Article: Where did Rex go wrong in his first season in Bflo?

YoloinOhio

Were you not happy with how the defense played in the rematch with NE?

I'll chime in, I actually was happy w the defense in the rematch w NE. It was very effective in disrupting Brady and the flow of the offense. What bothered me was after the game Ryan said "that's our D, that's what your going to see". Then we never saw it again, it disappeared like a mirage. WTF?

I agree that mostly this article points out that Wrex didn't know how to recognize the 'straight up one on one we'll beat you' type talent that our defense had, and instead assumed that the only way to make it better (we'll be number one!), was to implement a bunch of trickery. Trickery that was confusing to our big dogs that just want to feast on the QB. I don't see him changing in his view that the best way to beat today's offenses is to confuse them. He seems to feel an innate desire to outsmart (perhaps because he can't stand everyone talking about how smart Bellichek is). But fact is, he does not seem smart enough to change his perspective. For that reason, I think we are better off cutting our losses and him.

Edited by Georgia Bill

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/3/20/8243681/the-attacking-8-3-defense-counterpoint-to-the-spread-option-offense-boise-state-BYU

this is an old article that may help some of you understand the challenge of spread offenses, and some defensive adaptations designed to defend them.

you may recognize some of what the author is describing.

It's sole purpose isn't to manufacture pressure.. it's designed to confuse the offense by making their reads harder.

I'm not defending Rex, as I said earlier in this thread - he grossly miscalculated his ability to implement this sophisticated system. but I think Bills fans should understand why he failed

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/3/20/8243681/the-attacking-8-3-defense-counterpoint-to-the-spread-option-offense-boise-state-BYU

this is an old article that may help some of you understand the challenge of spread offenses, and some defensive adaptations designed to defend them.

you may recognize some of what the author is describing.

It's sole purpose isn't to manufacture pressure.. it's designed to confuse the offense by making their reads harder.

I'm not defending Rex, as I said earlier in this thread - he grossly miscalculated his ability to implement this sophisticated system. but I think Bills fans should understand why he failed

Thanks for trying to add some reasoned analysis to this emotion-driven debate. Is it reasonable to assume the Bills didn't have the skill-types needed in the "3" part?

Thanks for trying to add some reasoned analysis to this emotion-driven debate. Is it reasonable to assume the Bills didn't have the skill-types needed in the "3" part?

i don't believe so. i think Rex saw the talent level he was inheriting, and thought that the marriage of his new system to these players would create a flexible defense that could attack where it was game planned to attack, and force an offense to respond. the failure of the staff and players to implement the new system led to confusion, blown assignments, and frustration. this was a unit that had known success doing things differently - but that's not to say they would continue that success.

edit - so maybe some will appreciate the idea behind what Rex was attempting, even though it's failure may have cost us the playoffs.

Edited by BackInDaDay

very good read, but too soft on Dinosaurus Rex. If he hasn't "evolved" at this point in his career, he never will. Dump him now, Pegs!

And how do we replace him?

As Trapasso points out, churning through coaches, and rethinking hires after investing so much in them not even a year prior is not a very productive way of luring new coaching talent.

This article is so dead on. Balanced and thoughtful. And right. Losing Aaron and Kyle Williams early and for the season was huge on a team learning a new defense. Also, the only two leaders on the defense, removed. Injuries are massive swing variables in this league; yeah yeah, Steelers and Pats got through, but 49ers last year, Colts and Cowboys this year were destroyed by injuries to key guys. Cinci got to 10-0 bc they had not one serious injury, not one. Just sayin' now they are screwed with Dalton out. Redskins are better now that a half a dozen key guys are back playing. Injuries matter, either lots of them, or injuries to key guys. We win the London game with a healthy backfield, no question, for example.

Mario is what he is. No one thought he'd make it past this year. He hated when Wade had him as a stand up LB in Houston too. He's just not happy if he isn't the feature pass rusher guy. he's perfect as a 3-4 edge setting DE, but the big, slow baby doesn't "want to do THAT". Baby. As the article says, Rex had him perfectly positioned for this stage of his career, and the big baby pooped on it. I hate that the player contracts have the guaranteed $$. Was better years ago when if you didn't want a guy, you cut him with no $$ implications going forward.

Rex will adjust for 2016 now that he is seeing that QBs are getting it out more quickly. But he won't adjust mid season after just spending an entire offseason teaching the defense to his new team. He knows what his guys can do now. This doesn't get fixed in one season.

Marrone wanted a multi year commitment from the new owner and the new owner would not give it to him. Marrone and Schwartz could have been here this year just fine. Pegs forced Marrone's hand. Marrone was smart to build an escape hatch to get through after Ralph died and "who knows who your next boss will be". Pegs is the answer to everyone's complaints. He triggered everything getting blown up by looking sideways at Marrone a year ago. Maybe that was the right thing to do, but then fans don't get to complain that the new coach "didn't use the same system the old coach used", that never happens . Coaches build scheme philosophies over years and years, they know what then want to do, if the players don't fit, the coach still has what he wants to do and he will use his scheme as the first course of action naturally. If you didn't like Rex's defensive exotica, then don't hire the guy, because thats what he is going to execute first. Well, the guy who saved the franchise for WNY picked Rex. Fans' complaints are with Pegs , not Rex. Rex is doing what Rex does just like every other coach. He will adjust for next year now that he has learned his players and his opposition. I am not that concerned.

This article is so dead on. Balanced and thoughtful. And right. Losing Aaron and Kyle Williams early and for the season was huge on a team learning a new defense. Also, the only two leaders on the defense, removed. Injuries are massive swing variables in this league; yeah yeah, Steelers and Pats got through, but 49ers last year, Colts and Cowboys this year were destroyed by injuries to key guys. Cinci got to 10-0 bc they had not one serious injury, not one. Just sayin' now they are screwed with Dalton out. Redskins are better now that a half a dozen key guys are back playing. Injuries matter, either lots of them, or injuries to key guys. We win the London game with a healthy backfield, no question, for example.

Mario is what he is. No one thought he'd make it past this year. He hated when Wade had him as a stand up LB in Houston too. He's just not happy if he isn't the feature pass rusher guy. he's perfect as a 3-4 edge setting DE, but the big, slow baby doesn't "want to do THAT". Baby. As the article says, Rex had him perfectly positioned for this stage of his career, and the big baby pooped on it. I hate that the player contracts have the guaranteed $$. Was better years ago when if you didn't want a guy, you cut him with no $$ implications going forward.

Rex will adjust for 2016 now that he is seeing that QBs are getting it out more quickly. But he won't adjust mid season after just spending an entire offseason teaching the defense to his new team. He knows what his guys can do now. This doesn't get fixed in one season.

Marrone wanted a multi year commitment from the new owner and the new owner would not give it to him. Marrone and Schwartz could have been here this year just fine. Pegs forced Marrone's hand. Marrone was smart to build an escape hatch to get through after Ralph died and "who knows who your next boss will be". Pegs is the answer to everyone's complaints. He triggered everything getting blown up by looking sideways at Marrone a year ago. Maybe that was the right thing to do, but then fans don't get to complain that the new coach "didn't use the same system the old coach used", that never happens . Coaches build scheme philosophies over years and years, they know what then want to do, if the players don't fit, the coach still has what he wants to do and he will use his scheme as the first course of action naturally. If you didn't like Rex's defensive exotica, then don't hire the guy, because thats what he is going to execute first. Well, the guy who saved the franchise for WNY picked Rex. Fans' complaints are with Pegs , not Rex. Rex is doing what Rex does just like every other coach. He will adjust for next year now that he has learned his players and his opposition. I am not that concerned.

wgr brought up the question this morning: is the fact that Mario says they don't have the ideal personnel to most effectively run this defense actually good news? Like, there is hope that given a NT, new MLB, new Safety... It actually can be much better? It would be worse if they insisted they had the right players in place at every position (like they are claiming in Cleveland), and that they just need to "keep working." Edited by YoloinOhio

wgr brought up the question this morning: is the fact that Mario says they don't have the ideal personnel to most effectively run this defense actually good news? Like, there is hope that given a NT, new MLB, new Safety... It actually can be much better?

I believe in trusting the coach. Rex clearly stated that he expected the #1 defense in the league with this roster, so there is no reason to start second guessing him. He's the genius after all....he's the one who really should know what makes his defense tick, shouldn't he?

I believe in trusting the coach. Rex clearly stated that he expected the #1 defense in the league with this roster, so there is no reason to start second guessing him. He's the genius after all....he's the one who really should know what makes his defense tick, shouldn't he?

no, I don't really put much stock in what he or most coaches say publically actually. Especially him. He should be in the Lego Movie. "everything is awesome... Everything is cool when you're part of a team..." Edited by YoloinOhio

no, I don't really put much stock in what he or most coaches say publically actually. Especially him. He should be in the Lego Movie. "everything is awesome... Everything is cool when you're part of a team..."

Yeah, I was being facetious. I was attempting to make the point (in a backhanded manner) that Rex was either incompetent in his thoughts, or outright lied when he joined the Bills. We locked up the players that Rex was pontificating and virtually salivating over.....only to find out that, no, we don't have the personel to be a dominating defense under Rex, and the supposed dominating defensive roster now has to be pulled apart in order for Rex to work his magic.

Yeah, I was being facetious. I was attempting to make the point (in a backhanded manner) that Rex was either incompetent in his thoughts, or outright lied when he joined the Bills. We locked up the players that Rex was pontificating and virtually salivating over.....only to find out that, no, we don't have the personel to be a dominating defense under Rex, and the supposed dominating defensive roster now has to be pulled apart in order for Rex to work his magic.

There isn't anyone on D who they "locked up" after he was hired who needs to go. Dareus, Hughes, Robey. They all fit just fine and played well. Dareus would benefit from adding a NT...so he's freed up from space eating and can get to the QB... but in no way does it imply he is going anywhere. Mario is gone, they won't resign Bradham, McKelvin is gone. All money and production related, regardless of scheme. I think all would have been gone anyway. Mario didn't want to restructure. You can draft a LB to replace Bradham for much cheaper, McKelvin isn't worth the cap hit after Darby's ascent.

I don't care about rankings or stats, I just care about wins. It didn't matter to me what he said about where the defense would be ranked. Meaningless, like most of what he says.

Edited by YoloinOhio

.....Mario didn't want to restructure.....

Just on this part....

I've seen that comment bandied around here recently and it seems contrary to my recolections. As I recall, Mario publically stated several times that he was happy to restructure(when cap issues were raised about resigning and extending Hughes and Dareus).

Was there an article or quote that I missed somewhere on this topic?

Just on this part....

I've seen that comment bandied around here recently and it seems contrary to my recolections. As I recall, Mario publically stated several times that he was happy to restructure(when cap issues were raised about resigning and extending Hughes and Dareus).

Was there an article or quote that I missed somewhere on this topic?

he was asked in August if he would restructure and he asked why would he do that, he signed a contract. He was then asked if he wanted to retire in Buffalo and he said that he was too young to even think about retirement. Sal Capaccio actually just brought up that quote the other day on radio. I actually have never seen him publically state he was happy to restructure, but if he did, he must have changed his mind as far as what is in his best interest.

More importantly, a simple restructure won't provide cap relief based on how his contract is set up. They would need to extend him. And he would need to agree to an extension.

Edited by YoloinOhio

he was asked in August if he would restructure and he asked why would he do that, he signed a contract. He was then asked if he wanted to retire in Buffalo and he said that he was too young to even think about retirement. Sal Capaccio actually just brought up that quote the other day on radio. I actually have never seen him publically state he was happy to restructure, but if he did, he must have changed his mind as far as what is in his best interest.

More importantly, a simple restructure won't provide cap relief based on how his contract is set up. They would need to extend him. And he would need to agree to an extension.

Thanks for that.

He definitely had said(prior to being disenfranchised by Rex's system...so to speak) ...on more than one occassion, that he was very happy to restructure to keep the gang together.

On the aside, I was never happy with that concept(for strictly money/cap reasons), and was pleased we found a way to sign guys without restructuring Mario.

A really good article and as noted above, balanced. I'm not a big Rex fan but think it silly to fire him after one year. If the team craps the bed again next season then there could be a strong case for change IMO.

What makes it silly? Losing horses generally remain losing horses. Why prolong the agony?

Trade Williams, get a middle rounder for the bum. Then, see what is out there for an LB. Don't over pay on Tyrod.

I am upset with the bag of goods we got from Rex this year, but I suggest that he gets another shot at it, with his guys in his schemes. If it doesn't work next fall, the hot seat will be on fire.