NFL.com: Buffalo Bills All-time underrated, overrated player

truth on hold

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underrated: Antowain Smith

Overrated: Rob Johnson

I'm not sure how Rob Johnson could possibly be overrated when he is one of the most shat upon QBs in Bills history. Unless you mean that people see him as a 3 out of 10 when he really was a 0.

Ben Gregory was acquired in a trade with Denver for Cookie Gilchrist. Al Bemiller the center was asked at a charity event how good was Gregory compared to Gilchrist? His response was Gregrory wasn't good enough to wear Cookie's jock strap. Gregory was a superb receiver for a back and was a very effective on swing passes.

I may be wrong but wasn't the fullback we received for Gilchrist Billy Joe? He sounds a lot like your description of Gregory though.

I think the most underrated of that era given his HUGE role in the AFC championships was tight end Ernie Warlick.

The most underrated player on defense was cornerback Robert James. He did make three pro bowls but I think the quality of his play was hall of fame worthy had he been on another team.

Overrated HAS to be Rob Johnson. Defensively I would go with Shane Nelson.

I may be wrong but wasn't the fullback we received for Gilchrist Billy Joe? He sounds a lot like your description of Gregory though.

I think the most underrated of that era given his HUGE role in the AFC championships was tight end Ernie Warlick.

The most underrated player on defense was cornerback Robert James. He did make three pro bowls but I think the quality of his play was hall of fame worthy had he been on another team.

We drafted Gregory, I believe, because he was a rookie with the Bills. And he was a good one.

Ben Gregory was acquired in a trade with Denver for Cookie Gilchrist. Al Bemiller the center was asked at a charity event how good was Gregory compared to Gilchrist? His response was Gregrory wasn't good enough to wear Cookie's jock strap. Gregory was a superb receiver for a back and was a very effective on swing passes.

You can't compare Gregory with Cookie as a runner because few compared to Cookie. Plus Gregory only played a short time with the Bills until he got injured. But he really impressed in that short period. I recall that the day after Gregory tore up his knee one of the News columnist stated that he was pretty distraught because he foresaw big things for Gregory. Speaking of Cookie, for those not familiar with that era, the day he arrived in camp he was driving a gold Cadillac convertible with "Lookie, lookie here comes Cookie" painted on the side.

Billy Brooks was underrated. He wasn't fast but he was fearless going over the middle, and he could catch the ball.

You are right and I am wrong. I apologize for the inaccuracy. The McCoy thread got me unhinged and dizzy. I agree with you that Robert James was a terrific corner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joe_(American_football)

We drafted Gregory, I believe, because he was a rookie with the Bills. And he was a good one.

You can't compare Gregory with Cookie as a runner because few compared to Cookie. Plus Gregory only played a short time with the Bills until he got injured. But he really impressed in that short period. I recall that the day after Gregory tore up his knee one of the News columnist stated that he was pretty distraught because he foresaw big things for Gregory. Speaking of Cookie, for those not familiar with that era, the day he arrived in camp he was driving a gold Cadillac convertible with "Lookie, lookie here comes Cookie" painted on the side.

Billy Brooks was underrated. He wasn't fast but he was fearless going over the middle, and he could catch the ball.

As I told TennesseBoy I was wrong when I stated that Gregory was involved in the trade for Cookie. It was Billie Joe who was involved in that transaction with Denver.

Lou Saban coaching Cookie was a very combustible dynamic! Lou couldn't stay at one place for too long. A very unique (eccentric) personality. If I'm not mistaken Pegula put him on the Wall with his daughters present. It was a generous gesture for such a mercurial man who had a meaningful presence in the history of the franchise.

Edited by JohnC