The Real Reason the Defense Has Struggled

Flip Johnson

It's both. I'm saying he had to do one or the other and he did neither. He created a new defense and yet totally went away from his attacking style.

bull ****.

He called out his players on Sunday for not attacking. There is NO CHANCE Rex Ryan suddenly became a non-attacking coach.

His guys on the field make the pressure calls.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex killed the morale of a good defense especially Mario and Dareus.

They had problems since week 2. Once Belichick showed the NFL how to play us it was over. Rex had no answer.

agree

plus lack of discipline and focus committing so many penalties

Mario complained of last second substitutions on defense causing confusion.

Edited by ALF

I keep reading that they only added to the offense, but no one mentions that their top pick was a DROY candidate at CB.

I think Wrex's biggest mistake was telling the fans, owner and players that they were already in the playoffs. It affected the mindset (especially the defense, I think) of the players, who fell apart when things didn't go according to plan. After that, there is nothing left but to look for excuses.

"You guys are gonna be the best defense in the league, and we're going to the playoffs"...I can't recall any other NFL coaches saying this before a season. Does anyone recall another (successful) coach saying this to their team?

Edited by HoF Watkins

bull ****.

He called out his players on Sunday for not attacking. There is NO CHANCE Rex Ryan suddenly became a non-attacking coach.

His guys on the field make the pressure calls.

So when does he step in and demand pressure? It's been a fairly consistent issue through nearly a complete season

I know.

It's a shame Rex needs so many things to align to make his defense work.... What will the excuse be next year?

"No wait...I need another CB... and LB to make this defense great... again....my way."

History dictates there will be no excuse needed next year. But you ignore that because it doesn't fit your warped need to have everyone hate Rex with the same aimless lust as you.

The injuries are NOT the reason. We weren't injured the first 4 or 5 weeks and were still terrible!!

Yes they were and no they weren't.

This is BS, sorry. Injuries have not been the reason we are dropping Mario and Dareus into coverage. And injuries are not the reason we went from first to worst in sacks.

Injuries don't help, but they're not the reason we suck.

Fans like you choose to not accept this reality. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Like penalty calls and complaints about officiating, injuries are not an interesting topic. They do happen to everyone. But NOT IN THE SAME WAY.

The idea that these don't affect good teams is ludicrous. Do they even out? Maybe, in a theoretical world, over a time span of fifty years they do. In any given season, they absolutely do not.

I live in Boston. Why do you think the Pats fans think they lost to Denver? Because of the officials and the injuries!

Again, I'm not letting Rex off the hook. But I want to see how "the scheme" looks when he has the players to run it.

Edited by Flip Johnson

its coaching

Any HC or DC who drops a $100 million DL who destroyed QBs the year before into coverage is the problem

I hated Jauron for doing it.. and I despise Rex for doing it.

Injuries happen, and the winning franchises never have to blame injuries.

COACHING COACHING COACHING.. is there really any other discussion to have.. The Scheme up front was the entire issue

@MatthewFairburn

Buffalo Bills say defensive play calls are coming in late, players are 'all over the place' http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/12/buffalo_bills_say_defensive_play_calls_are_coming_in_late_players_are_all_over_t.html

CW2YSs3W4AESnlc.jpg

Corey Graham: "We're not going to win because we're not good right now."

Corey Graham: "We're all over the place. We're all over the place, we don't know what's going on half the time."

Can someone tell me if almost all of the defensive players having no idea what to do has any bearing on the HC? Anyone? Is that the injuries fault?

Is Kyle Williams a MENSA member? Is Nigel Bradham a Rhodes Scholar?

Edited by FireChan

Incorrect. The Bills were 3-2 after five games and played decently on defense in four of those five games.

3-2 doesn't mean we played well. I thought we played well against Indy. Terrible vs the Pats, very poor against the New York Football Giants and Titans. You could tell this season wasn't going to end well unless we played better and we didn't. And, I don't think we can until we get a different coach. I thought the D played well the 2 nd Pats game and that was it for the whole year!

Edit: we played really well in all facets in the Dolphins 1st game too.

Edited by Manther

They had problems since week 2. Once Belichick showed the NFL how to play us it was over. Rex had no answer.

Exactly!

The injuries are NOT an excuse because the Bills showed that horrible, terrible passive 10-15 yards off the line, no pass rush scheme since week TWO!

And everyone was healthy at that point. Rex Ryan apologized and said it was all on him, and he would fix it. He never did! All season we saw that same craptastic defense except for the next Patriots game in which the defense was able to pressure Brady on 20 of his 40 drop backs.