Janine Talley column in TBN: Sammy, Press as Motivation

I didn't expect to find out that you saying you ignored me was all for show. :lol:

Oh, you're on ignore. I just occasionally click the "read it anyway" and this was one of those occasions. ;)

Amazing. My post got deleted. Nothing in my post violated the terms of service. Guess some moderators can't handle the truth :)

The utter lack of class that you've displayed in this thread is, to me, sad. I was taught at an early age what to say publicly and what to keep to myself. Yes, your post was deleted because I'm trying to protect you from yourself. In the future, if you have an issue with board moderation take it to customer service or PM.

Not backtracking at all. I have no knowledge as to how they're living today. I can only go by the article that Graham wrote as a primary source. And in that article, it clearly states that the Talley's were (a) evicted from their home, (b) in dire financial straits, and © accepting money from friends and family to rent a posh home in a gated community overlooking a golf course.

My love for Daryl as a player notwithstanding, I find it hard to sympathize given their extravagant lifestyle in the face of financial hardship. His wife in particular was not in the least bit shy about seeking financial assistance from his former teammates (which is great). But, when she then spends it to afford herself a luxurious living situation in home overlooking a golf course, I question her intentions given the bigger issues that were in play.

And thanks, by the way, for engaging with me in a discussion about this rather than resorting to name calling. :)

You have direct knowledge of how they're living today, I provided it in the update that resurrected this thread. I can't speak to how they were living when Tim wrote the article, I didn't know them then. I can speak with first hand knowledge of how they are living since the fund and it's a home run of success.

Darryl is receiving ongoing treatment from the national CTE center in Boston. They have straightened out their finances and have purchased an affordable home that they can live in for the rest of their lives. Darryl is working for the Bills. Most importantly, Darryl is no longer suicidal and his life once again has purpose and meaning.

I don't know what else to say to you. I do know that the fans of the San Diego Chargers would give anything to get the same reports of progress about Junior Seau.

Who knows what the future will hold for Darryl, but for now a very proud man accepted money he never asked for and has used it precisely in the manner that his fan base hoped he would to turn his life around.

I'll close by saying that I spent two hours with the Talleys on Sunday and there were many expressions of thanks from them about the love and support displayed by this fan base. I left there feeling really good about what we accomplished and you, nor anyone else in the glass half empty crowd, aren't going to harsh that mellow.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Had a great brunch yesterday with Darryl and Janine Talley and the wife of former Bills safety Leonard Smith at the Left Bank.

We talked about a lot of things and shared some good laughs. Darryl looks great and the Talleys are doing absolutely wonderful. Thought you all might enjoy the update.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks, CVM. Conspicuous by its absence was any reference to 'HitMan' himself. How's he doing? He is a legend in these parts, (Lake Charles, LA)for his CFHOF career at McNeese State. As a Bills fan, it's great to live in a town that features pictures of him and Tom Sestak on posters in local diners! Loved him as a player! That crazy staph infection he contracted that kept him out of SBXXV -and I don't think he ever played again.. Would the outcome have been better with him in there? I wanna believe he'd have 'laid the smacketh down' on Ingram's 3rd & 13..

It is. Also they were able to buy an affordable house and get out from the upside/down rent scenario they were trapped in. Darryl is in a far better place than he was a year and a half ago and it is completely due to the Bills and Mountaineer fan bases.

Who knows what the future holds, but, right now, this story has a very happy ending.

Thank you all that circled the wagons for Darryl, you're all the cat's pajamas.

This is just so cool. I donate regularly to various non-profit causes that I know do good work, but it's pretty cool to make a small donation and see it be part of something that has an immediate positive impact.

You have direct knowledge of how they're living today, I provided it in the update that resurrected this thread. I can't speak to how they were living when Tim wrote the article, I didn't know them then. I can speak with first hand knowledge of how they are living since the fund and it's a home run of success.

Darryl is receiving ongoing treatment from the national CTE center in Boston. They have straightened out their finances and have purchased an affordable home that they can live in for the rest of their lives. Darryl is working for the Bills. Most importantly, Darryl is no longer suicidal and his life once again has purpose and meaning.

I don't know what else to say to you. I do know that the fans of the San Diego Chargers would give anything to get the same reports of progress about Junior Seau.

Who knows what the future will hold for Darryl, but for now a very proud man accepted money he never asked for and has used it precisely in the manner that his fan base hoped he would to turn his life around.

I'll close by saying that I spent two hours with the Talleys on Sunday and there were many expressions of thanks from them about the love and support displayed by this fan base. I left there feeling really good about what we accomplish and you, nor anyone else in the glass half empty crowd, aren't going to harsh that mellow.

[drops the mic]

:thumbsup: