Pettine and Schwartz are NOT COMING BACK

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't consider a drop of a third of the league in points and half of the league in yards off the cliff? Not quite sure how I respond to that.

And whilst I am not pinning my argument to the sacks stat - we didn't just get worse in points and yards...

We got worse in:

Yards

3rd down

Redzone

Sacks

Turnovers

When you put that all together.... it looks like a cliff has been fallen off to me.

And you don't think that losing three times as many defensive starts could by a major factor in that?

You'll be hard pressed to recognize 4-8 guys on this defense today, on any given play.

Can I just say - I accept that the 2014 health was abnormal... and I did expect a mild regression. This hasn't been that - it has been a falling off the cliff and frankly I believe there is almost no chance that would have happened under Schwartz and you can't prove it would. You can prove you point on health you can't prove your point on it making Schwartz's defense anywhere near as bad as Rex's.

interestingly I totally think the D regression was the biggest problem this year (injuries and Mario a part of that, not really 100 percent blaming scheme). But as I thought back over the season, I don't think it was that bad. In the ranking, yes. But never cared about stats and rankings (I know others do. It's just how I've always been). Week 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13, 16 were all strong defensive performances overall IMO. It isn't like they were terrible all year. The lack of communication and penalties were there fairly consistently, but high number of penalties weren't every week. Last time they played the jets they had 5. I think they had about 6 vs Houston. 4 vs Tennessee. Personally I think it's enough to build on with some tweaks to better fit the scheme. I'm sure everyone disagrees and that's fine, just my opinion as always.

And you don't think that losing three times as many defensive starts could by a major factor in that?

You'll be hard pressed to recognize 4-8 guys on this defense today, on any given play.

Woah... now you are changing your argument again....

First it was "there is a lot if injuries" I said yes there is but I still don't think you have anything to support your assertion that in the same circumstances Schwartz's defense would have fallen off a cliff.

Then you said it hadn't fallen off a cliff.... When I proved it had you went back to "oh that is all the injuries."

You are going round in circles trying to defend the indefensible. We have had bad injuries but I don't think the injuries explain go very far towards describing the dropping off the cliff across so many categories and I still think Schwartz would have coped better.

The final point on the injury argument is that if the defense had just fallen away the last 3 or 4 weeks when we started having to trot out Reddick and play Lawson inside and start Butler and Meeks then I might have been more sympathetic. Through 12 weeks the only injured starters on the defense were Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams and we still ranked consistently between 16th and 20th. After week 2 the highest we have ever ranked in yards is 16th.

Edited by GunnerBill

The only scenario I see a pettine return is if his dismissal from Cleveland hurts him so bad he can't find work as a DC or HC anywhere and Rex extends a Marrone/jags deal where he's given shelter with a positional gig/assistant HC while he awaits his next shot. It won't be as DC, and it won't be long term, and it won't do much to defensive crisis the team faces in any case.

Scwartz and wrecks are so polar opposite in defensive philosophy i don't think they could make it through a film session together much less any professional hierarchy.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Woah... now you are changing your argument again....

First it was "there is a lot if injuries" I said yes there is but I still don't think you have anything to support your assertion that in the same circumstances Schwartz's defense would have fallen off a cliff.

Then you said it hadn't fallen off a cliff.... When I proved it had you went back to "oh that is all the injuries."

You are going round in circles trying to defend the indefensible. We have had bad injuries but I don't think the injuries explain go very far towards describing the dropping off the cliff across so many categories and I still think Schwartz would have coped better.

The final point on the injury argument is that if the defense had just fallen away the last 3 or 4 weeks when we started having to trot out Reddick and play Lawson inside and start Butler and Meeks then I might have been more sympathetic. Through 12 weeks the only injured starters on the defense were Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams and we still ranked consistently between 16th and 20th. After week 2 the highest we have ever ranked in yards is 16th.

I don't change my arguments.

Great Post. So sick of fans asking for things that won't happen. If you don't like Rex then hope he is fired after next year.

I don't dislike Rex... and I don't hope he gets fired next year because I hope we have a winning record next year and make the play-offs. I am not that optimistic we will but I won't start hoping for the Bills to lose in any game until we are 0-6 or 1-7 or thereabouts (and I certainly don't think we will be there next year)... and then I'll start hoping we end up with the first overall pick.

Edited by GunnerBill

So please stop saying it. They're like ex-girlfriends who had flaws that we now overlook because our current girlfriend has become a nightmare.

But they're not coming back. Never, ever. Get it through your heads.

Schwartz's value has never been higher - thanks to Rex Ryan. No way he's coming back here to let Ryan destroy his value.

Pettine and Ryan never really got along, and Pettine doesn't need to crawl back into Ryan's shadow. He's already built his reputation, whatever it's worth.

I'm sick and tired of reading posts that talk about bringing back Pettine or Schwartz. They're stupid and they're cluttering up the board. From now on, each poster who posts about bringing back Pettine or Schwartz owes me $1. I'll come find you.

Stop the madness. They're never coming back.

thank you.

This is a new meme, but I've never seen any reports that it is the case. As I understand it, Rex was a big backer of Pettine getting the Cleveland job.

Yup, never heard that. Sense I got was that Pettine was the fall guy for the defense slipping a bit in 2012. Maybe that's what happens to Henderson this year?

BTW, who coached Giants' D this year?

I don't dislike Rex... and I don't hope he gets fired next year because I hope we have a winning record next year and make the play-offs. I am not that optimistic we will but I won't start hoping for the Bills to lose in any game until we are 0-6 or 1-7 or thereabouts (and I certainly don't think we will be there next year)... and then I'll start hoping we end up with the first overall pick.

I am in no camp. Not sold on Ryan next year but also not pining for the past. Rex should get the blame for Marcel Dareus. If he wanted a NT why did the Bills not get one?

Can't really blame Rex for Mario or Kyle.

I am fine with building a 3-4 defense now just want to see the plan executed correctly.

So please stop saying it. They're like ex-girlfriends who had flaws that we now overlook because our current girlfriend has become a nightmare.

But they're not coming back. Never, ever. Get it through your heads.

Schwartz's value has never been higher - thanks to Rex Ryan. No way he's coming back here to let Ryan destroy his value.

Pettine and Ryan never really got along, and Pettine doesn't need to crawl back into Ryan's shadow. He's already built his reputation, whatever it's worth.

I'm sick and tired of reading posts that talk about bringing back Pettine or Schwartz. They're stupid and they're cluttering up the board. From now on, each poster who posts about bringing back Pettine or Schwartz owes me $1. I'll come find you.

Stop the madness. They're never coming back.

Coach- I couldn't agree more, but can we add to that $1 offering the next time in the off season some bonehead talks about a trade for Rivers, Rodgers, bringing back Favre, and every other suggestion that is moronic, and absolutely will never happen.

Just sayin.