Refs in Football

Numark3

How about the hogan play

You cannot expect an official to make the correct call on the Maclin pass in real time. It's a microscopic play. You have to see it in slow motion from a perfect angle to know it was not a catch. That's ridiculous to blame officials on that play. Blame Bills coaches in the booth not alerting Rex in time not the officials.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's why I stopped doing the zebra report. The NFL referees are more incompetent than the Bills coaching staff. And that's sayin' somethin'.

You cannot expect an official to make the correct call on the Maclin pass in real time. It's a microscopic play. You have to see it in slow motion from a perfect angle to know it was not a catch. That's ridiculous to blame officials on that play. Blame Bills coaches in the booth not alerting Rex in time not the officials.

Yes we can. They called that complete, but yet called Sammy out of bounds twice in prior weeks when he was clearly inbounds. They are paid to make those calls in real time, and they fail a lot.

How sad is that? We can't expect officials to get a call correct?

This is my point, the system is clearly broken. There should be a ref in the booth looking at that catch immediately.

How about this:

-Simplify the rules

-Allow challenges on the following penalties: personal fouls, pass interference, penalties that WERE called on a scoring play.

-There should be an NFL center like hockey has, where there are a number of officials with HD views of all plays. They should be able to signal in a correct call when the refs make a mistake. This doesn't apply to penalties. These wouldn't be extended reviews, but just a quick call that is deemed the call on the field. This would need a lot of hashing out. For example, if they don't signal in a new call or that they are reviewing it before the play is set, then they cannot change the ruling. There reviews should be limited to 20-25 seconds

This means the maclin catch and hogan catch would have been reviewed by refs instantly to make a call on the field. The bills could have challenged the maclin push off.

Edited by Crayola64

It's why I stopped doing the zebra report. The NFL referees are more incompetent than the Bills coaching staff. And that's sayin' somethin'.

Yes we can. They called that complete, but yet called Sammy out of bounds twice in prior weeks when he was clearly inbounds. They are paid to make those calls in real time, and they fail a lot.

There were four different angles on the Maclin catch I saw on replay. Only one of the four could you tell he dropped it. And even then it was an inch. And it was super slo mo. If you are not in perfect position and get a perfect view you still wouldn't have a great idea of whether it was an inch incomplete or an inch complete. Expecting anyone anywhere to make that particular call correct more than 50-50 is asking too much. Three out of four slow motion replays didn't show it. Edited by Kelly the Dog

There were four different angles on the Maclin catch I saw on replay. Only one of the four could you tell he dropped it. And even then it was an inch. And it was super slo mo. If you are not in perfect position and get a perfect view you still wouldn't have a great idea of whether it was an inch incomplete or an inch complete. Expecting anyone anywhere to make that particular call correct more than 50-50 is asking too much. Three out of four slow motion replays didn't show it.

Right, refs cant be expected to make the correct call on the field, and they have NO WAY to get the call correct. That is the definition of a broken system, sorry

Right, refs cant be expected to make the correct call on the field, and they have NO WAY to get the call correct. That is the definition of a broken system, sorry

Not on a long pass like that where the guy dives and hits the ground and may or may not have held the ball long enough as it hit the ground. The Hogan play they flat blew. That's an easy call in the middle of the field and if one ref called it wrong another should have told him not it was a catch. I'm not saying the refs shouldn't be responsible for making the right call 99% of the time. But the Maclin play was not in any way in any world an easy call.

How about this:

-Simplify the rules

-Allow challenges on the following penalties: personal fouls, pass interference, penalties that WERE called on a scoring play.

-There should be an NFL center like hockey has, where there are a number of officials with HD views of all plays. They should be able to signal in a correct call when the refs make a mistake. This doesn't apply to penalties. These wouldn't be extended reviews, but just a quick call that is deemed the call on the field. This would need a lot of hashing out. For example, if they don't signal in a new call or that they are reviewing it before the play is set, then they cannot change the ruling. There reviews should be limited to 20-25 seconds

This means the maclin catch and hogan catch would have been reviewed by refs instantly to make a call on the field. The bills could have challenged the maclin push off.

It is so stupid that a ref has to 'go under the hood' and unnecessarily delay the game by minutes every challenge. The majority of calls that are wrong are easily and almost immediately seen by anyone/everyone watching on TV who sees the replay. Just have an official in the booth who calls down when the replay shows an error to correct it. How hard is that?

There were four different angles on the Maclin catch I saw on replay. Only one of the four could you tell he dropped it. And even then it was an inch. And it was super slo mo. If you are not in perfect position and get a perfect view you still wouldn't have a great idea of whether it was an inch incomplete or an inch complete. Expecting anyone anywhere to make that particular call correct more than 50-50 is asking too much. Three out of four slow motion replays didn't show it.

Then change the system so that all calls are reviewed. If the ability of the players to play has outstripped the ability of humans to officiate real time, then you have to use technology to fix it. The expediency of only allowing 2 challenges per team is beginning to impact the integrity of the game.

What other sport can fans be mad at coaching every week for not fixing ref's pathetic attempts at calling the right play? Rex deserves blame and should be fired, but there is a deeper problem in football right now. The refs dictate the outcome way too much

I've been thinking this for a while, now. Football has gone from being a team sport where one player (the QB) either makes or breaks the success of the team. That makes it easier for the officials throw the game one way, or the other. I call it the NBA-ification of football. But crap calls like that PI just before the half happen far to often. The officials should not be able to decide who wins. They do, though.

I used to love this game. I try to tell myself at the beginning of recent years that my impression of today's NFL is because the Bills have been bad for so long. They are not a bad team this year. But the officiating combined with today's QB-centric game leaves me wondering, why the heck do I still care about this game? I don't know that I have an answer anymore. I do know I turned off my auto-renew on my GamePass account though, today.

It is so stupid that a ref has to 'go under the hood' and unnecessarily delay the game by minutes every challenge. The majority of calls that are wrong are easily and almost immediately seen by anyone/everyone watching on TV who sees the replay. Just have an official in the booth who calls down when the replay shows an error to correct it. How hard is that?

Agreed

That's funny I was yelling at the tv no catch before they showed the replay it didn't help the antiquated ref by the play was wallowing around on the ground, the announcers didn't catch it until after the next play. My question who is responsible for for getting this information to Rex, when the opposing team is rushing down the field on a long completion to hurry and get a play off it's a safe bet they think it's incomplete.

You must have been watching a diferent telecast I have bad eyesight and I saw it.

Was it just me, or did it seem like the Chefs got away with a lot of holding calls from their left tackle?

Every time we were coming with pressure, it seemed that their left tackle was holding, holding, holding.

Edited by Bacchus44

They were easy calls to challenge. Automatic reversals and the Bills didn't even bother. Asleep @ the switch????

In any case the call should be made in a central location on 100" HD TV's. Going underneath the hood and protecting their brethren is just plain stupid.

It is again a no brainer.....

Let's face it officiating was once again lousy,but lets not overlook that the core veterans on this football team come up woefully short almost 100% of the time for the past decade in any big game, what's their excuse this week the nearly all backup o-line was just to good for our vaunted defense, or the noise at Arrowhead was to much, there was a lot of blue in there today.

Edited by Martifal