NK sub gone missing

I can't imagine dying in a submarine accident. Gotta be a tough way to go.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/11/politics/u-s-says-north-korean-submarine-missing/index.html

It depends. If it's like Thresher or Scorpion, it's supposedly quick: when the sub passes crush depth and implodes, the pressure supposedly ignites the air in the sub instantaneously and kills everyone immediately. If, on the other hand, it's like the Kursk, it's a long, cold, lingering death.

In this case, probably the latter. And it's probably one of their dinky little special ops coastal subs.

It depends. If it's like Thresher or Scorpion, it's supposedly quick: when the sub passes crush depth and implodes, the pressure supposedly ignites the air in the sub instantaneously and kills everyone immediately. If, on the other hand, it's like the Kursk, it's a long, cold, lingering death.

In this case, probably the latter. And it's probably one of their dinky little special ops coastal subs.

The Kursk was the one where Putin was on vacation and waited 5 days right? Wasn't the US offering assistance too?

In this case, probably the latter. And it's probably one of their dinky little special ops coastal subs. ​(NK's Submarine Force has been accurately described as "70 rusted out submersible rowboats.")

In reference to the bolded part, where did you hear that little pearl of wisdom? Even Dan Clancy couldn't sell that one.

In the thankfully rare times when an American Submarine sank Past Crush depth and imploded the crew was killed in seconds by the combination of drowning and sea pressure (44.4 PSI per each 100 ft of depth). The Submarine's atmosphere cannot ignite, explode, or whatever due to increased pressure.

The crew of the Kursk experienced an entirely different type of death, slow suffocation as their atmosphere went bad. The Russian Government sacrificed those men to a horrible fate in order to keep secret the true reason that Submarine sank.

In reference to the bolded part, where did you hear that little pearl of wisdom? Even Dan Clancy couldn't sell that one.

In the thankfully rare times when an American Submarine sank Past Crush depth and imploded the crew was killed in seconds by the combination of drowning and sea pressure (44.4 PSI per each 100 ft of depth). The Submarine's atmosphere cannot ignite, explode, or whatever due to increased pressure.

The crew of the Kursk experienced an entirely different type of death, slow suffocation as their atmosphere went bad. The Russian Government sacrificed those men to a horrible fate in order to keep secret the true reason that Submarine sank.

Tom Clancy's idiot brother Dan couldn't sell a glass of water to someone walking trough the Sahara.

Tom Clancy's idiot brother Dan couldn't sell a glass of water to someone walking trough the Sahara.

Tom's brother Dan is the smart one. He wouldn't even try to sell a glass of water in the Sahara when they have a whole trough to drink from. Anyway, it's not polite to point out R.I. Reds mistakes. If he/she posted more that would be a whole career.

I've read it in a few different places. Never made much sense to me, except in the abstract sense that "pressure = heat." It's why I qualified it with "supposedly."

I'm waiting for something to happen with NK. I think sooner or later there will be a military coup (I'm sure their highest ranking generals are aware they all have shelf lives, and a 20mm anti aircraft cannon is waiting for them) or that they really actually do follow through on their threats.

If the newest round of sanctions actually stick somehow NK is even more cut off than before and sooner or later they will react like a cornered animal.

I am starting to look at The Pacific as it was back in the early 1930s. It seems like just a matter of time until there is another major war (with China playing The role of Japan.)

The most paranoid conspiracy theory I have is that China will use NK as a patsie pawn to do their bidding for them for plausible deniability. I think sooner or later NK (with China urging them on) is going to detonate a high altitude emp burst over America sending us back to the stone age which will allow China to do anything they want in the Pacific and even colonize our West coast. I think if there is a war with China they will strike first in overwhelming fashion and not allow us to recover and sacrificing NK to do their bidding is a nice convenient way to accomplish their goals.

Yes I'm wearing a tin foil hat, and I see a black van parked across the road....

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

I'm waiting for something to happen with NK. I think sooner or later there will be a military coup (I'm sure their highest ranking generals are aware they all have shelf lives, and a 20mm anti aircraft cannon is waiting for them) or that they really actually do follow through on their threats.

If the newest round of sanctions actually stick somehow NK is even more cut off than before and sooner or later they will react like a cornered animal.

I am starting to look at The Pacific as it was back in the early 1930s. It seems like just a matter of time until there is another major war (with China playing The role of Japan.)

The most paranoid conspiracy theory I have is that China will use NK as a patsie pawn to do their bidding for them for plausible deniability. I think sooner or later NK (with China urging them on) is going to detonate a high altitude emp burst over America sending us back to the stone age which will allow China to do anything they want in the Pacific and even colonize our West coast. I think if there is a war with China they will strike first in overwhelming fashion and not allow us to recover and sacrificing NK to do their bidding is a nice convenient way to accomplish their goals.

Yes I'm wearing a tin foil hat, and I see a black van parked across the road....

The problem with that is China would lose as much as we would should America fall. China and the US are definitely sparring behind the scenes, from the cyberwar that's ongoing to the build up in the South China Sea. But China doesn't want a full scale war with America, it'd be a disaster for them -- not only militarily (for now) but economically.

Any ideas what that was? I remember a bit about this incident, mainly Putin being "on vacation", but nothing else.

The problem with that is China would lose as much as we would should America fall. China and the US are definitely sparring behind the scenes, from the cyberwar that's ongoing to the build up in the South China Sea. But China doesn't want a full scale war with America, it'd be a disaster for them -- not only militarily (for now) but economically.

China's economy isn't in great shape right now and they have to assume they are

Never going to get their trillions of $ in credit back regardless. So at least IMO they would prefer to knock us down to become the world's dominant power, get us out of the way and they can do whatever they want. They steal all the wealth and resources they want in the entire Asia Pacific theater

Could it be that they defected to the south and this story is just a cover?

Possible but unlikely. It's more likely the sub sunk based on the decrepit subs in use by DPRK (imo).

China's economy isn't in great shape right now and they have to assume they are

Never going to get their trillions of $ in credit back regardless. So at least IMO they would prefer to knock us down to become the world's dominant power, get us out of the way and they can do whatever they want. They steal all the wealth and resources they want in the entire Asia Pacific theater

I won't say you're wrong because what do I know (and I enjoy speculating like this). I do think if China managed to get us out of the way they'd have to tangle with Russia before they could claim any sort of superior position, and Russia has far more natural resources and (I think?) is much stronger militarily than China still. At least if it were to go down in 2016. Maybe by 2020 they'd be in a stronger position if they continue to take over the most valuable trade routes in the world.

Any ideas what that was? I remember a bit about this incident, mainly Putin being "on vacation", but nothing else.

Suffocation. Possibly hypothermia.

There are a few theories about what happened to that Oskar which was the largest attack submarine in the world.

It had new cruise missile and new torpedo technology and the main theory IIRC was that one of them blew up inside the torpedo tube.

The Rooskies claimed that one of our two subs that was trailing the Russian navy's exercise collided with her underwater.

Great Britain and the Norwegians were also watching the exercises and offered to help - which was rejected for several days.

But those divers were eventually allowed access to the hull and discovered it was flooded.

220px-Kursk_wreck.jpg