Falcons Ask Eli Apple if He Likes Men in Combine Interview

The NFL combine often features inappropriate questions. The one Eli Apple got from the Falcons certain qualifies.

Oh boy!

@PFWeekly

Video: A #Falcons coach (jokingly) asked CB Eli Apple 'Do you like men?' http://shawurl.com/2g66

CcuGaObWwAEDOL-.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to say I love you all....men, women, canine, feline, mammals, amphibians, etc....

This follow from the coach who asked the question just made me laugh...

From PFT article.....

On the show Friday, Apple said the question was “the first thing he asked me. It was weird. I was just like, ‘no.’ He was like, ‘if you’re going to come to Atlanta, sometimes that’s how it is around here, you’re going to have to get used to it.’ I guess he was joking but they just ask most of these questions to see how you’re going to react.”

Made me wonder what the Falcons' locker room is like....

it's an irrelevant question like many questions in these combines. the results, as beergirl suggests, are now revealed that he disclosed the question and team. he made 15 seconds of fame for doing so but will we remember who he is in the Fall?

it's an irrelevant question like many questions in these combines. the results, as beergirl suggests, are now revealed that he disclosed the question and team. he made 15 seconds of fame for doing so but will we remember who he is in the Fall?

Is that a real question?

Is that a real question?

yes, i do believe it is... we see his name in a headline now. will we see it again in the Fall? there are no sure things in the NFL anymore. no matter how good he is, why jeopardize his future and hopeful career on doing such a thing? what does he expect to get from it? no one is going to care what questions are asked, because they'll keep being asked regardless of what he says.

one bad decision does not make it worthwhile to make another bad decision. but, in the line of work he's in and the stuff that goes on at the combine - it is likely part of the norm to ask such a question. the norm is not revealing what was asked.

yes, i do believe it is... we see his name in a headline now. will we see it again in the Fall? there are no sure things in the NFL anymore. no matter how good he is, why jeopardize his future and hopeful career on doing such a thing? what does he expect to get from it? no one is going to care what questions are asked, because they'll keep being asked regardless of what he says.

one bad decision does not make it worthwhile to make another bad decision. but, in the line of work he's in and the stuff that goes on at the combine - it is likely part of the norm to ask such a question. the norm is not revealing what was asked.

In this day and age, it's not normal and probably not even legal.

In this day and age, it's not normal and probably not even legal.

social standards and such do change and many things do not make it right but when you're trying to interview a person you will ask such outlandish things on purpose. law enforcement does similar things when you join, especially the higher intensive units and divisions/fields. they stress you, test you and mess you.

i do not understand how it could be illegal. this is not a job interview. i mean, at any job interview i had i never had to jump, run, touch my toes or throw a ball.

also, you seem to forget there is a waiver the players sign prior to participating...

social standards and such do change and many things do not make it right but when you're trying to interview a person you will ask such outlandish things on purpose. law enforcement does similar things when you join, especially the higher intensive units and divisions/fields. they stress you, test you and mess you.

i do not understand how it could be illegal. this is not a job interview. i mean, at any job interview i had i never had to jump, run, touch my toes or throw a ball.

also, you seem to forget there is a waiver the players sign prior to participating...

The entire combine process essentially is a job interview for all of the draft prospects.

Stupid, stupid thing for someone to ask, but equally stupid for Eli to divulge the team. Poor judgment on his part.

That was the biggest takeaway for me, it seems these coaches ask all sort of outrageous stuff to trigger a response and he took the bait. Sure the question was insensitive buuuuutttttt now Eli Apple comes off as sensitive which isn't a good look.

The entire combine process essentially is a job interview for all of the draft prospects.

dolfins coach asks Bryant about his mother, this Falcons coach, silly questions (to me). Falcons have apologized & this will be forgotten in a couple days. Eli will still get drafted in the first.

That was the biggest takeaway for me, it seems these coaches ask all sort of outrageous stuff to trigger a response and he took the bait. Sure the question was insensitive buuuuutttttt now Eli Apple comes off as sensitive which isn't a good look.

I heard the audio clip of Apple talking about the question and it didn't sound as if he was upset or bothered by the question.

I heard the audio clip of Apple talking about the question and it didn't sound as if he was upset or bothered by the question.

I just got home and poured a weekend beverage I have yet to see it. It just strikes me as the less he says there the better. I'm sure these guys have friends in the league and have heard of all the weird approaches coaches take at the combine...I'm also sure that Meyer helps them prep for stuff like this.

Will this affect his draft stock? No, but at best it shows a guy who lacks something...even if it's just discipline and not a maturity issue.

I just got home and poured a weekend beverage I have yet to see it. It just strikes me as the less he says there the better. I'm sure these guys have friends in the league and have heard of all the weird approaches coaches take at the combine...I'm also sure that Meyer helps them prep for stuff like this.

Will this affect his draft stock? No, but at best it shows a guy who lacks something...even if it's just discipline and not a maturity issue.

Yeah he should just shut his mouth and play along, that way this stuff can go on forever! :wallbash:

Yeah he should just shut his mouth and play along, that way this stuff can go on forever! :wallbash:

The NFL is never going to be the standard barer for society and if it becomes that we are screwed. I am not going any further than that on a combine question from a nobody coach. I'm sure worse stuff gets said around water-coolers all around the country on a daily basis.

what stuff exactly? seeing that this kid will run his mouth about anything?

sure, it could be called archaic but many men would simply respond to such a question by doing many other things than it seemed Apple did; such as, say it doesn't matter because i play football. or, ask him what business it is to the guy? seemingly, apple took issue with it and anyone who has a sound mind and maturity directs their issue at the the subject rather than carry it out and air it out to others as gossip.

that's how i would judge apple. i would judge him as if something went wrong in the locker room and something he didn't like or understand, or any such thing he would be the one to start talking about it to others, media, etc. something he doesn't need to do.

of course, you can realize that now going in and evaluate your staff to being up to par dealing with it.

essentially but not literally.

There are more gay players in the NFL than you would expect. There's a player on the Bills that's gay and it's well known who it is. You can speculate but if you have any gaydar at all you'll figure out who it is right away just by watching interviews.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all this "gay talk" in the NFL is so disingenuous. Something about it bugs me. Not sure what it is. I can rattle off 5 current and former Pro-Bowlers off the top of my head that are gay.

Edited by musichunch