[closed]Help me understand that LA Situation

Virgil

I understand that LA is a major city and they should probably have a team. What I don't understand is how a city that doesn't have 1 team can all of a sudden be considered viable to host 2 teams?

I don't know the reasons the Rams and Raiders left before. I know it's about stadiums to a degree, but that can't be all of it. And they were also in different stadiums.

I also get the impression that the Rams owner is a bit of an !@#$ who just wants to get our of St. Louis by saying it's not a 3 sports city. I don't buy that personally.

In any case, is all of this just the money grab that it seems to be? I hate to see a city lose it's team and honestly it's a bit of a joke to me, all the back and forth from LA. I have no reason to believe they won't be leaving again in 15 years

LA fans are very indifferent to football. Too many other things going on in that city for them to care. They get their football fix from USC or UCLA. Plus a lot of the population are transplants that already have a favorite NFL team. The only reason they are getting 2 teams is because they can share a new stadium and the population supports having 2 teams. However I forsee a lot of empty seats in that brand new shiny stadium

I live here and there is not a huge cry from the citizens for the teams to move here at all. I imagine, however, that corporations and enough people will buy the tickets for the first several years in a new stadium and they will be mostly full. Who knows after that. Putting them in outdated, historic, but ultimately crappy stadiums for three seasons is ridiculous, IMO, and won't help building any interest in these teams. Chances are very good, Inglewood will be the choice, which is not the best part of town although fairly easy access. I don't see a lot of Los Angelenos really caring about the Chargers or the Rams.

Your instinct is correct, IMO.

LA is not a good NFL football city. Many people in LA were not raised there following a team.. they're transplants from other parts of the country (or Mexico, Guuatemala), and they remain loyal to their childhood football team.

The way that I look at this is that So. Cal. is gaining one NFL team, which makes sense. The Chargers are moving because they're going to lose a huge portion of their market to the new LA team if they don't. Incidentally, St. Louis is a baseball town through and through. I'll be sad for their football fans if they relocate though. That sucks.

Edited by BarleyNY

The way that I look at this is that So. Cal. is gaining one NFL team, which makes sense. The Chargers are moving because they're going to lose a huge portion of their market to the new LA team if they don't. Incidentally, St. Louis is a baseball town through and through. I'll be sad for their football fans if they relocate though. That sucks.

I very much doubt any substantial portion of the LA based Charger fandom would suddenly start rooting for the Rams or Raiders instead of the Chargers if the Chargers stayed in SD.

Rams - Kroenke is going for the money grab of having a team in LA. He owns some prime real estate already for a NFL stadium and if he's putting up his own money to build it he wants it in LA instead of St. Louis.

Chargers - You are right on, they are panicked about another team moving in and eating into the fanbase they've established in LA. There's also no money coming from San Diego to build a stadium.

Raiders - Being the Raiders, they don't want to build a brand new stadium across the bay from San Fran's new stadium and would like to share the space with the Chargers. The Broncos and Chiefs are said to be against the Raiders/Chargers sharing a stadium as it ultimately amounts to an extra home game for each team every year. Personally I think the Raiders would likely go wherever someone would give the most money to build a stadium. I know their ties are with Oakland-LA but IMO they've make a lot of sense to move them into a new stadium in St. Louis.

In a nutshell, the Chargers and Raiders want a new stadium and don't want to pay for it. If someone is moving to LA Kroenke wants to be the one to cash in on it.

Rams - Kroenke is going for the money grab of having a team in LA. He owns some prime real estate already for a NFL stadium and if he's putting up his own money to build it he wants it in LA instead of St. Louis.

Chargers - You are right on, they are panicked about another team moving in and eating into the fanbase they've established in LA. There's also no money coming from San Diego to build a stadium.

Raiders - Being the Raiders, they don't want to build a brand new stadium across the bay from San Fran's new stadium and would like to share the space with the Chargers. The Broncos and Chiefs are said to be against the Raiders/Chargers sharing a stadium as it ultimately amounts to an extra home game for each team every year. Personally I think the Raiders would likely go wherever someone would give the most money to build a stadium. I know their ties are with Oakland-LA but IMO they've make a lot of sense to move them into a new stadium in St. Louis.

In a nutshell, the Chargers and Raiders want a new stadium and don't want to pay for it. If someone is moving to LA Kroenke wants to be the one to cash in on it.

How is it a money grab for Kroenke? Relocation and new stadium could cost 2 billion. Even with psl's etc. it's a huge chunk.