2016 NFL Scouting Combine

YoloinOhio

List of combine participants that tested "in the red", which is old-school scout-talk for when a guy's bench press reps, inches of vertical jump, and feet of broad jump distance add up to 70 or above (it's supposed to measure the guys that have elite-level explosiveness):

Daniel Lasco - RB/Cal (75.3)

Andy Janovich - FB/Nebraska (73.9)

Dan Vitale - FB/Northwestern (78.8)

Sterling Shepard - WR/Oklahoma (71.3)

Connor McGovern - OL/Missouri (75.1)

Jason Spriggs - OL/Indiana (72.1)

Noah Spence - EDGE/E. Kentucky (70.1)

Matt Judon - EDGE/Grand Valley State (74.1)

Dean Lowry - EDGE/Northwestern (72.0)

Yannik Ngakoue - EDGE/Maryland (70.3)

Robert Nkemdiche - DL/Ole Miss (72.67)

Sheldon Rankins - DT/Louisville (72.33)

B.J. Goodson - LB/Clemson (74.3)

Miles Killebrew - S/Southern Utah (70.6)

Also, some very noteworthy 10-yard-splits:

Sterling Shepard (again) - 1.55

Will Fuller - 1.52

Emmanuel Ogbah - 1.59 (that's WR speed for a 273-lb guy)

Noah Spence (again) - 1.62

Shaq Lawson - 1.64

Kenny Clark - 1.72 (sick for a nose tackle)

Darron Lee - 1.55

Leonard Floyd - 1.60

Jalen Ramsey - 1.52

Williams Jackson III - 1.52

Yuda man, bandit. Thanks.

I think we will be all over Spence if he's there at 19. Doubt he drops though.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuda man, bandit. Thanks.

I think we will be all over Spence if he's there at 19. Doubt he drops though.

GO BILLS!!!

You bet.

I think it'll be Spence, Lee, or Lawson (in that order). I'm not enamored with Lawson, but I do think he'll be a solid 5-tech.

I would be willing to make a Sammy-style trade for Myles Jack though--my #1 player in the draft by a significant margin.

You bet.

I think it'll be Spence, Lee, or Lawson (in that order). I'm not enamored with Lawson, but I do think he'll be a solid 5-tech.

I would be willing to make a Sammy-style trade for Myles Jack though--my #1 player in the draft by a significant margin.

You know Whaley wants to... Haha Edited by YoloinOhio

You know Whaley wants to... Haha

I actually hope he does--Jack is a once-in-a-half-decade type player.

I knew he was a top-10 talent, but that BYU game from 2015 sold me on him...the guy played 20+ snaps at slot corner and actually looked like a bona fide slot corner.

Then you watch him stack up against the run, and he's a 230-lb spring-loaded monster. It's a beautiful thing to watch him engage a pulling guard and gain full extension; stuns the guy right in his tracks.

He's really something.

WTH kinda question is that?

um in the back so I don't get killed in a head collision or going over a cliff, hopefully don't go end over end. or tell the drive to slow down or I break your neck ... dumb questions :death:

well we could do worse but I prefer a kid with no baggage in the first

so , i just have to.

Obviously these are psch and personality defining Q&As.

you are not going to become a team leader. Your concept of self preservation exceeds your morality and ability to react in times of duress. You responded with anger too. Out of frustration i suppose?

The correct answer, and yes there is one sometimes is..

I am driving the bus.

Because i am in charge in control, and taking these people to safety from the avalanche that is occurring. So speed is of the essence. Yes there is risk involved, but i am the best man for the job.

there.

Any other questions Coach?

and that was off the top of my head.

where is my participatory ribbon?

Edited by 3rdand12

NFL winners and losers from combine

Jets are "winners", plus a jab at Rex

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640367/article/nfls-winners-and-losers-from-combine?campaign=Twitter_atn

@zjwhitman

The NFL Combine didn't produce a single 2-sigma athlete from Friday through Sunday. But Florida colleges produced 2 DBs in that class today.

Your two freaks of the 2016 Combine: Jalen Ramsey (99th percentile) and Vernon Hargreaves (98th percentile)

The defensive back class is absolutely stacked with athletes. SIX players at or above the 95th percentile.

This is probably one of the most athletic position groups in the last 18 years of NFL Combines

Pending a few missing drills, I project the six best SPARQ athletes at the Combine to all be defensive backs.

Edited by YoloinOhio

NFL winners and losers from combine

Jets are "winners", plus a jab at Rex

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640367/article/nfls-winners-and-losers-from-combine?campaign=Twitter_atn

@zjwhitman

The NFL Combine didn't produce a single 2-sigma athlete from Friday through Sunday. But Florida colleges produced 2 DBs in that class today.

Your two freaks of the 2016 Combine: Jalen Ramsey (99th percentile) and Vernon Hargreaves (98th percentile)

The defensive back class is absolutely stacked with athletes. SIX players at or above the 95th percentile.

This is probably one of the most athletic position groups in the last 18 years of NFL Combines

Pending a few missing drills, I project the six best SPARQ athletes at the Combine to all be defensive backs.

Nobody can be surprised that a higher number of DBs comprise the largest group of standouts. They are the best athletes on any NFL team, usually.

Not sure how any team can be a winner or loser at the combine.

GO BILLS!!!

Nobody can be surprised that a higher number of DBs comprise the largest group of standouts. They are the best athletes on any NFL team, usually.

Not sure how any team can be a winner or loser at the combine.

GO BILLS!!!

the Jets are obviously. Because their Coach and GM appear competent on the podium or something and because Mario and Rex aren't painting each other's nails and exchanging BFF bracelets. Jets win, clearly.

Hopefully teams get DB desperate and push down the DL and LBs to us.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@4joshreed

Interesting read. The Bengals and #Bills look at combine the same way. Interviews over workouts

http://m.bengals.com/news/article-1/Combine-takes/f946f6a9-1aff-4877-95de-84ea15fcf7de

Another great read..

Behind Closed Doors at the NFL Combine

Teams are allowed to schedule formal interviews with 60 prospects, each lasting just 15 minutes. The MMQB sat in the room as the Dolphins grilled a quarterback and tried to determine the makeup of the man

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/01/nfl-combine-miami-dolphins-formal-interview-quarterback

Edited by YoloinOhio

@lriddickespn

Combine drill with high correlation between test result and future performance (starts) for DE's - 20yd shuttle.

Bosa - 4.21 - tied 2nd best among all DL's. Anything 4.20 and lower would be considered extraordinary. (Von Miller 4.08 at 246 pounds)

This wouldn't include Spence, who I heard struggled in interviews

@lriddickESPN

Was told that the #BuckeyeNation should be most proud of their combine participants for how well they handled themselves during interviews.

Good combine notes from The Big Lead... The Wentz and Cardale stuff is interesting ... And a shakeup at ESPN

http://thebiglead.com/2016/03/01/36-hours-at-the-nfl-combine-from-carson-wentz-doubters-to-espn-moves-were-off-the-record-right/

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 important takeaways from the NFL combine

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/19-important-takeaways-from-the-nfl-combine-030216

Spence stock plummeting IMO

Also re: #5 on Bosa. He didn't get suspended for smoking weed

It's really weird that teams seem to be reluctant with Spence given the kind of guys some of them employ on an annual basis.

I also love the focus on the 4.8 time and not the 1.62 split which is the important bit. I'll worry about an edge rushers 40 time when a QB has a 27 step drop.

It's really weird that teams seem to be reluctant with Spence given the kind of guys some of them employ on an annual basis.

I also love the focus on the 4.8 time and not the 1.62 split which is the important bit. I'll worry about an edge rushers 40 time when a QB has a 27 step drop.

I think some of it is just teams posturing through the media. After Von Miller's postseason dominance GM's are going to be hot and heavy for edge guys.

Edited by Commonsense

I think some if it is just teams posturing through the media. After Von Miller's postseason dominance GM's are going to be hot and heavy for edge guys.

True. There's always games being played at this time of year.

Given the stuff that Spence struggled with, I just find it a bit distasteful that the automatic assumption from some people will be to doubt his drug rehab. Got to be tough for his family/friends to read.

especially with a player like Bosa who had a fast split and great drills and speed isn't his game anyway. He's all technique, hands. Maybe he's not the #1 pick but I didn't ever think he was. Top 5 IMO and if the Ravens get him at 6 I will puke.

True. There's always games being played at this time of year.

Given the stuff that Spence struggled with, I just find it a bit distasteful that the automatic assumption from some people will be to doubt his drug rehab. Got to be tough for his family/friends to read.

and apparently everyone has forgotten that Von Miller was suspended 6 games *after* he was in the league for the same exact drug. Edited by YoloinOhio

especially with a player like Bosa who had a fast split and great drills and speed isn't his game anyway. He's all technique, hands. Maybe he's not the #1 pick but I didn't ever think he was. Top 5 IMO and if the Ravens get him at 6 I will puke.

Cowherd did a good breakdown on Bosa. Watt had equal or better times in all drills of notice while being 30 pounds heavier. He also did 11 more reps on the bench than Bosa. Sure Watt is one of a kind but isn't that an indication that Bosa won't be anything close?

I'm glad we aren't in range to pick him, I see a solid player. IMO we could get a better player at 19 than Bosa if the board falls right.

And apparently everyone has forgotten that Von Miller was suspended 6 games *after* he was in the league for the same exact drug.

I've often wondered if Bosa is better off as a 5-Tech. Whatever he is, he's a wonderful football player. Not a bad athlete at all, despite some of the overreaction.

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player_embed/7042/selected/graph/

I think it's garbage. Terrell Suggs ran a 4.8+ and went 10th overall, so that time means nothing...and as you mention, the 10-yard split is what matters.

He also tested extremely well in the bench, VJ, and broad. His 20-yard shuttle was equal to or better than several other recent edge defenders that went in the top 15.

Plus, I read Sal Cpaccio's tweet about how impressive Spence was in his interviews, which makes me believe that someone (maybe us) is trying to get him to fall...kind of like when we said that (a) Cordy Glenn couldn't play tackle, and (b) Kouandjio was off our board.

I've often wondered if Bosa is better off as a 5-Tech. Whatever he is, he's a wonderful football player. Not a bad athlete at all, despite some of the overreaction.

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player_embed/7042/selected/graph/

Yes to Bosa as a 5T