When will this end?!...

I do not think the Bills' D under Pettine was superb at anything but sacks. Frustrating D in many ways.

possibly very true.

I will say / ask it again

Who honestly believed the Bills could have a 3rd straight season as sack leaders?

I had my doubts and expected a drop off. Not as much but still.

A lot comes from who the teams play in those seasons as well, for example having multiple 5 + sack games against bad teams

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like Rex and never have. I still am wondering how and why he got the job. Hope that he is gone by the end of the season, even if they make the POs he will never have a SB under his belt. I doubt we will have a winning season, he is consistently out coached and kind of a pos, his pressers are even more terrible than Jauron's were IMO. I want the Bills to succeed but this clown needs to be unemployed. I can not understand why we didn't hire last years D co-ordinator. Schwartz was never a clown show in Det. He did not have that much success but he was good. I also don't like who we brought in to be our offensive guru, they really upgraded on the O and then hired another "looks good in the window" type. I hate to say this but when we hired Marrone instead we should have hired Andy Reid. Even I, didn't think that at the time but it is true.
One of the biggest and most obvious things we can have all learned over the years is that we really should have been copying the most successful team in the league and we never have. Front office down, the best way to compete with the Cheaters* is to draw up the same plans. We have the 6th round QB now, get rid of Rex and go from there.

That's pretty harsh.

I find Rex to be a Reasonable honest guy. trying to turn turn the Media into Fans. His humor is often self deprecating and silly. Either you think it kinda funny or you think he is and idiot,

i suppose. But he is not stupid and not blind.

and i have no idea why you think we are the laughing stock. or a circus. Thats Cleveland :flirt:

We certainly are not darlings though. And we are not playoff caliber. yet.

my post was not about whether Rex is honest or funny. It's about whether he is competent and he is not. As far as us being a laughingstock, do you talk to anyone outside of Buffalo?

I do - plenty - and the consensus is we got fleeced by a huckster. Are you comfortable with his game day decision making and competence? I think that should be the threshold for Rex's ability as HC.

The team that Ryan inherited was an upgrade from last year's 9-7 team, especially on offense. Although our OL still has issues it is markedly better with the addition of Incognito. It isn't great but with the exception at RT the line is competent. As much as some people complain about our qbing situation it is better with TT than it was with Orton. The addition of playmakers such as McCoy and Clay definitely increased the potency of the offense compared to what existed last year.

The staffing of this year's defense was very similar to last year's staffing. Adding Darby at CB was an upgrade. Without a doubt doubt injuries have taken a toll. But Ryan inherited a top tier defense and by any measurement he he has downgraded it. The altering of the defensive scheme has diminished the performances of Dareus and Mario, who were top tier players under Schwartz.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity has to acknowledge that the unlikeable Marrone got more out of the talent he had to work with than the current self-promoting huckster HC has gotten out of his roster. It's not surprising that this sloppy HC leads a team that is frequently penalized and doesn't consistently play with intelligence. What is evident to anyone watching these games is that coaching matters!

Agreed!! Don't care for Marrone either, FYI.

Also dont forget the instances where teams have been able to put decent QBs in place. Arizona with Warner and Palmer. Denver with Manning. Drew Brees was had as an FA

This is why we need to get Stafford in FA. Stafford to Watkins all day long.

I think a lot of it has to do with having 4, four team conferences, and mainly - having to play those teams twice.

There are 32 teams in the NFL and 5 of them are experiencing the longest playoff drought in their franchises history. That is over 15%, which I think is a LOT. Two of those teams are us and the Fish, who share a conference with that cheating team from Massachusetts.

And for the record, our last playoff game was played January of 2000, following the 1999 season. So the 2000 season was our first playoff-less season. That makes it 16 season, not 15

This is why we need to get Stafford in FA. Stafford to Watkins all day long.

Lions offensive rankings 2011-2015: 4th, 17th, 13th, 22nd, 24th.

Sure, not all on Stafford, but.....as long as Rex is the HC this is a run first team. Do you invest (if he becomes available) 20M per on a guy who's going to hand-off 55% of the offensive snaps? Not to mention, where is the money coming from? An increase in the cap isn't covering this even with a release of Mario and Kyle.

Besides, this OL isn't built to pass block in support of a passing team even if Rex suddenly changed his offensive tune.

Man, some of the excuses I've read here over the years. :doh:

Now its going to take years for Rex Ryan to implement his defensive scheme? What? Rex Ryan was handed the keys to the #4 overall defense, and they are currently 20th. He took over the NUMBER ONE team in the NFL in sacks, and they are now 30th!!! This when the Bills added the probable defensive rookie of the year in Ron Darby?

The guy is the very same loud mouthed bum that I was laughing at last year when Marrone / Schwartz beat the NY Jets 43-23. Then just before the second game he stated his Jets team would play 1000% better in the next game against Buffalo, and was blown out 38-3. His team went 4-12 last year, and he blamed it all on the GM, and QB. Ryan looked lost on the sidelines in NY, and now he is here in Buffalo. :bag:

Spot on comments!. Rexmay be funny and genuine in front of a camera but this doesn't excuse his incompetence and poor coaching. He is who we thought he was

my post was not about whether Rex is honest or funny. It's about whether he is competent and he is not. As far as us being a laughingstock, do you talk to anyone outside of Buffalo?

I do - plenty - and the consensus is we got fleeced by a huckster. Are you comfortable with his game day decision making and competence? I think that should be the threshold for Rex's ability as HC.

Alright. No i dont talk to anyone at all honestly.

The comments about his personality were to the general public. Some think he acts clownish or baffoon like.

I like the guy. I think he is very intelligent and knows football.

Is he having success. Not so much.

But i don't feel its as cut and dry as some make it out to be. The progress has been slow and some times the mistakes are glaring. But I dont care much about what folks outside of Buffalo think. I am a Bills Fan. So i want Rex to succeed.

Wont find me closing the book on him yet, by any means.

Back in 1986 I looked up at my Dad and asked him "Dad? Are the Bills ever going to be good?".... He replied, "someday they will Son, someday".

A few years later they were in the Super Bowl.

Last year my son looked up at me asked "Dad? Are the Bills ever going to be good?".... I replied, "someday they will Son, someday".

You take a great X defense and you put it in the hands of a Z defense guy and it always seems to entail a step backwards even though said defense Z coach always says he'll modify his defense to the strengths of his players- the coach is lying to the owner, to the fans, and probably to himself - NFL coaches have huge egos, probably can't make it to the NFL without it, and I doubt any deep down think that designing schemes to fit players strengths is more important than having the players run his defense the way he wants it run.

You take a great X defense and you put it in the hands of a Z defense guy and it always seems to entail a step backwards even though said defense Z coach always says he'll modify his defense to the strengths of his players- the coach is lying to the owner, to the fans, and probably to himself - NFL coaches have huge egos, probably can't make it to the NFL without it, and I doubt any deep down think that designing schemes to fit players strengths is more important than having the players run his defense the way he wants it run.

What else is the guy going to say?

Hey guys, its going to take awhile to implement all this crap. So dont get too excited about this season.

I think you have a reasonable point though.

There are all kinds of embarrassing records/moments in sports:

The previously winless 0-18 Sixers...

The winless Detroit Lions of 2008...

The 1993-94 Dallas Mavericks debacle..

Four straight Super Bowl losses (I don't consider this an "embarrassment,by the way, but fans outside of the Bills do)...

But when you stand back and look at the last 15 year's of this playoff drought, it's quite astounding that one professional sports team, especially in this day-in-age of salary caps/free agency etc., can miss on as many things as they've missed on in this span...

Nobody expected the team to win in 2001, as the Bills at that point were dubbed as being in "salary cap hell", and we went 3-13.

But the following year, things seemed on the up and up with the drafting of rookie sensation Mike Williams out if Texas and the acquisition of Drew Bledsoe from the Patriots. I'm sure nobody realistically expected playoffs in 2002, but the Bills did finish at a respectable 8-8, a 5 win swing from the disastrous year before. And the offense was transforming into pure dynamite!

2003 had to be "their year", right?!..The Bills, fresh of an outstanding 2002 offensively, added crucial parts to solidify their defense. Acquiring standout linebacker Takeo Spikes from the Bengals, and even scooping up VERY recently released Safety Lawyer Milloy from the Patriots, just six days before the home opener! The Bills unleashed an embarrassing 31-0 thrashing of the defending Super Bowl champions. However, the week 17 matchup between the divisional rivals, although ending eerily with the same score, would find the Bills at the opposite end of that score. Even though the Bills started like a house of fire in 2003, injuries, inexcusable losses to less talented opponents would catch up with them throughout the year, as the Bills and Pats would head in opposite directions after week 1. The Bills finishing 6-10...the Pats winning a second consecutive Super Bowl.

The 2004 campaign began with the hire of offensive guru Mike Mularkey as the Bills new Head Coach. This was supposed to be the spark that put Bledsoe and co. over the hump. Instead, the Bills started 2-5. But a late season surge put the Bills in prime position to get into the postseason. At 9-6, the Bills simply needed to get a victory over the Steelers at Ralph Wilson Stadium and they were in! In fact, Pittsburgh, with their postseason seed already established, played mostly their third stringers against the Bills.And the Bills we still caught flat footed!

2005 brought a year of a youth movement at the quarterback position. The Bills handed the reigns over to Tulane rookie JP Losman. And over the course of the next few years, even though showing glimpses of promise, the game overwhelmed Losman as well as new Head coach and alleged defensive guru, Dick Jauron. 7-9 was seemingly the expectation of the team until 2009 arrived...when the Bills signed a man who was the polar opposite to not only the image of its franchise, but it's fans and city. But at this point, all of the above were willing to do whatever it took to end the playoff drought.

Along he came..he had left America's Team for "North America's Team" (whatever the hell that meant). But T.O. was never enough alone to get the Bills in serious contention in his short tenure, and would move on to Cincinnati.

In 2011, the Bills would race out to a 3-0 start under yet another new Head coach, Chan Gailey. This was even the year the Bills would end the losing streak to the hated Patriots, overcoming a 21-0 deficit at the Ralph, only to see players drop like flies yet again throughout the year, and another 6-10 season.

Gailey would be fired after the 2012 season, and Doug Marrone would take the reigns. But Marrones teams would fair only mildly better. Average quarterback play from rookie EJ Manuel and journeyman backup Kyle Orton did give the Bills a 9-7 2014 record. However, inexcusable losses to the Oakland Raiders and other sub par opponents proved the Bills weren't ready for the postseason.

So, here we are. 2015...and the Bills bring aboard the infamous Rex Ryan. A an who not only came from the rival New York Jets, but led them to two consecutive AFC Championship game appearances in the process. Although Ryan's departure from the Jets was awkward, resentful and much publicized, the Bills needed a new attitude! They needed someone to give this defense, that although they led the NFL in sacks in 2014, that extra push to perhaps shoulder the load that a new offense learning a new system under Greg Roman couldn't provide this year. They needed someone to push this defense to become...a bully. To become "the greatest defense of all time".

Instead, we sit at 5-6. W seemingly have a coach who has no urgency to beat opponents outside of New Jersey and Foxboro, MA.

We have a defense that makes Spencer Ware look like Christian Okoye back in the '90s.

We have a quarterback who, although athletically talented, looks lost in his reads every single time he drops back to pass.

We have an all world receiver, who's offensive coordinator goes away from him inexplicably after having 100+ yards in one half.

We have a team that loses games it should win. (See the Jaguars game in London, see last week after racing to a 10-0 lead in KC).

How can a franchise miss on things for this long?! When will this nightmare end for us?!!!...

Dude it's Buffalo, the city of good losers. It will NEVER end. Not in this millenium anyway. The Patriots will rule for at least 10 more years.

Back in 1986 I looked up at my Dad and asked him "Dad? Are the Bills ever going to be good?".... He replied, "someday they will Son, someday".

Last year my son looked up at me asked "Dad? Are the Bills ever going to be good?".... I replied, "someday they will Son, someday".

And in a few more years they will still be at the bottom of the league. This franchise is doomed for a long, long, long time. Stay drunk my friend, the games are much easier to watch that way.

My sons were born in '93, '96, '97 and they asked that when they were very young. Then as they got older they asked why I wasted my time. Now all 3 are grown and away in college and not one of them has any memory of the Bills ever being good or in the playoffs. My oldest will watch occasionally but my 2 youngest couldn't care less. And honestly I can't blame them.