Bucky Brooks: Braxton Miller's draft range: Bills, Bengals

Braxton Miller's draft range: Bills, Bengals, Eagles among fits

Today's subject: Ohio State wide receiver Braxton Miller

CEILING: Mid-to-bottom second round -- Buffalo Bills (No. 49 overall), Cincinnati Bengals (No. 55),Kansas City Chiefs (No. 59).

FLOOR: Top of the third round -- Cleveland Browns (No. 65), New York Giants (No. 71), Philadelphia Eagles (No. 77 or No. 79), Buffalo Bills (No. 80).

In Buffalo, Miller could fill the void created by Chris Hogan's departure and the retirement of Percy Harvin. The 6-foot-1, 201-pounder played Harvin's "H-back" spot in Urban Meyer's offense, and he could reprise the role with the Bills in the near future.

What is interesting is that he has Bills being ceiling and floor team which implies Bill may look at him as an early pick, possibly trade down and take him later or take him with later pick.

I have seen in past Bucky has had some insight into what the Bills are doing but I think this is more guessing than insight. Bills WR coach seems like a good match for Miller who will need position refinement coaching and Sanjay Lal has shown some ability to help WRs get better with fundamentals. Likewise he will need a creative OC and that Roman is. However I am not sure he is a good match for Tyrod since he does not seem to have touch on short passes and hard for a WR to get on track while QB is trying as well. The Bills certainly need a punt returner however.

Braxton Miller's draft range: Bills, Bengals, Eagles among fits

What is interesting is that he has Bills being ceiling and floor team which implies Bill may look at him as an early pick, possibly trade down and take him later or take him with later pick.

I have seen in past Bucky has had some insight into what the Bills are doing but I think this is more guessing than insight. Bills WR coach seems like a good match for Miller who will need position refinement coaching and Sanjay Lal has shown some ability to help WRs get better with fundamentals. Likewise he will need a creative OC and that Roman is. However I am not sure he is a good match for Tyrod since he does not seem to have touch on short passes and hard for a WR to get on track while QB is trying as well. The Bills certainly need a punt returner however.

braxton has never returned punts but he's a similar player to Harvin and can be lined up in different places, as well as draw coverage away from Sammy, so I've long thought he's a good fit for the offense. Edited by YoloinOhio

braxton has never returned punts but he's a similar player to Harvin and can be lined up in different places, as well as draw coverage away from Sammy, so I've long thought he's a good fit for the offense.

Braxton or the kid from Clemson?

Let me rephrase that. The Bills will probably only take WR, so regardless of where, who should it be, Braxton, Boyd, or Peake?

Wasn't fast enough on the last post. I like Peake. I like the Sammy connection.

But I'd be happy with any of these guys.

Edited by chris heff

Let me rephrase that. The Bills will probably only take WR, so regardless of where, who should it be, Braxton, Boyd, or Peake?

Wasn't fast enough on the last post. I like Peake. I like the Sammy connection.

But I'd be happy with any of these guys.

i would go with Peake, then Miller, then Boyd.

Reasons for Peake:

- Sammy connection

-#1 WR potential with size/speed, should Sammy get hurt - deep threat for TT

Reasons for Miller:

-elite athlete/explosiveness, size and speed to scare DCs into drawing enough coverage his way to then open up the throws to Sammy

- can line up at WR, hback, RB and wildcat formations

- I think their main goal is to throw to Sammy, not to the player who is open became Sammy drew all the coverage. He, Clay and McCoy can distract defenses enough to feed 14.

- maturity and leadership

Reasons for Boyd:

-perfect #2 WR and complement to Sammy

- polished WR who can get open with route running and has great hands, which more than anything win in the NFL IMO at WR

- puts woods in slot/ Wr3 which is a nice spot for him

Edited by YoloinOhio

Reasons for Peake:

- Sammy connection

Reasons for Miller:

-elite athlete/explosiveness, size and speed to scare DCs into drawing enough coverage his way to then open up the throws to Sammy

- I think their main goal is to throw to Sammy, not to the player who is open became Sammy drew all the coverage. He, Clay and McCoy can distract defenses enough to feed 14.

Reasons for Boyd:

- polished WR who can get open with route running and has great hands, which more than anything win in the NFL IMO at WR

Great thanks.

Reasons for Peake:

- Sammy connection

Reasons for Miller:

Reasons for Boyd:

Thanks!

I definitely think we need at least one WR, which is why I'm so confused about the lack of one at draft visits.

Thanks!

I definitely think we need at least one WR, which is why I'm so confused about the lack of one at draft visits.

to me, it just says they don't plan to take one in the 1st round. They did meet with Peake at the combine, which is encouraging. And in his case, they probably didn't need to do much extra vetting. Supposedly great character and Rex would have any info there was to know with his son playing on the same WR unit. Edited by YoloinOhio

to me, it just says they don't plan to take one in the 1st round. They did meet with Peake at the combine, which is encouraging. And in his case, they probably didn't need to do much extra vetting. Supposedly great character and Rex would have any info there was to know with his son playing on the same WR unit.

Well, it's not shocking to me that they aren't looking in round 1. Outside of Treadwell (who has some knocks on him too) I can't think of many WRs who are likely to be BPA at 19.

What do you think, 2nd-3rd round? I would be ok with moving back in the first if we got one of those.

Well, it's not shocking to me that they aren't looking in round 1. Outside of Treadwell (who has some knocks on him too) I can't think of many WRs who are likely to be BPA at 19.

What do you think, 2nd-3rd round? I would be ok with moving back in the first if we got one of those.

2nd-4th depending upon how the draft falls IMO. It isn't a tremendous WR draft as a whole but I think there are some diamonds in the rough!

Reasons for Peake:

- Sammy connection

Reasons for Miller:

Reasons for Boyd:

I agree with this a lot. I see WR in the same light as QB, it really depends on how the board falls. IMO, Boyd or Miller at #49 isn't nearly as appealing as Miller at #80. Peake with say, the comp pick in the 4th is even better. But you obviously run the risk of him going before that.

If the Bills take any WR before RD4, I'll throw a brick at my TV.

I'll miss, because I'm more EJ than Goff.

Really? I really respect your work, but I personally disagree with you.

I mean, I know fixing the defense is the priority, and it would be nice to get insurance at QB, but I watched Sammy get thrown to in double coverage more times than I would have liked last year. Toss in Hogan leaving, and Woods and Goodwin in the last years of their contract I would have guessed at least a 3rd.

So you either have full confidence Bobby Woods can bounce back or enjoy having a complete void at the Z WR spot?

The Bills are crazy thin at receiver and add to that Woods is a free agent next year. Who is the Bills #3 slot receiver today? What happens if Watkins or Woods goes down with an injury?

As much as you want a great defense, you have to find a starting quality #3 receiver in this draft. They almost have to pick that guy by the third round.