Broncos Talking to Manziel; Agent Drops Manziel as Client

Not being a pot addict I don't know what 420 means. Can someone explain it?

Also it is very clear that Manziel's issues are deep and not only pot related but I'm sure your post will get the pro-pot reality deniers out in force.

It means April 20th. Considered national weed day.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i forgot about that.

oh absolutely. my bro was down that path. dropped out of high school, addicted to opiates and just going nowhere until he was about 25. he just started a great job last week and i'm on cloud nine cause we didn't think he'd make it or what would happen. he's been clean for over 2 years.

Best of luck to him. I don't know many families who haven't gone through this with someone they love. It's devastating for everyone involved.

Rehab often fails and, like a lot of hard things in life, you just have to keep trying. Of course pray that no one innocent is hurt and eventually they get it together. We've seen family and friends go to prison and even die, but some also get better.

yep, go till it takes hold. No one is perfect. But ya gotta try and then try again.

that's well-put IMO.

I keep thinking back to that article in ESPN mag when he was still at a&m where his parents said they expect to get a call one night and it will be very bad. This has been going on a really long time, and just appears to be getting worse.

so his parents gave up ?

That is what i am hearing.

Imagine reading that in the newsprint as his Son.

Think about that for a minute.

Parents can NEVER EVER give up.

Family is what keeps people connected. Kids at 19 27 and 30 or whatever, need strong family support. it shows much more with mixed up folks who need a foundation to regain their footing.

I return to my point, Manziel has had no honest and real support system.

But honestly, he does not look too good. looks pretty sick. and alone

The recent house party thing. where were his "friends" ?

Not being a pot addict I don't know what 420 means. Can someone explain it?

Also it is very clear that Manziel's issues are deep and not only pot related but I'm sure your post will get the pro-pot reality deniers out in force.

Not pretty!

proxy.jpg?t=HBhRaHR0cDovL2xsLW1lZGlhLnRt

News is fun.

watch Johnnie on his way to dying. yay

Progress does not equal perfection. That I learned. But Johnny seems to be on the opposite tract as progress. That's dangerous stuff. So many people are lost because they can't afford rehab and have insurance limitations. This guy can afford to go if he is willing, which makes his situation both better and worse. He COULD go, but he also could continue the current trajectory.

420 is the California Traffic Code for possession of marijuana while driving. Became a popular term in late 70's early 80's when the 420 was parlayed into the time of day (4:20) in which everyone should imbibe in smoking pot. Like a happy hour for weed. I'm sure Johnny Boy knows what to do when 4:20 arrives........ Is it 4:20 yet

420 is the California Traffic Code for possession of marijuana while driving. Became a popular term in late 70's early 80's when the 420 was parlayed into the time of day (4:20) in which everyone should imbibe in smoking pot. Like a happy hour for weed. I'm sure Johnny Boy knows what to do when 4:20 arrives........ Is it 4:20 yet

Which brings up......if the car doesn't reek of weed, and they don't find possession, how do they determine if you're under the influence? You can't blow? Do they have another test? My problem child blew a .082 (barely above the limit) his for DUI. A few sips difference. What about weed? Thankfully no one was hurt and he's amazing now in his new life. But with pot becoming legal, how do they deal with it? People who don't move when the light turns green?

yep, go till it takes hold. No one is perfect. But ya gotta try and then try again.

so his parents gave up ?

Family is what keeps people connected. Kids at 19 27 and 30 or whatever, need strong family support. it shows much more with mixed up folks who need a foundation to regain their footing.

That's what caught my attention with this whole ordeal. Both his parents have given him the kiss of death publicly. That's odd and disturbing to me, as you went on to say it also indicates they have given up on the kid.

Edited by Commonsense

Which brings up......if the car doesn't reek of weed, and they don't find possession, how do they determine if you're under the influence? You can't blow? Do they have another test? My problem child blew a .082 (barely above the limit) his for DUI. A few sips difference. What about weed? Thankfully no one was hurt and he's amazing now in his new life. But with pot becoming legal, how do they deal with it? People who don't move when the light turns green?

My understanding of California's DUI laws regarding drugs:

If a police officer has probable cause to suspect that you're driving while impaired by any substance, he or she can order you to take a drug test, be it a swab, blood or urine test. (Swab tests can detect THC, meth, cocaine and a handful of other drugs inside of 10 minutes). Probable cause can be the odor of marijuana or the failure of a field sobriety test. I know someone who claimed police cited his "bloodshot eyes" as probable cause for his DUI stop in Santa Monica. How they saw his eyes while he was driving is another matter...

Under California law, once you get behind the wheel and are suspected of being under the influence, you automatically give consent to take a drug test ordered by police -- or so they make drivers believe. Under that same law, the only way law enforcement can force a driver to take a drug test is if there's a car accident that results in fatalities or serious bodily injury. Police will go out of their way to tell drivers that they "have to" take the test, but the driver can always refuse. They leave this part out. Punishment for refusal includes fines, loss of license and jail time IF the driver is convicted. But unlike alcohol, marijuana can stay in one's system for a long time, so I'm not sure how they can tell whether it was from an hour ago or a day ago. I would imagine this is challenged in court all the time, and most related charges result in a plea due to the inaccuracy of the test.

I'm guessing the smart move would be to refuse consent. If you do that, they'll need an order from a judge to force you to take it. By then -- if they bother -- there will be little proof that you were under the influence while driving. Most drivers believe that if they cooperate, the charges will be lessened. But they're actually giving police the evidence they need for a conviction.

Edited by Felonious Monk

My understanding of California's DUI laws regarding drugs:

If a police officer has probable cause to suspect that you're driving while impaired by any substance, he or she can order you to take a drug test, be it a swab, blood or urine test. (Swab tests can detect THC, meth, cocaine and a handful of other drugs inside of 10 minutes). Probable cause can be the odor of marijuana or the failure of a field sobriety test. I know someone who claimed police cited his "bloodshot eyes" as probable cause for his DUI stop in Santa Monica. How they saw his eyes while he was driving is another matter...

Under California law, once you get behind the wheel and are suspected of being under the influence, you automatically give consent to take a drug test ordered by police -- or so they make drivers believe. Under that same law, the only way law enforcement can force a driver to take a drug test is if there's a car accident that results in fatalities or serious bodily injury. Police will go out of their way to tell drivers that they "have to" take the test, but the driver can always refuse. They leave this part out. Punishment for refusal includes fines, loss of license and jail time IF the driver is convicted. But unlike alcohol, marijuana can stay in one's system for a long time, so I'm not sure how they can tell whether it was from an hour ago or a day ago. I would imagine this is challenged in court all the time, and most related charges result in a plea due to the inaccuracy of the test.

I'm guessing smart move would be to refuse consent. If you do that, they'll need an order from a judge to force you to take it. By then -- if they bother -- there will be little proof that you were under the influence while driving. Most drivers believe that if they cooperate, the charges will be lessened. But they're actually giving police evidence the evidence they need for a conviction.

Thanks! That was helpful. I had no idea about the swab test. My son's second DUI (reduced to wreck less driving - at a significant cost....I swear he's MUCH better now!) was after refusing to take the breath test. They taught him after a .082 that anything more than a .000 would be used against him if they wanted in court. In those days he may have failed a swab test, but he wasn't drunk. Cops told him (and my wife) they'd charge him with DUI under prescription meds, though they had been prescribed and he was not under the influence. (Sleeping stuff for night he was NOT influenced by). But he was in general a mess, and that's how this stuff happens. I don't miss those days, and we feel for anyone who's living through it.

so his parents gave up ?

That's what caught my attention with this whole ordeal. Both his parents have given him the kiss of death publicly. That's odd and disturbing to me, as you went on to say it also indicates they have given up on the kid.

I read up on the family a couple years ago, for some reason.

Not laying blame on anyone.

But some children need more love and caring then others.

Not everyone is born ready set go.

Being my age I am able to look back at my kids and their friends and parents. and parenting.

Now i am looking at my Grandson and his environment.

I have seen enough of my kids friends struggle and some that could not deal with adversity at all. I have seen my kids struggle mightily. But all have made it through and can advise me.

and some of those friends are not upon this earth any longer.

so we as a family learn from this.

My son was on a similar path. Today is his 27th birthday. It wasn't until he was about 25 that he started to get it together. Nothing magical, but many people told us about how the frontal lobe and decision making doesn't come together until about that point. We were told we just had to keep trying to keep him alive. He starts a great new job Monday, is a FANTASTIC single father and is doing better than we ever could have hoped for. It's truly amazing. Hoping for a turnaround like that for Manziel, and anyone else who needs it.

Why do you think car rental companies don't like to rent to anyone under 25?