2016 Draft Kicker Thread

Beerball

Obviously the longer distance XP got inside Carpenter's head last year.

If he can fix that, he should be okay. A full preseason will help, I think he was hurt most of last preseason and didn't get the time he needed to adjust to a new routine. Once the season started everything mushroomed instead of getting fixed. His FG kicking was decent last year.

That said, how much space do we open if we cut him and Gay and draft a rookie?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he can fix that, he should be okay. A full preseason will help, I think he was hurt most of last preseason and didn't get the time he needed to adjust to a new routine. Once the season started everything mushroomed instead of getting fixed. His FG kicking was decent last year.

It's more about another roster spot being available with a K who can handle both placement and kickoff duties with any cap savings being a bonus.

One guy not talked up at all is TCU's Jaden Oberkrom. Had a 60% touchback rate last season, was 21-of-25 on FG's.

Had a better statistical year in 2015 than Aguayo. Hit a TCU record breaking 57 yarder in his senior year. Was 100% on kicks over 50 yards (50, 53, 57),

Im using this in my mock draft. Nice find dude!

Over the summer, I'm going to dig into college stats for all NFL kickers. See if there's a general threshold for success.

Yes, I know I'm extremely nerdy.

Put some of this together this afternoon and it seems like there's no clear correlation between CFB stats and an NFL opportunity just yet. Still missing a few XP stats from small schoolers.

Taking into account all kickers on active rosters in 2015, their CFB averages are 75.9% FG's made and 97.4% XP made. Not gone into distance splits yet, which might be more telling.

Only 9 kickers had a FG% of 80 or above. Just 2 above 85% (Graham Gano & Steven Hauschka). Biggest outlier was Jacksonville's Jason Myers, converting just 63.2% at Marist.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I stand by my assertion that Sanborn struggled mightily last year and that had a lot to do with missed xps. Add in that he had an inexperienced holder and I don't put it all on Carpenter.

Best thing about jettisoning Mario is it frees up another roster spot to add a quality backup punter or maybe more importantly a kick-off ball holder. It's probably unrealistic to think that one guy could fill both of those positions, so hopefully Waylee will work some majik and open up another spot so we can fill these two critical positions with quality players. We're loaded at LB, Safety, and QB, so maybe he could look there.

I do have to say this about Chase. He does make a mean cup of coffee.

Agree. Do we really need more than one QB on the roster ?

Bring it!

I know it was earlier in his college career but not sure I want to draft a kicker who, during his first year, missed his first 3 extra points by kicking the ball into the heads of his offensive linemen

Also...

CBF

Bring shorter O'lineman and boom... problem solved

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

@AlbertBreer

Asked FSU K Roberto Aguayo if he had a round in mind as a goal, he said, "second." He thinks the new rules should help value of kickers.

@NFL_CFB

CollegeFootball 24/7 Retweeted Albert Breer

The thing about successfully drafting a kicker is the cost savings. Most teams get their kickers in free agency and good ones cost $3-5M per year. You can draft one in Round 4 or later and if he's good, he works for peanuts for 4-5 years.

Exactly. Where I'd take a kicker this year (6th round comp pick), his entire 4 year deal is less than Carpenter's 2016 cap hit. Cap hit doesn't rise above $565k for the duration of the rookie deal and less than $100k in guaranteed money if he flounders.

No need to draft a kicker. The new rule that touchbacks go to the 25 eliminates the need for Jordan Gay. Carp will need to earn his money this season doing KOs and PATs. We've got too many holes to waste a pick on a kicker.

It's actually increased the need for Jordan Gay, if anything. No longer will kickoff men be asked to exclusively boom touchbacks but kick off with direction and hangtime as well. Jordan Gay does that better than most in the NFL.

Then again, Danny Crossman is a moron and will probably waste him regardless.

It's actually increased the need for Jordan Gay, if anything. No longer will kickoff men be asked to exclusively boom touchbacks but kick off with direction and hangtime as well. Jordan Gay does that better than most in the NFL.

Then again, Danny Crossman is a moron and will probably waste him regardless.

If Carp doesn't do KOs even with this new rule, then he should be cut and give the whole job to Gay.

If Carp doesn't do KOs even with this new rule, then he should be cut and give the whole job to Gay.

It's the reason I'm so interested in drafting the right kicker this year. It'll make both of them expendable. Sadly, there's only 3 guys in the draft that I think fit the bill. One of them is being talked up as a Day 2 pick.

Unless they find a way to add a kicker, I think they have to carry both. Can't suffocate on D if you're giving teams easy yards on ST.

It's the reason I'm so interested in drafting the right kicker this year. It'll make both of them expendable. Sadly, there's only 3 guys in the draft that I think fit the bill. One of them is being talked up as a Day 2 pick.

Unless they find a way to add a kicker, I think they have to carry both. Can't suffocate on D if you're giving teams easy yards on ST.

With our holes at DE, DT, LB, CB, SS, FS, OL, and WR, I don't see how we can spend a pick on a kicker unless it's our last one. I think we're better off picking up a castoff or UDFA.