Dareus: Bills Jumped the Gun on the Rex Ryan Hype

26CornerBlitz

he is saying nothing more than some of us have been saying....they are moving in the right direction and it was foolish to believe it would have worked 100% in the first year...nothing to see here. this team is a good work in progress and will be more than fine

No, no it won't....and there are a million signs to prove that it will not be more than fine. This team is going to be on a decline until the true rebuild finally takes place.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the same time, those same people who claimed we would be 8-8 or 9-7 were also wrong. Their reasons are not the same reasons for our record. Not one person came out and said we would lose every RB on our Roster, Taylor would be pretty good but also miss game due to injury and play hurt the rest of the time, that all of our WRs would get hurt, some for the season, that our whole rights side of the OL and their backups would be hurt, that all our LBs would get hurt, that all of our DBs would miss time, we would lose our already thing group of safeties, our TE would be hurt at times.

Anyone who wants to stand up and start pointing fingers of "I told you so" is delusional. Literally, the refs in the Giants game stole a win from us...not to mention Hughes missing an easy tackle. And the 2 games EJ started we most likely win with Taylor if he's not hurt. That alone puts us at 9-4 before even touching everything else I mentioned.

So, people need to slow their role of wanting to be right and actually look at whats happened to this team.

:beer:

At the same time, those same people who claimed we would be 8-8 or 9-7 were also wrong. Their reasons are not the same reasons for our record. Not one person came out and said we would lose every RB on our Roster, Taylor would be pretty good but also miss game due to injury and play hurt the rest of the time, that all of our WRs would get hurt, some for the season, that our whole rights side of the OL and their backups would be hurt, that all our LBs would get hurt, that all of our DBs would miss time, we would lose our already thing group of safeties, our TE would be hurt at times.

Anyone who wants to stand up and start pointing fingers of "I told you so" is delusional. Literally, the refs in the Giants game stole a win from us...not to mention Hughes missing an easy tackle. And the 2 games EJ started we most likely win with Taylor if he's not hurt. That alone puts us at 9-4 before even touching everything else I mentioned.

So, people need to slow their role of wanting to be right and actually look at whats happened to this team.

Awfully lengthy and specific list of things-

A few certainly said injuries last year were particularly low and not generally clustered in key spots and that regressing to the mean could hurt us

I think a ton of people were worried about Tyrods durability

Colts, Broncos lost their "elite" qbs and are in contention or in. Pats are on their 4th rb down 2 wrs and gronkand o line is decimated.

But the bills injury situation no matter what offers no explanation as to why every QB they play has ALL DAY to throw the ball.

No, no it won't....and there are a million signs to prove that it will not be more than fine. This team is going to be on a decline until the true rebuild finally takes place.

and how will we know when the True rebuilding is occurring? should we just be faithful and trusting waiting for the Sun, or easier yet wait till Trump gets elected.

Colts, Broncos lost their "elite" qbs and are in contention or in. Pats are on their 4th rb down 2 wrs and gronkand o line is decimated.

But the bills injury situation no matter what offers no explanation as to why every QB they play has ALL DAY to throw the ball.

thats so weak

You make excuses why the Bills lose and then follow it up with making excuses why other teams win.

The Bills are not a complete team. Neither are most teams. The front office took the right approach this offseason in bolstering the offense with the acquisitions of Incognito, Clay, McCoy and Miller compared to the attention he defense got this offseason. Although there weren't many transactions to improve the already highly effective defense the team used its first pick in the draft to select a CB who is in contention to be a defensive rookie of the year.

We went into the season with a better OL (although still problematic) with the addition of Incognito who is playing at an all-pro level. The major impactful addition was the unexpected emergence of TT. TT is demonstrably better than the immobile Orton in his ability to throw and run. Not many people expected him to be as good as he has been. My point is that this was an upgraded team that RR took over.

To be a wildcard playoff team this team needed the defense to play near the level of the prior two years. However, the drop off of our defense has been dramatic. Has the defense sustained injuries that set it back? Somewhat. But not beyond a level that most teams endure. The last DC very adroitly rotated linemen. So there was some depth there. The dramatic decline in the defense's performance has to do with the altering of the scheme that affected the play of its players, especially Dareus, Mario and the LBs. It was the DC's decision to install his scheme before he had the players that were more suited for the scheme he preferred. That was not an intelligent approach to take especially considering that our team was in a good position to make the playoffs for the first time in a generation. That goal is not an end goal but it is something to build on.

I have said it before and I will say it again with great conviction: The Jets are a better team without the loud former HC and we are a worse team with him. As much as the dour Marrone is criticized he did more with less while Rex did less with more. When Rex took over the Bills were still a work in progress but with an upward trajectory. RR has taken this franchise backwards in his foolhardy attempt to move forward. This franchise has handcuffed itself with its own stupidity.

You are entitled to your opinion that Rex is a good coach. But in my view when a team underachieves relative to its talent level the coach is a failure.

Edited by JohnC

So you want to use the Pats...the greatest QB/HC combo in NFL history as you example? You want to use Gronks one game where he played through an injury as the comparison to what the Bills went through this year? Come on, thats got to be a joke.

Broncos didn't lose an Elite QB, the Broncos lost one of the lowest rated QB's in the NFL this year on a team with an Elite D and Elite offensive talent to the point a care taker young QB has helped them win some games. We lost our starting QB on a team not as good as the Broncos while also losing our WRs and RBs in those games, and our OL. Did Thomas and Sanders miss those games? No. Did their whole right side also miss those games? No. How about key starters in their secondary? Um No.

Again, those two scenarios aren't remotely close to ours. Funny you don't mention Dallas who is winless without their starter, like we were. Winless without their starting WR like we were. Instead you pick the two BEST teams in football with better offensive weapons and defense in Denver, and the greatest QB of our generation, if not all time, in NE.

Come on now...

You make excuses why the Bills lose and then follow it up with making excuses why other teams win.

The Bills are not a complete team. Neither are most teams. The front office took the right approach this offseason in bolstering the offense with the acquisitions of Incognito, Clay, McCoy and Miller compared to the attention he defense got this offseason. Although there weren't many transactions to improve the already highly effective defense the team used its first pick in the draft to select a CB who is in contention to be a defensive rookie of the year.

We went into the season with a better OL (although still problematic) with the addition of Incognito who is playing at an all-pro level. The major impactful addition was the unexpected emergence of TT. TT is demonstrably better than the immobile Orton in his ability to throw and run. Not many people expected him to be as good as he has been. My point is that this was an upgraded team that RR took over.

To be a wildcard playoff team this team needed the defense to play near the level of the prior two years. However, the drop off of our defense has been dramatic. Has the defense sustained injuries that set it back? Somewhat. But not beyond a level that most teams endure. The last DC very adroitly rotated linemen. So there was some depth there. The dramatic decline in the defense's performance has to do with the altering of the scheme that affected the play of its players, especially Dareus, Mario and the LBs. It was the DC's decision to install his scheme before he had the players that were more suited for the scheme he preferred. That was not an intelligent approach to take especially considering that our team was in a good position to make the playoffs for the first time in a generation. That goal is not an end goal but it is something to build on.

I have said it before and I will say it again with great conviction: The Jets are a better team without the loud former HC and we are a worse team with him. As much as the dour Marrone is criticized he did more with less while Rex did less with more. When Rex took over the Bills were still a work in progress but with an upward trajectory. RR has taken this franchise backwards in his foolhardy attempt to move forward. This franchise has handcuffed itself with its own stupidity.

You are entitled to your opinion that Rex is a good coach. But in my view when a team underachieves relative to its talent level the coach is a failure.

Injuries are real...they happen...they are not made up...the degree of impact varies team by team based on depth, the position, the quality of players lost. Our injury situation would see just about any team in the NFL struggle to win games, it was a massive amount of our BEST and most IMPORTANT players that were hurt at all of our skill positions.

Thats not an excuse, that is flat out fact. If the guy behind them were good enough to win games, they would start, not be backups. We don't have the depth or talent level to withstand the array of injuries we faced, yet we fared a lot better than other teams around the league in similar situations of loss of talent (49ers - lost most in the offseason, Ravens, Dallas, etc).

This unbelievable annoying concept that acknowledging the injury situation as severe is somehow an excuse is mind blowing. I don't know many teams that win without their starters...and at times we were missing half our starters on offense and several key players on our D at the same time, and many of their backups too...not to mention, the guys playing were often playing hurt before they were ready because we were short handed.

Not an excuse...its facts.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This unbelievable annoying concept that acknowledging the injury situation as severe is somehow an excuse is mind blowing. I don't know many teams that win without their starters...and at times we were missing half our starters on offense and several key players on our D at the same time, and many of their backups too...not to mention, the guys playing were often playing hurt before they were ready because we were short handed.

Not an excuse...its facts.

You are deliberately missing the point because it doesn't comport with your view. Buffalo has had injuries, more so on the offensive side of the ball. That is acknowledged. But that isn't what is being stressed here. Our defense has been relatively healthy. Kyle Williams is out for the season but there was still some adequate depth behind him.

The stark difference is that players such as Mario, Dareus (and even Kyle Williams when he played) and the LBers have played poorly compared to how they performed under the prior regime. The noticeable decline isn't primarily due to them being lesser players but it is the direct result that they were playing in a system that accentuated their weaknesses instead of playing to their strengths.

Our offense as it was constituted was not going to be a prolific offense. It didn't need to be. Everyone is aware of that, including the organization. What was required for this team to have a successful season was for the defense to play at a near or even lesser level that it did in the prior two years. It didn't. It took a dramatic fall that precluded this team from having a serious chance to be a serious team.

You can be annoyed all you want. But the truth of the matter is that this dopey HC felt it was more important to adhere to his time-tested scheme that worked for him at other places with different players instead of taking an approach that less adhered to the scheme he was comfortable with and more suited to the players he inherited.

This team, especially on defense, underachieved relative to its talent level. This season has been squandered because the loud coach who was hired with much fanfare demonstrated how mediocre of a coach he really is. The organization got what they brought in. They deserve what they got. I can assure you that the Jets are very happy and relieved that this self-promoting obnoxious huckster is working on the western end of the state.

No question.

The defense was disappointing before the injuries and as you said, the head coach has made this defensive line a non factor.

How anyone argues against this is beyond me....And I guarantee we hear the injury excuse in the off season. How else are they going to spin the tremendous drop off in defense with the "defensive guru" as head coach?

Most people point out that Mario is a disappointment. And that is the case, obviously so. But the player who has been castrated by this change in scheme is Dareus. He was a standout last year. He was one of the best DTs in the league at providing pressure up the middle. That's why he garnered such a large contract. He is now a shell of what he was the prior year.Coaching matters!

In hindsight I wish Schwartz would have been named the HC. He would have exercised more intelligence and common sense. When you have dumb people trying to outsmart others you are asking for trouble. We got exactly what we got!