NFL Rule Changes Coming in 2016

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of this rule change at all for a couple reasons:

- As you mention, this is going to encourage kickers to aim kickoffs somewhere between the 5 and 1 yard lines. On a majority of kickoffs, it seems like the return man is stopped either at the 20, or short of the 20. So, if you are the kicking team, why would you aim for a touchback and give your opponent 25% of the field for free? For that matter, why not try to pop a kick with lots of hangtime somewhere around the 15, forcing a fair catch? This rule change just feels all sorts of stupid.

- Why the inconsistency between the 20/25 yd lines with respect to kickoffs and punts? I don't see how punt returns are any less dangerous than kickoffs, if player safety is the true intent behind the change.

This feels like a Roger Goodell, "change for the sake of change" idea.

The competition committee figures heavily in the rule changes and the owners either approve or disapprove. With regard the new TB rule, I believe there will be unintended consequences of more kickoffs with teams not wanting to sacrifice the 5 yards of field position.

@PFWeekly

The NFL approved two more rule changes: ejections for two unsportsmanlike penalties and moving touchbacks to the 25: https://t.co/ijcHiMOgEu

The move of the touchbacks is going to do what it seems and result in many more of them. Touchbacks have already been on the steady rise in the NFL in recent years, and this should push them way up. Ultimately, the league argued it as a measure to improve player safety by limiting the brutal hits that sometimes come on kickoffs. It might do that, but teams could also get strategic about kicking shorter and trying to pin teams in certain areas of the field, and those kinds of kicks would mean players are getting drilled more quickly.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

ICYMI:

Bills plan for IR return is adopted

NFL owners, meeting in Boca Raton, Florida, have adopted a new bylaw governing the Injured Reserve-Designated to Return list. It’s the result of a proposal made by the Buffalo Bills.

Since 2012, teams have been allowed to designate one player they wanted to bring back from the injured reserve list, but they had to designate that return player at the time he went on IR. Under the new bylaw, teams do not have to make a decision on which IR player is “Designated to Return” until the player is actually ready to return.

Wouldn't be surprised to see this end after the 1 year experimental implementation.

@SiriusXMNFL

McCaskey on new touchback rule: We are trying to make the game exciting, but safe at the same time. Safety has to take priority.

Not a fan of this rule change at all for a couple reasons:

- As you mention, this is going to encourage kickers to aim kickoffs somewhere between the 5 and 1 yard lines. On a majority of kickoffs, it seems like the return man is stopped either at the 20, or short of the 20. So, if you are the kicking team, why would you aim for a touchback and give your opponent 25% of the field for free? For that matter, why not try to pop a kick with lots of hangtime somewhere around the 15, forcing a fair catch? This rule change just feels all sorts of stupid.

- Why the inconsistency between the 20/25 yd lines with respect to kickoffs and punts? I don't see how punt returns are any less dangerous than kickoffs, if player safety is the true intent behind the change.

This feels like a Roger Goodell, "change for the sake of change" idea.

Comparing the punt to kick offs is apples to oranges in this context.

If you think you can force a fair catch at the 15 it'd be happening already

The NFL based this off in depth research, including coaches input and processing data from the college game.

It might end up wrong but it's hardly a drastic change and can be put back if it doesn't go as intended.

Not a fan of the touchbacks starting at the 20 rule. I wasn't a fan when they did it in college either. The last thing guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers need is a shorter field.

It's at the 25 now.

Typo, meant to say 25.

Ben Austro: Insight into Rule Changes for 2016 (14:16)
Ben Austro, author and founder of FootballZebras.com joined The John Murphy Show to discuss the rule changes for the upcoming NFL season. Austro discusses the elimination of the chop block, moving the spot of play following a kick-off touchback, and the ejection of a player following unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

What was the rationale for moving KO TB's to the 25-yard line? I don't see a single reason to do this.

The idea is to promote safety by lessening the number of KORs per game. I believe it will cause the opposite unintended consequences of more returns with teams intentionally kicking short of the EZ with the goal of not giving up drive starts from the 25 yard line. I cannot see this change lasting beyond the 2016 season.

This whole "Ejection after 2nd Unsportsmanlike" rule is complete BS. Another way for the league to give ultimate power to the refs to subjectively decide games.

As noted in a previous post, only 1 player had 2 in a game last year so why do they think it's an issue?

Next time they flag Hughes for congratulating his own teammate, fans should rush the f%&$ing field.

Edited by DrDareustein

The idea is to promote safety by lessening the number of KORs per game. I believe it will cause the opposite unintended consequences of more returns with teams intentionally kicking short of the EZ with the goal of not giving up drive starts from the 25 yard line. I cannot see this change lasting beyond the 2016 season.

I'm still not sure how they figured it will lessen KORs. The only way to do that is to eliminate the KO altogether.

This whole "Ejection after 2nd Unsportsmanlike" rule is complete BS. Another way for the league to give ultimate power to the refs to subjectively decide games.

As noted in a previous post, only 1 player had 2 in a game last year so why do they think it's an issue?

Next time they flag Hughes for congratulating his own teammate, fans should rush the f%&$ing field.

They always had the right to eject a player which is why the rule is redundant and stupid. They could have ejected Norman and Beckham if they wanted to do so, but they didn't have the stones to do it.

That was a clear cut case they should have tossed them. At the very least, the ref should have gone to the coach in the TV break and said "sit him for a series to cool off, or he's out for the game" That's what refs would have done 25 years ago. At the end of the day, it is their job to keep control on the field.