at WR to keep #2-3 stocked.

Similar, yes.... but with a few more street FAs thrown in. Finding street FAs who can contribute is something this front office has done well.

I think it is the only way now. You get a bona fide #1 and you put other guys around him. It does mean you need to at least think about a WR every year. Some years a high pick others a Dez Lewis type flier.

If you were Woods, would you stay? He was tried like an oline last year and plays in an offense where he won't get a ton of targets. If Woods was in GB or Ne, he would be a legit #2 type receiver.

Again, wasting a high pick on a receiver for a run first offense would be so stupid.

If you were Woods, would you stay? He was tried like an oline last year and plays in an offense where he won't get a ton of targets. If Woods was in GB or Ne, he would be a legit #2 type receiver.

Again, wasting a high pick on a receiver for a run first offense would be so stupid.

Woods can only get what the market demands......

He was injured nearly this whole last season....prior to that he had number 2 WR numbers

He was injured nearly this whole last season....prior to that he had number 2 WR numbers

Sure. But a team that throws it more will value those #2 numbers higher and almost certainly offer him more than Buffalo.

Sure. But a team that throws it more will value those #2 numbers higher and almost certainly offer him more than Buffalo.

We dont know that

Things are a little grey when we are in a year where we are cap strapped.....we will not be next year and Whaley takes a lot of pride in resigning his own players.

Personally....I hope Woods has a very productive year

We dont know that

Things are a little grey when we are in a year where we are cap strapped.....we will not be next year and Whaley takes a lot of pride in resigning his own players.

Personally....I hope Woods has a very productive year

i think Whaley loves Woods (it's been said on here by insiders) and he might be his only chance to salvage anything from that 2013 draft class. So I do think he will try.

I could sign him signing a one year deal with a good passing qb and trying to get a bigger contract in a couple of years.

Woods, and pretty much every possible #2 wr, will not put up numbers in this current offense. It's not set up that way and it's been a staple of Roman offenses. If anything, the number 2 option is Clay. That's why it would be insane to go wr in the 1st or 2nd.