Anyone familiar with Rome, Italy?

Doc

We're doing a cruise out of Civitavecchia and will be staying in Rome for a few days afterwards and need some advice.

When I was in the Navy we ported in Palermo and where warned not use the hookers because they were probably guys.

(Never made it to Rome because my Boss was D!K and didn't let us out of work on time, Thanks D-bag.)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the Navy we ported in Palermo and where warned not use the hookers because they were probably guys.

(Never made it to Rome because my Boss was D!K and didn't let us out of work on time, Thanks D-bag.)

I'll make a note of that one.

We're doing a cruise out of Civitavecchia and will be staying in Rome for a few days afterwards and need some advice.

If anyone pinches your wife's bottom don't be insulted---it's meant as a compliment.

Keep close tabs on your wallet and your wife's purse. Prestigiditation is widely practiced there.

If a slick looking and talking street salesman offers you a deal on a Rolex watch decline the offer, quickly pivot and head in the opposite direction.

If a pack of ragged young gypsies surround you and start clutching and grabbing yell polzi

Drink the vino in copious amounts. It won't hurt you. It will make you happy. :thumbsup:

Rome is an absolutely wonderful city. do the Vatican/Sistine chapel tour.(don't be intimidated by the long lines- they move pretty quickly) Visiting the ruins @ the forum is a must. The Colosseum interior is surprisingly similar to a 20th. c. stadium.

The food is terrific EVERYWHERE. A favorite eatery is L'Orso 80.(You can find the address online) Order the Antipasto, and a bottle of wine. That's all that you'll need, and the experience will be quite enjoyable!

Thanks. Was planning on seeing all those sites. Will have to keep L'Orso in mind.

If anyone pinches your wife's bottom don't be insulted---it's meant as a compliment.

Keep close tabs on your wallet and your wife's purse. Prestigiditation is widely practiced there.

If a slick looking and talking street salesman offers you a deal on a Rolex watch decline the offer, quickly pivot and head in the opposite direction.

If a pack of ragged young gypsies surround you and start clutching and grabbing yell polzi

Drink the vino in copious amounts. It won't hurt you. It will make you happy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that advice as well. Except I don't like vino.

What is weird? And I'm looking for any advice and people have obliged. Thanks all.

Weird in that I posted a comment here in a different thread Friday night about a tour I took in Rome, and then found your thread asking for advice visiting Rome.

I asked for specifics because there is a lot of things to discuss about Rome. But I'll take a little time here to give you my little bit of knowledge.

1) Rome is to Italy what Anaheim near Disney is to California. It's full-on tourism, with people shoving selfie sticks, etc. in your face and selling tchotchke crap everywhere you turn.

2) We did two tours there, and recommend both. We booked a Coliseum tour through Viator and were glad to pay to bypass the lines. You trail a guide wearing a headset, can keep pretty good distance from the group while still hearing the guide, and they not only get you in and out, but really do a great job of getting you good information, ideal photo spots, etc.

3) We did a 3-hour food tour that was probably our favorite time in Rome. The guide took us through the Camp de Fiori' market, away from the tourists, and tasted oils, cheeses, meats, gelato, and ended up at a place making our own pizzas. I can't find the company we used at a quick glance, but if you're interested, let me know and I'll dig deeper.

4) The Vatican is amazing, but it's crazy crowded no matter what day you go, so just keep that in mind.

5) You spend almost all your time on foot, and getting lost is easy. The Google maps app saved our bacon the entire time we were in Italy. So did good hiking boots.

6) We had no issues with anyone trying to pick our pockets, etc., but I also kept my wallet in my front pocket.

7) There is no such thing as bad gelato.

Weird in that I posted a comment here in a different thread Friday night about a tour I took in Rome, and then found your thread asking for advice visiting Rome.

I asked for specifics because there is a lot of things to discuss about Rome. But I'll take a little time here to give you my little bit of knowledge.

1) Rome is to Italy what Anaheim near Disney is to California. It's full-on tourism, with people shoving selfie sticks, etc. in your face and selling tchotchke crap everywhere you turn.

2) We did two tours there, and recommend both. We booked a Coliseum tour through Viator and were glad to pay to bypass the lines. You trail a guide wearing a headset, can keep pretty good distance from the group while still hearing the guide, and they not only get you in and out, but really do a great job of getting you good information, ideal photo spots, etc.

3) We did a 3-hour food tour that was probably our favorite time in Rome. The guide took us through the Camp de Fiori' market, away from the tourists, and tasted oils, cheeses, meats, gelato, and ended up at a place making our own pizzas. I can't find the company we used at a quick glance, but if you're interested, let me know and I'll dig deeper.

4) The Vatican is amazing, but it's crazy crowded no matter what day you go, so just keep that in mind.

5) You spend almost all your time on foot, and getting lost is easy. The Google maps app saved our bacon the entire time we were in Italy. So did good hiking boots.

6) We had no issues with anyone trying to pick our pockets, etc., but I also kept my wallet in my front pocket.

7) There is no such thing as bad gelato.

Gotcha. Missed that post. And thanks for the advice. No need to dig for the food tour but the offer is appreciated.

For anyone that did a cruise and got in the day before, where did you stay and what did you do to get to the port? This one might be a longshot.

we left Catavehhia(sp) on a 7 day cruise in June. Arrived in Rome on a Thursday morning and cruise left Saturday afternoon. Stayed in Boscola Palace, and it was great location. Picked in as it used to be affiliated with Marriot and we could use points, but that is no longer the case. We were 8 people so rented a van to drive us from there to the port, and it is quite a hike...a good hour away from central Rome. So plan accordingly. I think a cab will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 Euro...i know there are train options, but i did not investigate as we were in the van.

This may be crazy, but i hated the Vatican. Massive crowds of people video recording as they are walking into you, massive lines, and that was with a private tour guide..

Loved all the ancient Roman sites way more...and loved the restaurants. Wen to the Trastevere(sp) neighborhood and just strolled around stopped in a few places for drinks and cheese, then a cool tucked away from tourist place for dinner place for dinner, and another place for coffee and desert. Great little neighborhhod off the beaten patch from tourists. We did one of the open air bus tours around 5 first night there, the two hours were a perfect intro to the city.

Also, read the public transit system is not great...we used UBeR exclusively when we were there. And i usually prefer to explore using public transport.

Edited by plenzmd1

So after using the weekend, we're currently planning on staying overnight at a Hilton about 4 km from the airport. Free shuttle to get there and it's 299 euros. We're looking at a transport company that will take us to our ship for 150 euros. When we come back, we're looking at renting a place near Trevi Fountain. Is that a good place or should be look somewhere else?

So after using the weekend, we're currently planning on staying overnight at a Hilton about 4 km from the airport. Free shuttle to get there and it's 299 euros. We're looking at a transport company that will take us to our ship for 150 euros. When we come back, we're looking at renting a place near Trevi Fountain. Is that a good place or should be look somewhere else?

150 euro sounds expensive for the ride to the port... Have you looked on tripadvisor for suggestions? I can't remember what we paid port to airport, but it was a ton less than what cruise provided as we were 4 going that way. Will check with wife and she if she remembers.

My only suggestion whenever traveling abroad is that local hotels can be much cheaper than American chains, and to me are more fun. Yep , elevater may not fit two and luggage, bathroom may be small, but if not using points can be a much more fun and more affordable experience.

Also, I am a huge proponent of Priceline/Hotwire for hotels. Not sure when you are going, but I plugged a random June date in Priceline express deals for Rome Airport and a 4 star hotel came up for $88 dollars... Yes dollars. And you can absolutely trust their star rating. That's like a $200 saving you can buy beers with in the cruise! Like a whole day of drinking!

Edited by plenzmd1

Hey Doc,

I apologize for not responding yet, I'm in Vegas, will get to your questions with my experience soon.

No worries. Still have plenty of time before the vaca..

150 euro sounds expensive for the ride to the port... Have you looked on tripadvisor for suggestions? I can't remember what we paid port to airport, but it was a ton less than what cruise provided as we were 4 going that way. Will check with wife and she if she remembers.

My only suggestion whenever traveling abroad is that local hotels can be much cheaper than American chains, and to me are more fun. Yep , elevater may not fit two and luggage, bathroom may be small, but if not using points can be a much more fun and more affordable experience.

Also, I am a huge proponent of Priceline/Hotwire for hotels. Not sure when you are going, but I plugged a random June date in Priceline express deals for Rome Airport and a 4 star hotel came up for $88 dollars... Yes dollars. And you can absolutely trust their star rating. That's like a $200 saving you can buy beers with in the cruise! Like a whole day of drinking!

Thanks for looking into the transport company. The one I mentioned can actually get you into the port whereas most others you need to take a shuttle to get into it. Or at least that's what they claim.

And I'll check out P/Hw. But I kind of like the idea of renting a house/apt.

No worries. Still have plenty of time before the vaca..

Thanks for looking into the transport company. The one I mentioned can actually get you into the port whereas most others you need to take a shuttle to get into it. Or at least that's what they claim.

And I'll check out P/Hw. But I kind of like the idea of renting a house/apt.

absolutely renting a place would be awesome...I was just referring to the night you are staying in the Hilton near the airport. I assume you are not planning to go into Rome that day? I have always found farting around a bit till mid-afternoon, then a nap of 1 hr(nd not more than 90 minutes) gets me through to 10:30 or so, then I am good to go next day!

Also, do oyu look into staying at Caltavechhia(sp) . We did not stay there, but looked like a decent seaside town and maybe a bit more to do there than at airport?

The #1 thing I learned while in Italy:

Lines are a suggestion. If someone cuts in front of you, it's your fault for leaving a gap. Italians will be mad at you, and not the line jumper. Learn to let it go. Americans are considered "nice" for a reason; everyone else is rude.

PS> Skip the Vatican unless you're Catholic; then you have no choice.

Edited by unbillievable

The #1 thing I learned while in Italy:

Lines are a suggestion. If someone cuts in front of you, it's your fault for leaving a gap. Italians will be mad at you, and not the line jumper. Learn to let it go. Americans are considered "nice" for a reason; everyone else is rude.

PS> Skip the Vatican unless you're Catholic; then you have no choice.

Almost got in fight at the Coliseum over someone cutting us LOL.

and I thought I was the only one who would say skip the Vatican.

Almost got in fight at the Coliseum over someone cutting us LOL.

and I thought I was the only one who would say skip the Vatican.

Climbing the stairs to the top of San Pietro is amazing. Such a beautiful view of the city.

Be aware that some switches (even around the bed) shut off ALL electricity, and not just the lamps.

I was taking a shower when someone hit the switch; total darkness with shampoo in my hair. -try getting out of a bathtub, while slippery, in total darkness.

That cord above the bathtub is to let the front desk know you've fallen and can't get up. (yes I pulled it) The desk told us that they generally ignore that signal when it's a tourists room, which they did this time too.

Also, most hotels require a card key-holder to keep the electricity on in the room. Don't be surprised if your electronics have not charged (and the room is a sauna) when you return. The worst ones have timers too.

Edited by unbillievable

Also, most hotels require a card key-holder to keep the electricity on in the room. Don't be surprised if your electronics have not charged (and the room is a sauna) when you return. The worst ones have timers too.

Seen that in China and England. Anything shoved in that slot will keep the power going. I used one of those subscription cards you find in magazines.