Cowherd Rant About Nick Saban

Saban's wife would never live in Buffalo. She didn't even like Miami. She wants to be the belle of the ball in some SEC college town. He's a good coach but I don't see him back in NFL.

This is the biggest factor in any decision he makes about the future. She handles everything outside of football and has a very strong opinion about how her husband should be viewed and treated. He will never get the kind of controlled environment he has at Bama. She insisted on and received what amounts to a royal family like setting. She hated Miami -- it went far beyond what was portrayed in the media at that time -- simply put--she will never be satisfied with the lack of control she would have in any NFL franchise unless she had an "owners" like say. That is not happening in Buffalo or anywhere else.

15-17 in the NFL.

Nick Saban might just be the greatest college coach that ever lived. In the NFL he is just a guy.

He knows that. He is not coming back.

Better comparison may be Pete Carroll. Sucked as an nfl coach for the pats, perfected his craft in college and dominated for years, then returned to nfl and did very well.

Marrone comparison is asinine as he has never dominated at anything. Just took a mediocre college team and made them an average to above average college team. Did the same thing with the bills.

Saban was also an NFL coach with Darth Belichick before he went to the dark side.

Saban could be very successful in the NFL. In Miami his QBs were:

Dante Culpepper who came in with a busted up knee and never recovered

Joey "cutie pie" Harrington

Cleo Lemon

In light of that, a 15-17 record looks amazing.

Better comparison may be Pete Carroll. Sucked as an nfl coach for the pats, perfected his craft in college and dominated for years, then returned to nfl and did very well.

There are two important differences for me in comparing Carroll to Saban.

First - in 4 years as an NFL HC Carroll was actually 33-31 he had a 6-10 with the Jets followed by two winning seasons and an 8-8 in New England.

Second - he was FIRED. He didn't quit and run off to college. He was fired - college was the way to rebuild his reputation. Part of the reason I am so convinced Saban would not be a successful NFL Head Coach is because of the way he quit and ran away in Miami as soon as it got hard.

As for people listing the QBs he had.... that excuse doesn't get made for anyone else does it? Marrone had Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and Kyle Orton... Pettine had Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw, McCown, Davis..... There are plenty of NFL Head Coaches who have been sunk by bad Quarterback play... but the one guy who seems to get the benefit of the doubt is Nick Saban. He gets it because of what he has done in college and in my opinion that counts for diddly squat in the pros.