Penalties are the biggest problem, by far

LA Grant

There are plenty of problems with this team but BY FAR the biggest one, all year!, has been penalties. Stalling or outright killing drives. Prolonging drives for the opponents. It's ridiculous. No team is going to win with the amount of penalties we've been drawing.

The blame for that falls squarely on Rex.

I don't think it's a good idea to fire Rex and change direction mid-stream yet again but something needs to be done. I'm tired of hearing them blame the officials. Figure it out.

I'm not sure what the exact solution is but maybe Pegula needs to get more involved and put some pressure on the coaches. Maybe the coaching staff gets fined for every penalty? I don't know the specific answer but it's a major problem and needs to be addressed in a more serious way than it has been.

There are plenty of problems with this team but BY FAR the biggest one, all year!, has been penalties. Stalling or outright killing drives. Prolonging drives for the opponents. It's ridiculous. No team is going to win with the amount of penalties we've been drawing.

I don't think it's a good idea to fire Rex and change direction mid-stream yet again but something needs to be done. I'm tired of hearing them blame the officials. Figure it out.

I'm not sure what the exact solution is but maybe Pegula needs to get more involved and put some pressure on the coaches. Maybe the coaching staff gets fined for every penalty? I don't know the specific answer but it's a major problem and needs to be addressed in a more serious way than it has been.

I posted something similar in recent weeks.

You can't punish them though.

Rex is not just going to become more detail oriented so they need to find a way to take some of the minutia out of his hands because he just can't handle details.

Rex is not just going to become more detail oriented so they need to find a way to take some of the minutia out of his hands because he just can't handle details.

Maybe hire a Drill Sergeant to come in and just force these guys to run drills on basic fundamentals all day the rest of the year. I'm kidding but yeah I don't know what's a realistic answer. If Rex isn't going to hold himself accountable, Pegula needs to somehow.

The penalties are inexcusable and unfortunately only a symptom of the larger problem which as you say is they're not detail oriented. WRs quit on routes, poor form in tackling, absolutely absurd taunting penalties. It's so frustrating!

How about we get rid of the undisciplined players and this losing culture?

Sounds good but I don't know if we'd have enough players to field a team then.

Blows my mind how we commit so many penalties every single game. And the sam bs phrases are used in post game interviews. "We gotta tighten things up" "we'll work on that" "can't let that happen". I'm sick of it. Absolutely inexcusable for professional athletes to commit so many penalties week after week. Pisses me off.

It really makes no logical sense. The rules are not changing. The officials do not change how they call these things. And it's not like we're getting ticky tacky calls — 90% of the time they are blatant, flagrant fouls. Not to mention how many of them are just plain stupid — taunting, late hits, offsides/neutral zone.

Yet they seem to think the problem exists outside of themselves.

:wallbash:

Penalties have been a HUGE problem for the last 3 years.

It does not fall squarely on Rex.

How about we get rid of the undisciplined players and this losing culture?

Pretty much the same roster that has been in the top tier in penalties the previous 2 years prior to Rex.

In the previous two years buffalo was 25, 31 and this year they are 31st.

It is largely a player problem.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

As I said in your thread, the penalty disparity was the difference in the game today. Edited by dave mcbride

This is nothing new. It was going on prior to Rex coming on the scene.

Agreed, but that doesn't excuse Rex.

When you take over a team with a pre-existing problem, you address it.

Rex just showed up and gave guys a thick playbook.

That may have worked 7 years ago when he was first installing his D in NY, but players don't get much practice much anymore.

You have to modify your schemes so that they will work right away.

He did not.

Last years team drew defensive penalties of aggression and when you sack the QB 60 times you will trade those penalties off.

This year, they are being asked to execute a much less aggressive/effective scheme and still making these same penalties.

It is something that needed to be addressed and being a bad head coach he did not address it.