Mike Williams.....

Bill from NYC

First, I would like to thank Clumping Platelets for the amazing effort that he puts into the issue of the salary cap. You are the man CP!!! The following is from a CP post.....

>>>MW cap numbers are:

2005: $9.17 million ($4 million salary, $2.17 million amort. , $3 million roster)

2006: same as 2005

2007: $7.17 million ($5 million salary, $2.17 million amort.)

he also has a number of NLTBE's as well that could impact the cap<<<

I want to know how this sits with the posters here. Does this border a crisis situation?

I was one of his biggest critics, but he DID pick up his game in 04. The way I see it, if he plays as well as Erik Williams did for Dallas before he lost his mind, then he MAY be worth this kind of cap hit.

If not, he does NOT deserve to be one of the largest cap hits in the NFL.

Either way yes, I have a problem with these numbers. Does anybody else?

The way I see it, if he plays as well as Erik Williams did for Dallas before he lost his mind, then he MAY be worth this kind of cap hit.

242451[/snapback]

I'd agree with that, let's see if JMac can get him to that level in 2005.

First, I would like to thank Clumping Platelets for the amazing effort that he puts into the issue of the salary cap. You are the man CP!!! The following is from a CP post.....

>>>MW cap numbers are:

2005: $9.17 million ($4 million salary, $2.17 million amort. , $3 million roster)

he also has a number of NLTBE's as well that could impact the cap<<<

I want to know how this sits with the posters here. Does this border a crisis situation?

I was one of his biggest critics, but he DID pick up his game in 04. The way I see it, if he plays as well as Erik Williams did for Dallas before he lost his mind, then he MAY be worth this kind of cap hit.

Either way yes, I have a problem with these numbers. Does anybody else?

242451[/snapback]

I would feel much better about the numbers if he were a LT. For that money, he better turn out to be the best RT in the league next season. Since the chances of that are pretty slim, I think he is getting overpaid.

I also think they need to suck it up. The OL is week enough as it is, and can't afford to cut him and look elsewhere.

I would feel much better about the numbers if he were a LT.  For that money, he better turn out to be the best RT in the league next season.  Since the chances of that are pretty slim, I think he is getting overpaid. 

I also think they need to suck it up.  The OL is week enough as it is, and can't afford to cut him and look elsewhere.

242456[/snapback]

Excellent comment, I agree entirely.

>>>MW cap numbers are:

242451[/snapback]

I think his salary and on field accomplishments is a perfect example of why the draft is way overrated and free agency is a preferable option to building a good team.

Despite the tepid pass offense, the Bill's rushing offense was adequate.

242477[/snapback]

i beg to differ. there's no way a back like mcgahee should have so many negative rushing plays. he's not a "dancer" a la barry sanders. the line was not good. it had its' moments, but overall the OL performance was fair to middling.

I find the numbers shocking for M. Williams. We are overpaying him by $3-5 million per year. He is a RT that did not get any consideration for any pro-bowl or all-pro teams.

Now I am wondering about the people who negotiate our contracts. Those escalators are ridiculous since they appear to be based on number of plays/games rather than performance.

This contract is a killer.

i beg to differ.  there's no way a back like mcgahee should have so many negative rushing plays.  he's not a "dancer" a la barry sanders.  the line was not good.  it had its' moments, but overall the OL performance was fair to middling.

242527[/snapback]

It's really not fair to judge an individual player for a team's misgivings. The lack of a credible passing threat played havoc on the team's ability to maintain a consistant running game, especially against teams that were better than average at pressuring the QB.

Mike Williams was DOMINANT quite a bit this season. It's no surprise that it happened after they got a good OL coach and a better than average guard to play next to him.

I find the numbers shocking for M. Williams.  We are overpaying him by $3-5 million per year.  He is a RT that did not get any consideration for any pro-bowl or all-pro teams.

242543[/snapback]

That should never be the measure of a player's worth. EVER. Think Ruben Brown.

Jim Kelly and Andre Reed were All Pros only once each. Thurman Thomas was twice.

i beg to differ.  there's no way a back like mcgahee should have so many negative rushing plays.  he's not a "dancer" a la barry sanders.  the line was not good.  it had its' moments, but overall the OL performance was fair to middling.

242527[/snapback]

McGahee's college scouting reports were correct. He is as advertised.

THIS SUCKS !!!!

MW just ate 6 million off of our cap. We are now reduced to signing JJ or his replacement, PW, abackup QB and a few of our RFA's

I don't see us being able to do more then a depth pick up. Finding that stud LG/OL help we desperately need doesn't look as possible as it did yesterday.

His play was improved enough in 2004, that TD needs to extend his contract and get out from under the 2005 cap number for MW. The only think that worries me about extending his contract....are we going to see a recurrence of his strange behavior like what occurred in last years training camp.

His play was improved enough in 2004, that TD needs to extend his contract and get out from under the 2005 cap number for MW.  The only think that worries me about extending his contract....are we going to see a recurrence of his strange behavior like what occurred in last years training camp.

242566[/snapback]

I'm not worried. That people in their twenties can be jerks is nothing new and not unique to athletics. Most grow out of it.

This really is a case of look this man in the eye and make a judgment. His cap hit is obviously too much for his level of play and his position. However, his future year numbers are either uncertain or not available but I think it would be a reasonable assumption to judge that an accelerated cap hit from would be untenable so cutting him when there is some (though far from guaranteed) prospect that he will reach the level of play we hoped that cutting him now is not an option.

He clearly will need to restructure his deal to a more reasonable amount or he is not simply letting down the Bills and the region, but letting down his teammates as well.

He did all of these things with his behavior last pre-season, but he at least righted the ship of play though he did not reach the levels he wanted.

He needs to redo the deal and continue to make progress or be cut as soon as he reasonably can which will probably be after this season, though I hope and expect with JMac\s guidance he will meet the goals he and we hope he will meet.

It's really not fair to judge an individual player for a team's misgivings.  The lack of a credible passing threat played havoc on the team's ability to maintain a consistant running game, especially against teams that were better than average at pressuring the QB.

Mike Williams was DOMINANT quite a bit this season.  It's no surprise that it happened after they got a good OL coach and a better than average guard to play next to him.

242546[/snapback]

Well said.

Re-doing his deal should be high priority. Especially if the roster bonus is due at the start of the FA period, March 2nd

243023[/snapback]

clump......do you have a link that backs up that cap number by any sources, be it the bills or other? where did you find the roster bonus information?

i still find this all very hard to believe.........the numbers seems way to high and, if true, shows very little foresight by TD by giving way to much leverage to MW in this situation..........

from ESPN:

1. OT Mike Williams (Texas/No. 4 overall) -- Signing bonus: $7,500,000. Base salaries: $925,000 (2002); $1,156,000 (2003); $1,388,000 (2004); $1,618,800 (2005); $1,250,000 (2006); and $1,168,750 (2007). Notes: Team has an option/buyout of $3,000,000 for 2006 season and, if exercised, base salaries are reduced to $556,250 (2003); $475,000 (2004); and $706,250 (2005). There is also an option/buyout for 2007 season at $1,250,000. Total: six years, $16,831,250. Cap value: $2,175,000.

It's really not fair to judge an individual player for a team's misgivings.  The lack of a credible passing threat played havoc on the team's ability to maintain a consistant running game, especially against teams that were better than average at pressuring the QB.

Mike Williams was DOMINANT quite a bit this season.  It's no surprise that it happened after they got a good OL coach and a better than average guard to play next to him.

242546[/snapback]

i wasn't singling out MW...just making an observation that a back like mcgahee being hit so often behind the line is a sign that the entire line wasn't doing all that great of a job. i agree that MW improved significantly.