Kraig Urbik cut (update - signed with Miami)

Wrotto Green Brown Bell Urbik Pears Wang Meredith

Howard Levitre

77 Demetress Bell OT 7 6 1984-05-03 Northwestern State 74 Colin Brown OT 11 1 1900-00-00 Missouri 75 Chris Hairston OT 13 7 1989-04-26 Clemson 67 Andrew Levitre OG 16 16 1986-05-15 Oregon State 79 Erik Pears OT 16 16 1982-06-25 Colorado State 76 Chad Rinehart OG 16 12 1985-05-04 Northern Iowa 65 Garrison Sanborn LS 16 0 1985-07-31 Florida State 60 Kraig Urbik OG 13 13 1985-09-23 Wisconsin 70 Eric Wood C 9 9 1986-03-18 Louisville 71 Sam Young

Colin Brown OT 1 1 1900-00-00 Missouri 77 Cordy Glenn OG 13 13 1989-09-18 Georgia 75 Chris Hairston OT 12 8 1989-04-26 Clemson 67 Andrew Levitre OG 16 16 1986-05-15 Oregon State 79 Erik Pears OT 7 7 1982-06-25 Colorado State 76 Chad Rinehart OG 7 2 1985-05-04 Northern Iowa 65 Garrison Sanborn LS 16 0 1985-07-31 Florida State 73 Chris Scott OT 0 0 1987-08-04 Tennessee 61 David Snow C 5 2 1989-11-09 Texas 60 Kraig Urbik OG 13 13 1985-09-23 Wisconsin 66 Thomas Welch OT 3 0 1987-06-19 Vanderbilt 68 Reggie Wells OT 0 0 1980-11-03 Clarion 68 Keith Williams OG 2 0 1988-04-08 Nebraska 70 Eric Wood C 14 14 1986-03-18 Louisville 71 Sam Young OT 12 4 1987-06-24 Notre Dame

The common denominator? Garrison Sanbourn.

The guy HAS to go!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes. lets name them for fun and amusement shall we? i have been waiting for this part of the show honestly. Lets name all the guards Buffalo has had since say Andy

i just started looking and was noticing tackles

people forget how bad these o lines were.

Wrotto Green Brown Bell Urbik Pears Wang Meredith

Howard Levitre

77 Demetress Bell OT 7 6 1984-05-03 Northwestern State 74 Colin Brown OT 11 1 1900-00-00 Missouri 75 Chris Hairston OT 13 7 1989-04-26 Clemson 67 Andrew Levitre OG 16 16 1986-05-15 Oregon State 79 Erik Pears OT 16 16 1982-06-25 Colorado State 76 Chad Rinehart OG 16 12 1985-05-04 Northern Iowa 65 Garrison Sanborn LS 16 0 1985-07-31 Florida State 60 Kraig Urbik OG 13 13 1985-09-23 Wisconsin 70 Eric Wood C 9 9 1986-03-18 Louisville 71 Sam Young

Colin Brown OT 1 1 1900-00-00 Missouri 77 Cordy Glenn OG 13 13 1989-09-18 Georgia 75 Chris Hairston OT 12 8 1989-04-26 Clemson 67 Andrew Levitre OG 16 16 1986-05-15 Oregon State 79 Erik Pears OT 7 7 1982-06-25 Colorado State 76 Chad Rinehart OG 7 2 1985-05-04 Northern Iowa 65 Garrison Sanborn LS 16 0 1985-07-31 Florida State 73 Chris Scott OT 0 0 1987-08-04 Tennessee 61 David Snow C 5 2 1989-11-09 Texas 60 Kraig Urbik OG 13 13 1985-09-23 Wisconsin 66 Thomas Welch OT 3 0 1987-06-19 Vanderbilt 68 Reggie Wells OT 0 0 1980-11-03 Clarion 68 Keith Williams OG 2 0 1988-04-08 Nebraska 70 Eric Wood C 14 14 1986-03-18 Louisville 71 Sam Young OT 12 4 1987-06-24 Notre Dame

The Buffalo Bills offensive lines have been bad for the most part since the 90's and a big reason why no Bills QB has had great success. The general thinking at OBD over that period of time been offensive line players simply aren't worth the going rate. The team didn't keep LT Jason peters and there he is with the Eagles at 10.35 per. The team didn't keep LG Andy Levitre and there he is with Atlanta making 7.8 mill per. Now it looks like Peters is underpaid and Levitre is overpaid.

The team did have a halfway decent line in 2012 with Glenn at LT, Levitre at LG, Wood at center, Urbik at RG, Pears at RT and the weak links there was clearly on the right side. Sadly, that line didn't stay together for more then one season in an area where continuity is so important.

This past years line graded at #9 overall and it showed last season by being the #2 team in rushing attempts and #1 in rushing yards. That grade came mostly because the left side of the line was so good.

"9. Buffalo Bills (22nd)

Pass-blocking rank: 11th

Run-blocking rank: 10th

Penalties rank: 14th

Stud: You think the Richie Incognito moved paid off? Not only did he show no signs of rust, but he was our top-ranked left guard on the entire year.

Dud: It’s never easy for rookies, and John Miller really proved that with a poor year that saw him yield too much pressure and get beat too often in the run game.

Summary: Quite the turnaround for this group. Spearheaded by the arrival of Incognito, it’s really a tale of two sides. On the left, their pairing is as good as any in the league, and on the right, it’s as bad as any. In the middle, the ever-present Eric Wood had a very useful year for a line that has a nice blend of youth and experience."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2015.htm

I can only wonder if 2016 will be a repeat of the 2013 season in that the team will lose Incognito and try and replace him with scurbs like they did with Andy Levitre. The Bills need to not only keep incognito and upgrade the RT, RG positions. Tyrod Talor needs a top line to help him develop and keep that run game going strong.

mike Williams?

He was a draft pick (#4).

Walker signed a 25 million dollar contract to play RT and he flat out sucked. He couldn't move and was almost as bad as Derrick Dockery was at guard. Then, they traded Jason Peters and actually put Walker at LT, and things got that much worse.

Things were really, really bad in those days. My fear is that it will look like this again if the Bills don't fire Ryan and company sooner than later.

Walker signed a 25 million dollar contract to play RT and he flat out sucked. He couldn't move and was almost as bad as Derrick Dockery was at guard. Then, they traded Jason Peters and actually put Walker at LT, and things got that much worse.

Things were really, really bad in those days. My fear is that it will look like this again if the Bills don't fire Ryan and company sooner than later.

that's who then other one was. Dockery. Both sucked

Who was the banged up old dude we brought in not long ago that we had hope for? Don't even think he made it through preseason

I think urbik epitomizes this team more than Mario or Dixon. Losing him could hurt the most. Something we have never had was good OL starters. We always seemed to have good backups though. Urbik is a good backup potential starter. That we canned him - in a very weak position prior to the draft is meh

The Buffalo Bills offensive lines have been bad for the most part since the 90's and a big reason why no Bills QB has had great success. The general thinking at OBD over that period of time been offensive line players simply aren't worth the going rate. The team didn't keep LT Jason peters and there he is with the Eagles at 10.35 per. The team didn't keep LG Andy Levitre and there he is with Atlanta making 7.8 mill per. Now it looks like Peters is underpaid and Levitre is overpaid.

The team did have a halfway decent line in 2012 with Glenn at LT, Levitre at LG, Wood at center, Urbik at RG, Pears at RT and the weak links there was clearly on the right side. Sadly, that line didn't stay together for more then one season in an area where continuity is so important.

This past years line graded at #9 overall and it showed last season by being the #2 team in rushing attempts and #1 in rushing yards. That grade came mostly because the left side of the line was so good.

"9. Buffalo Bills (22nd)

Pass-blocking rank: 11th

Run-blocking rank: 10th

Penalties rank: 14th

Stud: You think the Richie Incognito moved paid off? Not only did he show no signs of rust, but he was our top-ranked left guard on the entire year.

Dud: It’s never easy for rookies, and John Miller really proved that with a poor year that saw him yield too much pressure and get beat too often in the run game.

Summary: Quite the turnaround for this group. Spearheaded by the arrival of Incognito, it’s really a tale of two sides. On the left, their pairing is as good as any in the league, and on the right, it’s as bad as any. In the middle, the ever-present Eric Wood had a very useful year for a line that has a nice blend of youth and experience."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2015.htm

I can only wonder if 2016 will be a repeat of the 2013 season in that the team will lose Incognito and try and replace him with scurbs like they did with Andy Levitre. The Bills need to not only keep incognito and upgrade the RT, RG positions. Tyrod Talor needs a top line to help him develop and keep that run game going strong.

Good post. I think it is significant to consider all these things

The common denominator? Garrison Sanbourn.

The guy HAS to go!

you saw that too !!

LOL

that's who then other one was. Dockery. Both sucked

Who was the banged up old dude we brought in not long ago that we had hope for? Don't even think he made it through preseason

Chris Williams? at lg ? paid him too.

The quality of players is on the rise. Now we need to keep the right ones. the vital ones

Langston Walker was flat out awful from day 1. The man could barely move.

I remember thinking he and Dockery would anchor our line when they were signed.

They both were flat out awful. Maybe even worse, but I cant come up with words to describe them.

It's BS, but still nice of Wood to tweet it.

@EWood70

It's not going to be the same in Buffalo without my dude @kraigurbik but I know he will land on his feet and kick some tail somewhere

thanks.

I liked Kraig on the team. He stepped up when Miller could not , as he always did. No great shakes i suppose but Bills surely had much worse over the years and paid them more too. He just brought the lunch pail and went to work

thanks.

I liked Kraig on the team. He stepped up when Miller could not , as he always did. No great shakes i suppose but Bills surely had much worse over the years and paid them more too. He just brought the lunch pail and went to work

100% correct. Chris Williams and Derrick Dockery immediately come to mind.

Erik Pears and Cyril Richardson too.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Yep, and it didn't help that when 25+ year vet O-line coach McNally retired that Jauron chose to promote from within instead of hiring another veteran line coach. When a defensive coach left the team it was always a seasoned veteran coach that was hired to replace them. That was Jauron's MO and I think he was afraid to hire any experienced offensive coach for fear they would take his job as HC.

My fear is the only way real change will take place on this team will be to finally hire that NFL experienced senior football man at the top of the chart. Then leave the head coaching hires and all football personnel matters to him. Although, it might be a long while before that happens because the fangs are already in pretty deep.

On another note, I think Rex Ryan has actually been good to the offense and the O-line in wanting and getting Tyrod Taylor and taking a chance with Incognito when nobody else would. Then last off-season Ryan went after OG La'el Collins but lost out to the Cowboys. Oh my lord the addition of Collins and Incognito that would have improved that line so much more. I would have loved to see that young man running around pancaking people all game for the Bills.

Anyway, things are not looking good on the Incognito front and should he leave things may really go south fast because both Glenn and Wood will regress again. Imagine how things will look when the team backs up a truckload of money for the LT only to see the line look like it did in 2014.

EDIT: Let's not forget Langston Walker who couldn't make it to the line quickly enough to run the no-huddle offense in preseason so Jauron cut him two weeks before the opener...then they scrapped the no-huddle after two games. The good old days :sick:

Edited by Nihilarian

thanks.

Better off with him than without that's for sure. Whaley needs Miller to pan out this year and hit on another lineman in the draft.....the next good one he drafts will be his first. Hopefully Miller's health was the main issue last season.

Yep, and it didn't help that when 25+ year vet O-line coach McNally retired that Jauron chose to promote from within instead of hiring another veteran line coach. When a defensive coach left the team it was always a seasoned veteran coach that was hired to replace them. That was Jauron's MO and I think he was afraid to hire any experienced offensive coach for fear they would take his job as HC.

My fear is the only way real change will take place on this team will be to finally hire that NFL experienced senior football man at the top of the chart. Then leave the head coaching hires and all football personnel matters to him. Although, it might be a long while before that happens because the fangs are already in pretty deep.

On another note, I think Rex Ryan has actually been good to the offense and the O-line in wanting and getting Tyrod Taylor and taking a chance with Incognito when nobody else would. Then last off-season Ryan went after OG La'el Collins but lost out to the Cowboys. Oh my lord the addition of Collins and Incognito that would have improved that line so much more. I would have loved to see that young man running around pancaking people all game for the Bills.

Anyway, things are not looking good on the Incognito front and should he leave things may really go south fast because both Glenn and Wood will regress again. Imagine how things will look when the team backs up a truckload of money for the LT only to see the line look like it did in 2014.

EDIT: Let's not forget Langston Walker who couldn't make it to the line quickly enough to run the no-huddle offense in preseason so Jauron cut him two weeks before the opener...then they scrapped the no-huddle after two games. The good old days :sick:

Ryan has a clue at times.

i sure am concerned about regression over consternation for a couple million a year for the LT and LG.

Better off with him than without that's for sure. Whaley needs Miller to pan out this year and hit on another lineman in the draft.....the next good one he drafts will be his first. Hopefully Miller's health was the main issue last season.

John has the smarts and drive.

100% correct. Chris Williams and Derrick Dockery immediately come to mind.

Erik Pears and Cyril Richardson too.

when was the last time we drafted a good guard? Levitre? he's flopped out a little bit. before that was rueben brown?

is drafted an OG harder than drafting a QB?

when was the last time we drafted a good guard? Levitre? he's flopped out a little bit. before that was rueben brown?

is drafted an OG harder than drafting a QB?

That's all coming to a head shortly, if they fail to draft capable linemen again this year we are screwed on the right side. The left side of the line has the front office hostage because of the manner in which we have addressed the line.

Cujo- had enough red flags to make nascar fans jump off a bridge.

Richardson- late round, close your eyes and hope.

Henderson- well if this works out I'm going to be everyone's favorite GM. Nice value for a 7th however.

Refusal to address the line is a problem. Chris Williams was a joke, Incog saved this front office a lot of ridicule. Miller seems to be a decent value at a 3rd but the only time he looked good was in OTA's in shorts and a t-shirt.

And then Derrick Dockery went back and resigned to play for same team he left Washington.