Jarius Wynn to OLB

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OLB's are the primary rushers in a 3-4

its amazing how people do not realize how big of a difference 3/10 is with speed.

2 inches for every tenth of a second...and with a perfectly placed throw it's the difference between an INT and a player trying to make a play on the ball, missing it and the offensive player being free on the run.

It doesn't seem like a lot but it truly is.

Edited by matter2003

2 inches for every tenth of a second...and with a perfectly placed throw it's the difference between an INT and a player trying to make a play on the ball, missing it and the offensive player being free on the run.

that is where athleticism comes in next. some athletes were not quick and could make up for it. in athleticism i lump athletic smarts. jarius byrd, for example, was not fast, but he knew how to get where he needed to be.

When it's Darron Lee to Reggie Ragland, it's a matter of life and death. :lol:

ragland will play 3 downs but he'd be better off as a 2 down backer. lee will play 3 downs, may take a year to get to the level of ragland in a few areas but will supercede ragland in the long run.

book it.

that is where athleticism comes in next. some athletes were not quick and could make up for it. in athleticism i lump athletic smarts. jarius byrd, for example, was not fast, but he knew how to get where he needed to be.

ragland will play 3 downs but he'd be better off as a 2 down backer. lee will play 3 downs, may take a year to get to the level of ragland in a few areas but will supercede ragland in the long run.

book it.

Yeah, that's where change of direction and being able to turn your hips fluidly comes in...doesn't matter how fast you are if you have to slow down to turn and run because that receiver will be blowing by you.

Yeah, that's where change of direction and being able to turn your hips fluidly comes in...doesn't matter how fast you are if you have to slow down to turn and run because that receiver will be blowing by you.

one of darby's many strengths is this

gilmore is not very strong in this department but makes up for it by being able to play man press very well. few corners can do that and put the wr where they want.

mckelvin had stiff hips some times but speed and hair on fire acceleration.

its amazing how people do not realize how big of a difference 3/10 is with speed.

consider how fast the brain works, if a linebacker is already moving to the play does that 3/10ths matter? As compared to a player who is not moving till after the snap ?

very solid point. acceleration is also different than speed. more to this than one statistic of course. Good point matter2003 !

one of darby's many strengths is this

gilmore is not very strong in this department but makes up for it by being able to play man press very well. few corners can do that and put the wr where they want.

mckelvin had stiff hips some times but speed and hair on fire acceleration.

Darby has the best make up speed i have ever seen. But i only watch the Bills these days :rolleyes:

This is all true

but

It does not take into account instincts.....proper read steps.....fundamentally sound angles to the ball

book it.

Think this is about right.... I think it might take Lee a year and a half to 2 years but he could be a good long term investment.... he is only 21 as well.

This is all true

but

It does not take into account instincts.....proper read steps.....fundamentally sound angles to the ball

Any reason to believe Wynn as a 29 year old new to the position will be exceptionally more instinctive than NFL peers?

I haven't dug into agility numbers and such but this one doesn't seem like it's got a high chance of success. If switching schemes it's possible he has no spot on the roster.

Any reason to believe Wynn as a 29 year old new to the position will be exceptionally more instinctive than NFL peers?

I haven't dug into agility numbers and such but this one doesn't seem like it's got a high chance of success. If switching schemes it's possible he has no spot on the roster.

Then why would you think they are indulging this exp.

Insurance policy? maybe he has been miscast all along.

I might bet most posters would pick Rob Ryan has his hand in this and has long lost his sensibilities

Think this is about right.... I think it might take Lee a year and a half to 2 years but he could be a good long term investment.... he is only 21 as well.

I feel he would be a good investment. wish Bills could have both Lee and Ragland honestly

Then why would you think they are indulging this exp.

Insurance policy? maybe he has been miscast all along.

I might bet most posters would pick Rob Ryan has his hand in this and has long lost his sensibilities

I feel he would be a good investment. wish Bills could have both Lee and Ragland honestly

I think it's a situation where they have the guy so they are going to put him in the spot that fits their plans best.... But I don't think that makes it likely to work - just that doing it now gives it the best shot if they get stuck.

I think it's a situation where they have the guy so they are going to put him in the spot that fits their plans best.... But I don't think that makes it likely to work - just that doing it now gives it the best shot if they get stuck.

I would agree. Safeguarding.